User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
Teckhardt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Pissed Gas smell after canister and SAS removal

I went for my first long ride after the removal of all the junk. I smelled gas when I got home so I checked the breather hoses - I had run them down past the top of the skid in front on both sides. Both hoses had liquid coming out them - smelled like gas but was kinda oily in consistency. Is this normal? Do I have a venting problem? There was only about a 1/4 of a tank of fuel and it was not hot out today.

thanks
Teckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:09 PM   #2
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckhardt
I went for my first long ride after the removal of all the junk. I smelled gas when I got home so I checked the breather hoses - I had run them down past the top of the skid in front on both sides. Both hoses had liquid coming out them - smelled like gas but was kinda oily in consistency. Is this normal? Do I have a venting problem? There was only about a 1/4 of a tank of fuel and it was not hot out today.

thanks
Which breather hoses? Gas tank? Would seem strange that they would be leaking gas at this time of year as you noted.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
tn-steve
Addicted

Oddometer: 1,540
How'd the bike run on the ride? How much liquid is coming out of the hoses?
tn-steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:16 PM   #4
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,342
I suspect it is simply remaining residue from when they were piped to the canister. That is unless you cleaned them out. But you certainly could get enough vapors from the fuel to condensate out inside the vent hoses. With this mod you will from time to time get a gas smell simply because of the lack of the canister.
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
Teckhardt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

They were the tank breathers from the fittings on the front of the tanks.

There were only a few drops from each hose. She ran fine - like a scalded cat

No, I did not clean them out after recycling them from the canister removal. I did think of that so I will hope that that is it. Going to do the cap vent mod too just to be on the safe side.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:55 PM   #6
tmh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
One of my local good wrenches on the 950 (he has an "S" himself) mentions that it is important to have the hoses off the front tank vents "loop" above the level of fuel which will ever be in the tanks, or you will get some dripping. He did something (which, unfortunately, I did not inspect) to his bike where he brought both vent hoses up, out and too a Tee fitting, then used a single line from the tee as a drain.

I recently looped my vent hoses up individually, using loose zip-ties to keep them in place, and have noticed less fuel odors. I didn't have the OEM vent lines, so I had just bought some clear tubing from a hardware store. You could see at the end of each hose some road grime which was sticking to fuel which was exiting the vent lines. Made the hoses black at their ends for about 1.5 inches. So I may have been dripping a little (condensed vapor?) gas originally, but now I don't seem to be any more.

Tom
Old 03-17-2007, 06:53 AM   #7
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,949
Sometimes after refueling a gas cap doesn't latch and I get a fuel smell. I've never noticed anything from my fuel vents, though. Well, maybe once when I dropped it with full tanks.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:03 AM   #8
retroone
Beastly Adventurer

Looks like you found out why there was a canister on it in the first place.
Maybe thats why they run like shite when it gets all shook up or goes into rest mode.
retroone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:33 AM   #9
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Bluhduh Just an FYI for those that have missed it the dozens of times before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckhardt

thanks
Even with the canisterectomy, the tanks may not vent properly until the caps are modified. See this link for more info on that:

Also, many folks assume that the elbows at the front of the tanks are holes directly into the tanks. They are not. They are plumbed back to the caps. From there the vapors must travel though a maze of very tiny passages to get to the inside of the fuel tanks. These tiny passages are easily blocked with liquid fuel, the effect of which closely replicates a pinched vent line or clogged canister.

Aloha
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem screwed with this post 03-17-2007 at 10:50 AM
cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:43 AM   #10
Teckhardt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
Even with the canisterectomy, the tanks may not vent properly until the caps are modified
Yup. Saw your post on that earlier and did the mod yesterday. Only takes 10 mins or so.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:12 PM   #11
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

Damn, guess I forgot to put my copyright label on my photo sheet. At least it is being put to good use.

Goss
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:42 PM   #12
Teckhardt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goss
Damn, guess I forgot to put my copyright label on my photo sheet. At least it is being put to good use.

Goss

I can just mail you the .000001 cent royalty
Old 03-18-2007, 07:58 AM   #13
Pedrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goss

Goss
How did you ever come up with the idea to look at the fuel tank cap to do this mod???
Pedrom is offline   Reply With Quote