User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2007, 03:22 AM   #1
Will LC8 OP
I stubbed my toe

Oddometer: 586
Enclosed trailer setup ideas

I'm picking up a 6x10 box trailer this week intended for bike hauling and camping. Does any body have a trailer set up for that and have some pictures to share to get some ideas.

http://abuddyforlife.org/
Will LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:25 AM   #2
Tallboy
hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer: 12,378
I've looked here for ideas on making things for garage/trailer organization...

http://blazinbelltech.com/

Todd Snider
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:41 AM   #3
drmajor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Trailer camping

I have done this with a 6x12.

The best "Bed" is a air mattress!!!! You can make it as firm as you like. When done, it deflates and folds up small.

Cabinets- I used some various methods to store things.

1- Rubermade has some plastic wall cabinets that work well and don't weigh a lot. The previouse post with the Aluminum are VERY nice- just a little pricey for me.

2- Wire shelves- Lowes / Home Depot. These work well to hang clothes from, put boots and helmets on. Make sure to put them in such a way so you can use stretch nets to holds things on them. Voce of knowledge.

3- Tie downs- I really like the LA chock with floor kit to make removal easy. When you get where you are going, remove LA for a almost smooth floor. Also, I think Ankra makes some tie down points that simply slip out- out of the way when not needed. Also - E-TRack is great way to go..

4- VENTS--- VERY important to be able to breath- w/o bugs. Mine has a side vent up front and back and a roof vent. The roof vent has a plastic cover so I can leave it open in all kinds of weather!!!!! Important. W/o Vents, you will get little oxygen and in the winter, the walls will run with condensation.!!!

5- Lighting. LED works good. Some 12v for sure.

6- Tire chocks- trailer. be sure to get some way to level the trailer. It's a pain trying to sleep with the trailer way off kilter.!!!! I found some 12" square plastic about 2" thick at a camping supply- they look kinda like Legos. You can stack them to get the tire level.

7- Trailer supports. Strongly suggest the trailer have rear legs to support when off the car's hitch. This way, it won't tip when you walk to the back. Not fun when everything in the trailer flows on top of you in the back. Many trailers have this or as an option.

8- side Door-!!!!!

9- Rear Ramp Door!!!!

10- Awning- I installed 2-4 stainless screw eyes out side, into the roof support beams. I use them to attach a tarp. The other end of the tarp is supported by some adjustable tent poles - 8-10'. This is a great place to park the bike and sit in your lawn chair.!!! Worth the effort.

11- Trailer chocks... BE SURE to Chock the trailer tires.!!! A rolling trailer is not fun either.

12- If an option, put a screen door on the side door- Better for warm weather.!!
drmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:54 AM   #4
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
+1 drmajor

also build a screen for the back door--one of those walk-through style they sell for garage doors can be made.

LIGHTS!! can't be stressed enough.

6x10 will fill up FAST. you will probably have to fill the floor between the bike(s) with stuff. The better grade rubbermaid-type containers with wheels are easy to move around. Lowes or HD sell ones to be used as toolboxes that are fairly good.

Batteries--a couple good deepcycles so you have some power--enough for lights, small compressor, etc.

Camping--my all-time favorite car-camping toy is a Coleman Hot Water On Demand. Water heater about the size of a breadbox--nothing like a hot shower to wash the dirt off at the end of the day. http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...ct_id=2300-700
Old 03-20-2007, 08:18 AM   #5
Lurking Luddite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Marine battery box on tongue.
Large tool box on tongue, behind battery box holds 5 gal water jug that can be plumbed into small corner sink. Along with getting alot of other crap out of trailer.
Folding table strapped to wall, can be used indoor or out.
Awning on trailer sure is a nice feature.
Jacknife style wheel chocks fold almost flush to floor [work great nothing to remove and store, and tie downs can placed inside.]
RV surplus should have 12V lights, small sinks and windows at good prices.
If getting a new trailer order 6 in taller so you can walk in ramp door and a side door is a nice feature.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
drmajor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Trailer camping

Agree with RW, a 6x10 will be SMALLL FAST. My 6x12 is almost too small. Once my bike is in, I can't walk front to back, but at least I have about 3-4' up front. My 6x12 Wells Cargo has the Bubble Nose cone and on the inside, the support bar is an ideal place to hang clothes and anything else.

The Rubbermaid cabinet I used is the 7888
Wall Cabinet. Works Great- just put a more secure latch. http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid...d=HpdCat140004

My next trailer will be a 7x14. That will be about right for light weight "camping" on wheels. It will carry two bikes (a friends') and a King Size air mattress fits nicely..!!

Attached is a shot of my Wells Cargo 6x12 with my KTM in it. Up front, the support bar is for clothes, but we also hang chairs, tie downs & etc. To the left is the cabinet with two wire shelves over it. The shelves are spaced to fit my wife's and my helmets ( pad them), gloves, and etc. Below the cabinet goes our boots and jack. Works Pretty well, but a 7' wide sure would be way better. However, some cars would have trouble pulling it.

drmajor screwed with this post 12-02-2007 at 05:10 AM
drmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:43 PM   #7
Will LC8 OP
I stubbed my toe

Oddometer: 586
6x10 maybe small but I'm limited on space,tow vehicle size and money. I ordered it with several limited options.

6" extra interior height (should be 6'6" interior height)
two interior lights
rear ramp door
side door with a flush lockable latch (camping trailer door type latch)
diamond plate front stone guard
roof vent
torsion axle
electric brakes
rear jacks

I should of seen if I could of got a screen door for the side as well but its to late now. I think I also ordered the next size up tire/rim combo. The base price grows quickly when you start adding options so I limited to what I deemed important.

A roll up screen door for the rear is a good idea I never thought of.

http://abuddyforlife.org/

Will LC8 screwed with this post 03-20-2007 at 04:39 PM
Will LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:07 PM   #8
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
looks like you got the "bones" right. the rest of the stuff is easy to add on later as the money tree grows back.

It does get REAL expensive if you have to get a new vehicle to pull it. and bigger house to fit it in the garage.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:02 PM   #9
PackRat
Huey Guns

Oddometer: 1,439
One thing I did with my trailer was to attach two nylon hammocks high on each side (running fore and aft) with some military helmet bags enclosed so light stuff like helmets and jackets are stowed against the sides up high off the floor.
Yungas Rd.-Bolivia, Alaska '08 - Labrador '10 -
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote