User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2006, 02:07 PM   #1
mreimler OP
Adventure Crasher

Oddometer: 333
No Shoei "XD" at this time

Here's the response from Shoei when I asked about them building an Arai XD style helmet. If you have a SHoei head and want a helmet like the XD. Call or email Shoei and we might get them to take notice of a potential market.

Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 3:28 PM
To: Reimler, Mark
Subject: Re: New Shoei styles?

Shoei has no intentions at this time to make a "dual sport" helmet.

Best Regards,

Shoei Safety Helmet Corp
Patrick Houlihan
Customer Service
(714) 730-0941 ext 101

----- Original Message -----
To: ,
Sent: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 14:55:37 -0500
Subject: New Shoei styles?

When is Shoei going to make a helmet similar in style/function to the
Arai XD? Arai helmets don't fit my head plus the crappy Arai visor
vibrates annoyingly at speeds over 50mph.

Shoei makes great products, I'm on my 6th Shoei helmet, but I would like
a dual sport helmet and the market is pretty limited as of now.

Mark Reimler

mreimler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:16 PM   #2
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,899
Shoei Hornet.....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69818
Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:17 PM   #3
BirdmanH54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
You mean like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Shoei...spagenameZWDVW
BirdmanH54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:21 PM   #4
mreimler OP
Adventure Crasher

Wtf

It's OK for me to not know the Shoei helmet product line but it's not good when Shoei doesn't know their own product line. I think I'll send this link to the guy at Shoei.

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,899
To be fair.....I don't think it's a US market model. I know it's certainly not available here in the UK.
Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:26 PM   #6
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,665
It's not available in the US market and this is not the "gear" forum, please take the post there you'll have a much better response,...........maybe.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:28 PM   #7
Jolly705
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,312
A lot of my friend have the Shoei Hornet which is the same thing as the XD. No idea why they would send an email out like that It is actually a lot lighter as well.
Attached Images

Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 03:13 PM   #8
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,289
dumb comment

2 SPOT screwed with this post 09-08-2006 at 01:53 PM
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:45 PM   #9
Kuhndog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Shoei 'XD' in Japan

On a business trip a almost 2 years ago I went to 'Motorcycle Town' just outside Tokyo. The Shoei helmet you are looking for was readily available and I tried a couple on. It's a nice helmet, but has a decidedly different support mechanism/design than the XD. It wraps around the lower part of your skull giving steady pressure and support. Kind of cool, but also feels kind of weird. Personal preference I suppose. Anyway, I bought an Arai while there instead. Called the Tour Cross, but it's an XD. One surprise was that nice helmets were more afordable in Japan than in the US. That was about the only thing that was more affordable!

So, if your hell bent on getting this helmet get yourself a bargain basement ticket to Tokyo. Hop a train to 'Motor Cycle Town' in Ueno and pick one out. They will even haggle a little. That and some Sushi the whole thing shouldn't cost you more than a $1,000

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
Kuhndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:53 PM   #10
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreimler
It's OK for me to not know the Shoei helmet product line but it's not good when Shoei doesn't know their own product line. I think I'll send this link to the guy at Shoei.

Thanks for the info.
Patrick Houlihan's full-time job probably involves answering 100s of emails a day and the answer to 99% of them is "No."
Old 09-07-2006, 08:14 PM   #11
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,699
This sort of thing happens A LOT with companies that have branches in other Countries/Markets. I contacted PIAA on something similar and PIAA USA did not to what PIAA Japan has in their line-up. A US sales rep probably won't have a clue what the Japan has unless he actually uses the product and stays on top by watching the Japanese Corporate. Even though they're the same company, it's like their two different companies.

I like the Shoei Hornet. I've been looking around and it seems you can get them shipped for $400 and change off a ebay store. They are shipped direct from Japan. Just a bit cheaper then flying to Japan.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:33 AM   #12
mreimler OP
Adventure Crasher

Here's the reply I received after mentioning to the Shoei guy that they DO make the helmet I asked about.

Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 4:29 PM
To: Reimler, Mark
Subject: RE: New Shoei styles?

I am aware of all of our helmets, and in being so, I know that the helmet you are referring to is not a North American helmet. It is illegal to use that helmet on public roads in the US, because it is not DOT approved. I also know that Shoei has no intentions at this time to release that helmet in the US.

Best Regards,

Shoei Safety Helmet Corp
Patrick Houlihan
Customer Service
(714) 730-0941 ext 101

----- Original Message -----
To:
Sent: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 16:24:19 -0500
Subject: RE: New Shoei styles?

Patrick,

Seems Shoei already makes a "dual sport" helmet. You might want to bone
up on the product line.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69818

Mark

Old 09-08-2006, 09:02 AM   #13
DakotaKid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT
this is a perfect example of how detached from the real world most big companies are
No it isn't. The rep didn't want to send the poor guy down a long road of trying to track down a helmet not being imported to the US that isn't DOT approved.
DakotaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:46 AM   #14
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaKid
No it isn't. The rep didn't want to send the poor guy down a long road of trying to track down a helmet not being imported to the US that isn't DOT approved.
Sounds like he's just covering his and the companies butt. He could have simplay stated that his company does make a 'dual-sport' helmet but because of lack of interest and/or little to no margins, they have not imported them and because of such, they haven't been DOT approved. If they can make a profit they'd jump into the market. It's not like they will need to spend a bunch of money to R&D the project from the ground up so it could be added to the linup fairly quickly if they get enough interest.

Instead he gave a cut and dry no with his cut and paste reply.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:48 PM   #15
BigMac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
After the recent Ca District court ruling, "DOT Approved" helmet was defined as non existant and useless. Any police jurisdiction attempting to write a ticket for use of helmet on public road not bearing a DOT sticker is asking for a law suit. I've been wearing helmets for several years that lack DOT sticker and have never been cited.

As for the Shoei Hornet, I'd wear one if it fit. The X-11 is my preferred track helmet, a size L is a perfect fit. I tried both the size L and XL in Hornet and the fit was terrible. I couldn't begin to get the L on my dome and the XL was smashing my forehead. I was hoping Shoei's claims that Asian models use different shell shape than NA models was bogus, unfortunately it appears to be very accurate. If I had to relate sizing and shape, I'd say the Hornet is much closer to a Suomy or most of the Arai helmets I've tried (not XD however which fits me decently). Be sure you can get a full refund for improper fit before you buy that Hornet. I'd also warn potential buyers of the very gaudy "Hornet" label on rear section of helmet. Take care
BigMac is offline   Reply With Quote