Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2007, 05:44 AM   #16
ldeikis
Dirty daydreamer

Oddometer: 718
I have the Parnes balancer and it's the business--beautifully machined and works flawlessly--but in retrospect it would have been awfully easy to make something more or less as good. Go to a skateboard shop, buy a few bearings; go to the hardware store and buy a length of steel rod. Stick the rod through the wheel, slide the bearings on the rod, and set the whole thing on a couple cinder blocks. Bingo. I can't think of how having a narrower "axle" in the wheel/balancer affects anything too much, and not having it snugged to the bearings (ie, with Marc's beautifully machined cones) shouldn't matter, either.

And +1 on rimlocks. Run 80mph on a bike with rimlocks front and back and tell me it doesn't need balanced! On the flip side, I've never bothered to balance the tires since balancing them years ago when I installed the rimlocks. If the tire were out of balance enough to overcome the huge weight of the rimlock you could probably feel it in your hands

...and I use regular stick-on weights from AutoZone. I tried the clamp on ones and they didn't stay put, kept sliding up and down the spokes. If you can't find some in the store, send your girlfriend to a tire change place with a smile.

-Luke
"To them, the bike's garage clutter. To us, it's a Beretta, half a mil' in cash, and a forged passport hidden under the floorboards. Whether it's used or not, that choice is always there." --Dan Walsh, Bike, December 2003
ldeikis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:59 AM   #17
CMWoody
Banned

Oddometer: 5,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Just an FYI, at both VIR and Summit Point last year both Michelin and Dunlop tire sales were using the Nomar tire machine and balancer. Both manual types. Powered spin balancers are complete overkill for even racing bikes according to them.

I know those guys. Truth be told, they go the route they do simply because they don't want to carry around a compressor and fool with a generator. Getting it close is entirely possible with hand spinning though no where near as perfect as a machine that rotates at high speed. That said, race tires only last a few races and usually balance themselves within a few laps anyway so its not so important. Slow wearing street rubber pounding out miles on the slab is entirely different. Only my opinion but its nice to have perfect balance at 100 I dynamically balance all my street rubber..and as its been said already, who cares about knobs.
CMWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:28 PM   #18
djg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
suggestion

If you use stick on lead wheel weights, seal the edges with rtv, the double sided foam tape on these weights can deteriorate if moisture gets to it. The guys doing race tires put color matching duct tape over their weights.
djg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:59 PM   #19
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooliganrick
What kind of weights do you guys use, and where can they be purchased. I've tried every auto store in my area for the strips, but no luck
rick
Motion Pro sells packages of weights. I purchased them online, but I forgot where I bought them. (American Tire when I bought my D606's?). Put duct tape or RTV them down.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:45 PM   #20
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg
If you use stick on lead wheel weights, seal the edges with rtv...

Noah only had a 6 tubes of RTV (read it, true), but he made them work. The Ark didn't sink.....
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:07 PM   #21
space OP
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,590
Hmm ... sounds like another chemical for the toolbox. Seeing that I'll probably be mounting my new tires this weekend. I presume you can get RTV silicone at Autozone and the like?

And as far as balancers go, I decided to bite the bullet and got a Marc Parnes universal model. (I just got an unexpected $500 bonus from work! What am I gonna do with it, put it all in savings?? ) Anyhow, the balancer arrived in the mail today. Looks like a very nice piece of machining.
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:28 PM   #22
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by space
....you can get RTV silicone at Autozone and the like?
Most, if not all, of the trees in North America that produce RTV are now protected. Don't buy it on the street, as this promotes domestic black market trade.

Most national auto parts, hardware stores and home building chains carry RTV that's legally obtained. .

It's the equivalent of liquid duct tape. I like the smell of RTV.....
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:28 PM   #23
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,782
In my experience, the stock wheel weights from nearly anywhere stay fine, even in bad weather, as long as you put the on horizontal surfaces. I even use basic two sided tape to reuse wheel weights, and have not lost any, or any on friend's tires I have changed.

The Marc Parnes unit sure is nice looking isn't it?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:23 PM   #24
space OP
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,590
Liquid duct tape. I like the sound of that.

Thanks.
space is offline   Reply With Quote