User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
toole OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
KLR650 Tire Pressure

My owners manual says 21 psi front tire, 28 psi rear tire. Are these good numbers for general rode riding or have others found a better pressure to control the dreaded "wobble".

This bike still has 2005 stock tires
toole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
Gadjet
Gadget Freak

Oddometer: 115
I ran about 26-28 psi in the front and 28-30 psi in the rear with my stock tires. seemed to handle well enough (well enough that I managed to scrape the pegs on occasion without dumping the bike)
Through the eyeglass in reverse

Rush, Territories

IBA#20953
My Pics
Gadjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
VegasKLRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,859
Higher for street

I run 28psi front and 30psi rear for the street. I air down to 15 front and 20 rear for the dirt. I tried the factory recommendations and tire wear was horrible. I think the factory numbers are a dirt and street compromise.
I carry a portable air compressor in my tailbag when I go offroad.

WWJWD?

What Would John Wayne Do?

Southwest Riders visit www.my2wheels.com.
VegasKLRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:16 PM   #4
Paper
Multibike disorder..

Oddometer: 3,112
Don't get me wrong, I love my KLR, but the factory suggested pressures are a compromise, just like the bike is..

Road riding, I run the same pressure that I would if I were riding a street bike. 32Front 34Rear.

When I get off road I air them down to around 18psi.

I've found better wear at high pressure for road riding, and better grip off road when aired down.. Then I just stop in at the next gas station to bring them back up when riding road again.
Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:24 PM   #5
Fitty
Shopping cart rider

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper
Road riding, I run the same pressure that I would if I were riding a street bike. 32Front 34Rear.

Ditto
Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:27 PM   #6
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper
Don't get me wrong, I love my KLR, but the factory suggested pressures are a compromise, just like the bike is..

I've found better wear at high pressure for road riding, and better grip off road when aired down.. Then I just stop in at the next gas station to bring them back up when riding road again.
Yup.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:28 PM   #7
klm4755
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
I run 30 psi for both tires, mainly street. Great to have 12v air compressor with hook-up.

You can make yourself a trail electrical kit containing:
1. air compressor, jumper cables, GPS attach and such, see example here:
http://klrworld.com/forums/index.php/topic,2077.0.html

strip all the useless housing, fans, and gages. Throw away all this stuff

compressor after current test

like so. This compressor will fill the front tire in 55 sec from flat to 24 psi! Rear tire will take 2 min exactly to fill from flat to 24 psi. The compressor draws less power than the KLR headlight.

attach that 10AWG here. A direct connect to the battery (fused at 25 amps).

all adapters
Keithm
klm4755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:51 PM   #8
Subcanis
Unskilled Aerofixer

Oddometer: 1,098
Thats a hell of a setup.

I just got back from an 800 mile trip. 20 front and rear offroad, 30 front and rear onroad. Stock front, K270 rear. YMMV
Old 05-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
supermancam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Great modification you've done. I like the direct connect on the battery cover, leaves it tidy with no wires hanging around.

I connected a 12v power outlet to the "accessory" wires behind the front faring of my 03 KLR650 and learned quickly that rain and vibration aren't it's friend. Ordered twist lock with waterproof o ringed connections already so should be ok for the gps, phone, compressor etc.

Had I seen your post before I would have done it that way with a wire coming up to the handlebar from the outlet on battery cover.
supermancam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,132
wobble..... one big source is insufficient fork oil. my new brand new 05 wobbled like hell at hiway speed. I did a bunch of stuff, like take off the guards & windshield etc. then somebody said check the forks... the manual says 190mm (remove spring, collapse fork, fill until 190mm from the top). I was 50-60cc low each leg. fixed that & much better... so then I started adding until it was really good. then.... somebody says bring oil up to the original setting which was 170. so I check... I'm at 165mm. since then I have done dozens at tech days... none had even the 190 measure unless done by the owner. 170mm & maybe 10 psi air on top. stick with 10 weight oil (atf)

get Ricor valves when you can afford it.... total different front end with that upgrade.

the stock tires are very mediocre... probably the least favorite of all the tires I have tried on my klr.... the list... TKC, 606, GP1, AT90 Scorpion, MT21, Bridgestone 40s, Gripsters, Tourance.

I also run 18psi in the dirt but if you have trouble remembering things like do...... 30psi on the pave and 20 in the dirt
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote