Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2007, 12:04 AM   #31
Gustavo OP
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit
Who's in charge of the chronology of this thread. Fire him
Even though I am not incharge of anything, I'll try to use my influencing skills to slow down that Remarksman down a bit.

We'll give you a chance to catch up. You have until tomorrow at 6AM... Get to work on those pictures and report

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 12:07 AM   #32
Gustavo OP
Motociclista Errante

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeStromminInGA
What kind of bags do you have on the side of the Katoom ?
Those are the stock 950 bags, Hepco-Becker Gobi.

Gustavo
Old 03-27-2007, 12:15 AM   #33
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,539
A disturbing trend developed during the trip .... the tendancy whilst riding an easy road to jump up onto the pegs the moment a camera appeared. The genesis is displayed here on the road upto Cueva de la Olla

Couple more pics of the pottery store in Mata Ortiz. The style reminds me of what can be found around Santa Fe.

Brian and Gustavo .... now, were these the ones you did or didn't take home for your wives?

The following day on the way to Basaseachi I didn't take many pics. I did snap this one of Mex 16 (good road but better was to come). It's one of the few roads that cuts E-W across the Sierras and in the later portions of the day the pavement was pretty cut up. It was also somewhat interesting to come around a bend at 70+ to find a gas tanker plodding along at maybe 15mph.

That night at Rancho San Lorenzo maybe I was getting bored or more likely Brian had already begun to snore so after prying Gustavo's beloved mini tripod from his death-grip I went outside. There was virtually no light pollution and it was a clear sky so the stars were fabulous. Of course I messed it up by putting the orange thing in the way:

crazybrit screwed with this post 03-28-2007 at 03:06 PM
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:05 AM   #34
Gustavo OP
Motociclista Errante

Basaseachic

The main purpose of staying at Rancho San Lorenzo was to allow us to hike over to the Basaseachic waterfall without having to schlep all the riding gear and/or leaving it (and bikes + luggage) in the parking lot unattended for a couple of hours. Not that I have ever had any problems while traveling in Mexico, but tempting those who have a hard time resisting is not wise...

At about 6 AM we got a wake up call from the base jumpers' chopper (note to Tony - You see, you slept past 6AM at least once, and it wasn't me that woke you up ). Our fire had died down by that time, but it got a nice boost from the wind the helicopter created. Unfortunately, that wind was blowing backwards through our cabin's chimney, and it resulted in a nice layer of ash all over the place...

We woke up to a beautiful clear morning:

It was a bit chilly, Brian used his free time to practice his Spanish:

And then his ADVRiderish:

Helicopter coming back to pick the second group of jumpers:

After some breakfast at the ranch (which was pretty good, BTW ), we hiked to Basaseachic.

As we were getting close to the overlook, we could hear the helicopter in the canyon:

Brian and Tony on the hike to La Ventana:

Basaseachic is the tallest waterfall in Mexico, about 246 meters drop:

A different view of the canyon:

The view of teh fall from the rim:

Gustavo
Old 03-27-2007, 10:55 AM   #35
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,103
Nice pics!

Old 03-27-2007, 11:06 AM   #36
Inertia
Shortie

Oddometer: 5
Looks like a fun vacation. Can't wait to see how it ends.
Inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:07 AM   #37
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remarksman
running out of gas.
You forgot to mention that we made it about 200 miles south on I-5 before noticing that the gas guage was reading very low. Had a little stutter on the hill before the Grant's Pass exit, so we coasted down the hill in neutral. Fortunately the gas station was just beyond the off ramp. After waiting at the stop light, we lurched across the road into the station.
I know that gas station! I've coasted into that one or the one to the immediate right of the off-ramp more often than I should admit... once out of gas, twice w/o a clutch.

At least *I* was on a bike those times.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:21 PM   #38
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward
I know that gas station! I've coasted into that one or the one to the immediate right of the off-ramp more often than I should admit... once out of gas, twice w/o a clutch.

At least *I* was on a bike those times.
Funny you mention that. We ran out of gas during this trip right there- tried coasting down the hill, but had to beg/borrow gas from some backwoods folks to get us the final few miles.

Haven't run out here in mexico. Yet.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:26 PM   #39
tedder
irregular

Oh, and we ran into these clowns on a mountain road. Here's the pic:

Kinda funny because the blue DL650 used to be Tamara's (my wife).

That picture was taken right here.

-ted
Old 03-27-2007, 01:46 PM   #40
Gustavo OP
Motociclista Errante

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder
Oh, and we ran into these clowns on a mountain road. Here's the pic:

Man, now you did it. You are going to get me in trouble with Tony over the lack of chronology in the thread and he's going to want my head for it. Damn.

It was a nice surprise to see you guys, given that you bailed on us in Creel, I wasn't expecting to meet you until you got back to the NWet.

And try to keep stuff in order in the future, will you?

Gustavo

Gustavo screwed with this post 03-27-2007 at 04:21 PM
Old 03-27-2007, 05:10 PM   #41
jearls
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Keep it coming, guys. I don't care if it's in chronological order or not.

You're making me want to finally get out and go for a ride.

Great pictures.
jearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:13 PM   #42
Gustavo OP
Motociclista Errante

Basaseachic to Creel

Alright, lets get the show back on the road.

We got back from the hike to the waterfall, packed and left Rancho San Lorenzo around 11 AM. There was plenty of time, so we decided to go check some side roads on the stretch between Basaseachic and San Juanito.

This little river runs parallel to the road to San Juanito:

We stopped to take this picture at the intersection with the road to Cajurichic:

As we were getting ready to leave I spot an R12GS coming from Basaseachic. He sees Tony first and seem to be slowing to say hi. I immediately figured out it was Noel coming from spending the night in Yecora. I wave Takes him a while to realize it's us. I had exchanged e-mails with him before the trip, asked him to join us in NCG or Basaseachic since he was riding to Creel from Tijuana, but he didn't think he could leave early enough to meet us in either. We couldn't have met like this even if we had planned it...

We continued together (now 4 of us) to Cajurichic, where we stop to catch up:

Kids love bikes, and those in Cajurichic were no different. They very quickly started showing up from the school across the street:

Brian had some stickers handy, and he was instantly the most popular guy in town:

We continued on towards Aguatechi.

Noel:

These kids wanted to spend more time looking at the bike. They were not happy to be dragged away:

Brian increasing my dust intake for the day...

Tony does his part too:

Road in Mexico have all sort of hazards. You could be coming around a blind corner and find two trucks side-by-side like this:

It turned out that the truck on the right lost his air brakes, and was being recharged by the one on the left so he could proceed down the hill. Understandable, but not easy to negotiate when they are blocking the road.

Another road hazard:

Noel on the road to San Juanito:

Lots of different things to look at on the road:

Tony climbing out of the valley:

Brian:

Tony:

Noel:

There was one section that had this really fine, powdery, sand. There was a clear line through it that seemed easier/shallower, but with my luck, there was a Ford Explorer coming the other way and he insisted on using it. I wasn't going to argue.

Took a break down the road and saw the rest of the gang go by.

Tony:

These guys were not part of our group:

Brian:

A bit further down the road to San Juanito we started running into road construction:

This is the face of progress in Chihuahua:

He tells me that they plan to have the whole thing (San Juanito to Basaseachic) paved by next year. %$#@!&^& progress! Next thing you know they'll be paving the road to Batopilas and you'll be getting run over by blue hairs in RVs down there...

Anyway, as I was waiting, Tony shows up:

I tried to tell him to stop next to me, but he doesn't understand what I want and continues an extra 100 meter, only to be almost run over by the dump truck that is backing up to be loaded again (mirrors? They don't use mirrors ).

We continued on after the dump truck started to move again. We got to this section were a grader was working. He had left a nice, soft and wet graded muddy lane for traffic to go on. It would have been OK if had not decided he needed to get across the road as we were about to pass him. Getting the bikes to stop before getting run over without dropping it in the soft mud was not trivial...

We finally made it to San Juanito and I decided my bike could really use some cleaning. There was a car wash nearby, so I suggested we go use it. That got me laughed at by the trailer queen riders, who then proceeded to go scrub their bikes like the trailer queens they are...

Like a trailer queen:

Hostile environment:

Across the street there was one of my favorite Mexican institutions, the drive-through liquor store:

We made it to Creel just before dark and went out for some pizza, to vary the Mexican-only diet we had thus far:

Creel's plaza:

Gustavo

Gustavo screwed with this post 03-27-2007 at 05:29 PM
Old 03-27-2007, 06:38 PM   #43
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo
[in Cajurichic]
Brian had some stickers handy, and he was instantly the most popular guy in town:
I think I read this tip somewhere here on AdvRider... bring along some of those stickers from LP, Vortex, Bridgestone, Bel-Ray, or whatever that come along with many of the Fine Accessories (tm) you have probably purchased. These kids started out as curious but very shy. After handing out a few stickers, they were pretty excited.

Quote:

Another road hazard:

I'm glad you got that pic. I swear when I passed that horse that the expression on his face said "This is the last time I come and fetch you out of the cantina, you lazy bum..."

Quote:
We made it to Creel just before dark and went out for some pizza, to vary the Mexican-only diet we had thus far:
Yes, Gustavo got his camera out again when we were supposed to be sitting down and relaxing with some beverages and a nice pizza. Instead, it was "hold that smile for 20 seconds while I take another long-exposure picture"
Remarksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:15 PM   #44
tedder
irregular

okay, so you are in Creel. Can someone tell me the end of the story before you continue with the rest?

Old 03-27-2007, 07:25 PM   #45
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Cajurichic and road to Creel

It was really great to meet Noel on the road, and very near the beginning of our ride.
We all went to Cajurichic and spent some time in front of the cathedral there. I handed out some stickers, and also found out that Cajurichic has the tallest topes of any place we went. On the way into town, I hit my centerstand against each one of the 5 or so they had. And this is with the pre-load on the stock shock set all the way up. Sheesh! I think some improved suspension has to be on the shopping list in the future.

As we left Cajurichic, the road climbed a hill, and I stopped for this pic of the town and the valley it's in. You probably can't quite make it out in the picture below, but if you look at the full-res version, it's pretty clear.

Looking ahead on the road from that stop:

We continued past the trucks blocking the road while charging their air brakes, and finally turned around after stopping to look at this view:

It was pretty warm (especially for us north-westerners), so we stopped in front of the cathedral again to re-hydrate. A bunch of kids turned up looking for more stickers -- warning to anyone who rides to Cajurichic, maybe you'd better bring a few!
On Mexico 23 (soon to be paved), right before we ran into Noel, I'd seen this cool lake with a house or church and a big white statue on the hill.

So while the others headed south-east, I went back north a mile or two to snap this picture. Unfortunately the statue didn't come out that well, but it is still an interesting scene for the remote location.
Since the guys had a head start, I had a little fun making some time on the road. For several miles it seemed that the road had been fairly recently graded, but had developed pot-holes here and there. I managed to do some mild rear-wheel steering, luggage and all -- whoo hoo!

After a while, the road got rougher, then I had my first experience with real silt. It was a bit of a surprise, since an SUV had just passed through it going the other direction, so I couldn't really see what I had gotten myself into. After that, when cars raised serious dust clouds, I knew to watch for silt.
Anyway, the silt wasn't too bad. Certainly not as bad as some pics I've seen here. The wierdest part was that on the DL, the silt "wake" from the front wheel hits the toes of my boots.
The rough parts of the road made us all want to stop and take pictures (to take a break ). Here's Noel taking a picture of Tony (who I couldn't see).

At vantage points, it started looking like it might be a long day on this road, as it was just ridges and canyons, on and on.

Trust me, I have a lot more pics. The scenery was pretty amazing, but looking at pictures just isn't the same. If you want to see it all, all the pics are in my WebShots Mexico 2007 Album.

One more "we came over that road" pic:

And the obligatory "burros in the road" shot:

Gustavo showed some pics of the construction crews. After we got through several construction areas, (some of them a little tricky on the bike) we got to ride several miles on wide, smooth, ready-to-be-paved roads. Zoom!
Unlike the construction crews you typically drive by in the US, these guys were working hard pretty much any time you saw them. In fact, if you don't stay out of the way, they might run you over. If US construction crews worked like that, maybe the roads around my house wouldn't be in such poor condition.
We returned to pavement in San Juanito, where we gassed up and visited the car wash.
From there it was a short and easy ride to Creel, where we checked into a nice and reasonable hotel and had some pizza for dinner.
Remarksman is offline   Reply With Quote