Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2007, 01:54 PM   #16
Sam Buca OP
a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer: 2,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTOOMER
does anyone know the details of the accident...like how it happenned?

I could not find any details. Expect the normal... Too fast for the conditions and experience levels, expecially considering the types of cars. Could well be that the bikes were innocent bystanders (by-riders?).

That bend at the top of the lookout is very deceptive and it is easy to get your self into trouble there.

Sam Buca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:17 AM   #17
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,981
My buddy e-mailed me some pics of the scene. Looks to me like the cars were trying to pass one another and collided, skidding wide and hitting the bikes head on I really fucking hate people that drive like assholes.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:13 PM   #18
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,473
Too bad it never really rains here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta
The fuuny thing is, I LOVE going to the Rock Store in the rain. Its all just BMW guys standing around with coffee cups. Gotta love it.
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:19 PM   #19
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Wow, this looks pretty bad. We USED to make little runs there a long time ago, but never during the day. Hope the riders are OK and guilty drivers get what they deserve.

>

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike
My buddy e-mailed me some pics of the scene. Looks to me like the cars were trying to pass one another and collided, skidding wide and hitting the bikes head on I really fucking hate people that drive like assholes.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:00 PM   #20
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer: 4,895
http://www.malibutimes.com/articles/...newsbriefs.txt

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Drivers in Mulholland crash charged for alleged 'speed contest'

Felony charges have been made against the drivers of a Ferrari and Mustang who took part March 25 in an alleged road race on Mulholland Drive that injured two motorcyclists. A new section of the state Vehicle Code just came into law this year, calling for felony charges if a person causes severe injury to another because of participation in a speed contest. Itamar Lieberman, 60, of Beverly Hills and Manuel Menchaca, 28, of Agoura Hills, if convicted, could face nearly nine months in prison and/or a fine of $2,000.

According to California Highway Patrol officials, Lieberman was driving the Ferrari and Menchaca was traveling in the Mustang as they raced eastbound on Mulholland Highway east of Kanan Dume Road at a high rate of speed. Lieberman was in the lead, according to CHP, when he lost control of the car and crossed the double yellow line, striking a motorcyclist traveling in the opposite direction head-on. The rider was ejected from the motorcycle and another motorcyclist made a hard brake, and was also ejected from the motorcycle. Menchaca's Mustang, unable to stop quickly enough because of the high speed, crashed into the Ferrari.

The motorcyclists, 46-year-old David Espinoa and 38-year-old Allen Espinoa, both Long Beach residents, were treated for serious, but not life threatening injuries.

----------------------

Looks like they were westbound to me.

Added: http://www.malibusurfsidenews.com/current_issue.pdf (pages 9 and 16)

xlcr screwed with this post 04-04-2007 at 03:12 PM
xlcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:50 PM   #21
ShawnDoc
A wee baby

Oddometer: 193
That's strange. I've only been the the Rock Store a handful of times, only on days with good weather, and only for a late lunch (2pm or so) and have never encountered many others on the road. I have managed to meet Jay Leno there. I just must be really lucky.
ShawnDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:41 AM   #22
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,774
Man, that's an ugly accident scene.

You guys have some of the most amazing riding going, but I've gotta tell you, as a Canadian, I was stunned by what I saw on that section of Mulholland Dr. I mean, it was interesting, but I was astounded by what you guys get away with. People were seated at the over look, some in the beds of their pickups with coolers etc. watching "the racing" coming up the hill from the Rock Store. I'd never seen anything like that on a public road before.

Leos keep a much tighter reign on things here in the Dominion of.

And I thought Latigo Canyon was more fun.

Stafe safe you lucky bass-turds!
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #23
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

I heard that one of the riders recently died of his injuries, at least that was the word last Sunday at the store.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:40 PM   #24
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer: 33,321
Wow, that's wild. We just got back Wednesday from a family trip to LA/Anaheim. We did the drive up PCH onto Kamen Dume and then onto Mulholland Hwy. The whole time I'm wishing I had my bike rather than the rented Accord.

I did the drive on Easter Sunday, and encountered a couple of riders, most of the people I saw were on bicycles. All were well behaved, though one bike rider wouldn't yield for almost a mile. There were a few vehicles stacked up behind him by this time.

Quis custodiet ipros custodes?
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:56 PM   #25
planeoldguy
Old and Slow

Oddometer: 60
I was up there in the late '80s when a Testarossa was passing an XL-250, noticed a Harley coming down the hill, locked it up, lost control, Testarossa getting ceterpunched by the XL-250, Ferrari driver got pummeled by more than a few people (there was about 400 riders there to see it), in the end the XL-250 rider got a ride to the hospital in the Ferrari, nobody had cellphones back then.
planeoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:26 PM   #26
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,368
I was in Mulholland drive. Did two passes, but it must have been the wrong part because it was absolutely empty. I rode it on a Sunday too, and it was empty.

There was a big empty section that was closed off too and paved in gravel.

I wanted to find that cafe but could not find it.

It seems everyone has a road like this in their area. A while back we had 211, and every weekend there were accidents there. Now it's empty. Just me riding it daily.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:51 PM   #27
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike
I heard that one of the riders recently died of his injuries, at least that was the word last Sunday at the store.
Are you sure they weren't talking about this?

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/11523399/detail.html

MALIBU, Calif. -- A passenger on a motorcycle that was involved in a collision was thrown down a hill and killed Wednesday night, according to the California Highway Patrol. The wreck happened at about 6:15 p.m. in the 1900 block of Latigo Canyon Road, CHP Officer Vince Ramirez said. The motorcycle driver was found walking around at the scene when CHP officers arrived about an hour later, Ramirez said. The driver was taken to a hospital for treatment.The coroner was called to retrieve the body of the passenger.

Photog screwed with this post 04-14-2007 at 09:36 AM Reason: removed ad
xlcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:28 AM   #28
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

You are confusing two different Mulhollands. The one you rode is Drive, you need to go to Hwy. Remember that gravel road you saw? Mulholland Hwy starts at the other end of it.

D.

saw...
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
I was in Mulholland drive. Did two passes, but it must have been the wrong part because it was absolutely empty. I rode it on a Sunday too, and it was empty.

It seems everyone has a road like this in their area. A while back we had 211, and every weekend there were accidents there. Now it's empty. Just me riding it daily.

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Old 04-16-2007, 04:31 PM   #29
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcr
Are you sure they weren't talking about this?

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/11523399/detail.html

MALIBU, Calif. -- A passenger on a motorcycle that was involved in a collision was thrown down a hill and killed Wednesday night, according to the California Highway Patrol. The wreck happened at about 6:15 p.m. in the 1900 block of Latigo Canyon Road, CHP Officer Vince Ramirez said. The motorcycle driver was found walking around at the scene when CHP officers arrived about an hour later, Ramirez said. The driver was taken to a hospital for treatment.The coroner was called to retrieve the body of the passenger.
Nope, I know about that one too.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:37 PM   #30
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch

Dirt Mullholand. Turns to dirt just east of Topanga Canyon Blvd and back to pavement at about Havenhurst. The playground of my wasted youth They closed it off sometime in the 90's when it became part of the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy. I have ridden and explored so many fireroads and trails up there, it was a fantastic place to grow up. Amazingly, I never got into any real trouble with the cops even though it was way illegal to ride there. Any run ins I had with them they just let me go or ignored me all together