User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2007, 11:48 PM   #16
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,963
Gaspipe,
I sure as hell am not an electrical engineer and maybe you are so You can explain how it works.
My wiring diagram for the '02 Adventure shows a capacitor just prior to the Kokusan ignition.
I was under the impression that it contained a charge that would light the ignition with a dead battery assuming it was charged up.
Tell me I am crazy.
Bill.

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:07 AM   #17
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
The SEM system only generated about 130 watts of energy anyway. IMHO, it has a superior advance curve for the LC4, but that's about it.
make sense
Quote:

The smart thing to do is wire a permanent jumper cable off the battery posts so any 12v power source can energize the ignition and you could kick it.
I allready did that, but still need to find the sourse to piggybag

actually Florencenbrown introduce me to this incredible little nickel metal batteries so I'm making a proper carrior to keep on the bike just in case, they are freaking tinny and light (like a c type battery but lighter) but you require to use four of them to achive the 13,4volts (3.3 volts each or something..
Quote:

It's a bad system for an adventure bike, IMHO, but then again, you can get a battery for less than $40 new. Get a new one every 2 or 3 years.
Were...!?!?

All the ones I see are about $60 and then the oddisey 310 (since they are incredible) i want is about $125 including shipping.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:26 AM   #18
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,115
So I'm looking at the wiring diagram for the '02, and first thing I see is that if the battery is weak enough that there is no voltage on the +12V line, it will shunt all the power away from the ignition module as they are on the same set of stator coils.

One question. There is a module called "Electronic Power Control" (#35) that connects to the ignition module on the same line as the ignition coil. Anyone know what that is?
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:48 AM   #19
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
So I'm looking at the wiring diagram for the '02, and first thing I see is that if the battery is weak enough that there is no voltage on the +12V line, it will shunt all the power away from the ignition module as they are on the same set of stator coils.

One question. There is a module called "Electronic Power Control" (#35) that connects to the ignition module on the same line as the ignition coil. Anyone know what that is?
Its an emisions control thing we get in Aust. and europe as well AFAIK. all it does is let air into the champer above the carb diaphram in 2 and 3rd gear "under certain throtle contitions". Its to help it get through drive by noise tests or some such shite.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:18 AM   #20
KTMatt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
Its no good for the battery if you let it run flat all the time or let it sit without being used.
I use one of these on my VOR 530 that sits in the shed and dosent get riden enough. It keeps the battery charger all the time.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2007, 05:21 AM   #21
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,963
Anybody strong enough in electricity to venture a guess on the capacitor?
The question wasn't just for gaspipe.
Bill.

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:54 AM   #22
njgearhead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill
Anybody strong enough in electricity to venture a guess on the capacitor?
The question wasn't just for gaspipe.
Bill.
I have a degree in computer engineering, if you PM the schematic I'd be glad to give you my input.

Confucius
njgearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:09 PM   #23
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,352
The LC4 uses the same size battery as a Honda CB600. These are the ones I usually get, and I put in a new one before every long trip on the LC4.

Cheap BATTERY

Also, I'm not an electrical engineer, but IMHO, the capacitor is there to smooth out the power, not provide power for the ignition. It's too small of a capacitor. The point is, I doubt anyone can kick over the bike fast enough for the stator to provide enough energy to light off the ignition.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:41 PM   #24
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
actually Florencenbrown introduce me to this incredible little nickel metal batteries so I'm making a proper carrior to keep on the bike just in case, they are freaking tinny and light (like a c type battery but lighter) but you require to use four of them to achive the 13,4volts (3.3 volts each or something..
Interesting! I just wonder if one 9V D-type battery would be enough?

A capasitor is not the solution, because it discharges itself over time. Especially if you have 'slow' short-circuit in the system as I had when the battery went flat.
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:31 PM   #25
Flatulator
Banned

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by njgearhead
i'd be pissed if I was stuck in the middle of the woods and battery crapped out and the kick starter couldn do the job
You got that right

I would never buy one now that I know that - just for that reason.

Any bike with any dirt pretensions had better start and run with a DEAD battery.

kick and go
Flatulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:55 PM   #26
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Not defending KTM at all since some of KTM's philosophies and mine are at odds, but if the battery crapped out in the woods - *you* also have some 'splaining to do. All in all, the e-start LC4's are dual sport bikes.

The funny thing is the KLR and the Husky TE610 *will* bump start easily enough with a dead battery, and have no kick starter at all. I've never tried to bump start an e-start LC4 with a dead battery, but kicking it is not possible. Will the XR650L and the DR650 bump start - neither have a kicker?

And I can kick start anything....just not an LC4 with a dead battery.

Hair of the dog....
Old 03-28-2007, 08:29 PM   #27
njgearhead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Not defending KTM at all since some of KTM's philosophies and mine are at odds, but if the battery crapped out in the woods - *you* also have some 'splaining to do. All in all, the e-start LC4's are dual sport bikes.

The funny thing is the KLR and the Husky TE610 *will* bump start easily enough with a dead battery, and have no kick starter at all. I've never tried to bump start an e-start LC4 with a dead battery, but kicking it is not possible. Will the XR650L and the DR650 bump start - neither have a kicker?

IMHO the kickstarter is useless if it cannot start the bike with a dead battery. They might as well take out the mechanism completely and save a few lbs. I own a DR650 and in my experience its not that easy to bump start on loose traction, perhaps its my technique but nevertheless it WILL definitly bump start on a dead battery.

That being said, if the kicker wont start the bike, neither will bump starting which tells me that the DR, KLR, and 99% of other dirt bikes out there are more suitable for emergency startups then the KTM with the kickstarter. What a scam. If I had this model KTM i'd want my money back.

Confucius
njgearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:41 PM   #28
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by njgearhead
IMHO the kickstarter is useless if it cannot start the bike with a dead battery.
It's hardly useless. If an otherwise working battery is run down to where it won't start the bike the kicksarter works just fine. I've done this on many occasions.
The bike apparently won't start when the battery is completely fried- but I've never seen the problem.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:55 PM   #29
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,964
Quote:

I have bump started my 2000 LC4, when I left the key on. So it is possible.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:02 PM   #30
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer
I have bump started my 2000 LC4, when I left the key on. So it is possible.
Well, there ya have it. It will bump on a dead battery.

Hair of the dog....