ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2007, 09:10 PM   #46
SFmax

Oddometer: n/a
Whose got a write up on this switch mod?

I've got an 03 that I've run into this exact situation a couple of times. No way to stop the headlights from sucking juice from the system when you kick it over so there isn't enough for the spark. I found this all out the hard way by running into this problem a few times.

There is a place for a switch on the right side handlebar switch cluster on the US models but its just a cover. I know someone must have made some kind of mod for this.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:38 PM   #47
lvdukerider
Las Vegas Nevada

Oddometer: 523
I noticed when working on the ignition lock switch on my 00 Duke II that the electronic portion of the ignition switch once seperated from the mechanical lock portion, via two small phillips screws, still has the detent position for start/run with lights off, just like the european model. Its just blanked off on the lock itself. I tried to get the euro version lock cylinder but my dealer said its not avalible through KTM N/A. Proably easier to just wire in a toggle switch to kill the lights like I have done to some of my previous bikes.
lvdukerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:14 PM   #48
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,765
A simple way to rig the headlight for an on/off function is to find the ground wire for the low beam and put a simple toggle switch(cheap) on the dash to break the ground path wire. Now you can switch the low beam headlight off for day running but the parking bulb and tail light will still burn. The parking light is dim as it is a 2 watt bulb.

When I pulled my parking bulb out there was a 10 watt bulb in there. Not sure if it came that way from the factory or the PO was in there and changed it. Anyway I switched back to a 2 watt bulb. It is nice to have the parking light without the headlight for setting up camp after dark or if you have to leave the bike on the road. When I run my electric vest and heated grips, I switch to low beam and hit the ground switch. This saves 55 watts for the other accessories.

One problem with this system you still have a 20 watt tail light burning. It could be killed the same way with a switch in the ground but I never bothered. Maybe I gotta look at that but in a bad situation it is easy enough to pull the bulb.

Currently I am installing one of these voltage monitors. When i get it hooked up I will post a picture.

I chose item 1050 not item 1053. I works just like the dual light model but a single LED.

http://www.signaldynamics.com/products/Modules/HUVM.asp

bill.

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 04-03-2007 at 10:35 PM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:59 PM   #49
BajaDave
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvdukerider
I noticed when working on the ignition lock switch on my 00 Duke II that the electronic portion of the ignition switch once seperated from the mechanical lock portion, via two small phillips screws, still has the detent position for start/run with lights off, just like the european model. Its just blanked off on the lock itself. I tried to get the euro version lock cylinder but my dealer said its not avalible through KTM N/A. Proably easier to just wire in a toggle switch to kill the lights like I have done to some of my previous bikes.
The european version of the ignition lock (part #584.11.066.000) allows for ignition without the headlight on. That part includes both halves of the ignition switch... the mechanical lock and the electrical switch below it.

I ran into the problem with the KTM policy of not shipping to KTM North America certain parts designed only for other countries when I wanted to order the dual ignition curve CDI box for low octane fuel for my 2001 Adventure, as I needed it for the bad fuel in Mexico. NO, NO, NO was the answer-- KTM North America can not get it from Austria. So I called across the pond to a KTM dealer, told him my situation, and they happily shipped one to me. I'm glad I went to the trouble, because I needed it the first time I took it down there. Flip the switch, and Presto! No more ping when ya wail on it on a hot day in the mountains or deserts of Baja.

Speaking of which: Just last week while riding down there, I was running at night with AUX lights and grip heaters going, at RPMs low enough to discharge the battery. I shut it down where I thought there was a nice downhill section I could bump start it on, just in case. Well, when I hit the button, it cranked twice and quit. That's where I learned, after a long walk to discover that the downhill didn't exist, followed by much kicking and then contemplation, that unplugging the headlight allowed the engine to fire up with what little power was generated by kicking it. I was anxiously reading through this post to get to the end and chime in with the good news, when I got to Luke's post and realized I'd been scooped! Good onya Luke!

So how's about we get one of our compadres from across the pond to help us out with a group order??

GripTwister Dual Sport Tours
BajaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:27 PM   #50
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
I'll go in on a group order, and I also want to hear more about your dual curve CDI!
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:38 PM   #51
BajaDave
Crazy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags
I'll go in on a group order, and I also want to hear more about your dual curve CDI!
They have two leads coming off of the CDI that are connected to enable an ignition curve that allows you to run very low octane fuel without damage (but fuel mileage is reduced). The 2003 and up 640 Adventures have them factory installed now. Prior to that, you had to order one optionally from KTM, part # 584.39.031.300.

I wired mine to a switch on the instrument panel. Now when I'm running Magna (green) or worse, I can just flip the switch.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:51 AM   #52
BlitzBike
LC4 Pilot

Oddometer: 800
+1 on the group order
Old 04-03-2007, 03:04 PM   #53
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 892
Old Switch

Colin,

This is the old style LC4 switch. I have a picture of it on my '07 525 EXC at:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...201026&page=10

along with some other stuff I did to the 525. It is what is shown in your parts blowup. The Euros even use this switch on the 2-stroke EXCs that run around on the streets, or at least that is what I saw on them.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:48 PM   #54
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
The Euros even use this switch on the 2-stroke EXCs that run around on the streets, or at least that is what I saw on them.
Yep, that's what my 200 uses. AFAIK it has been used on all the EXCs for ages, and still is.

Ya gotta remember that pretty much all enduro/cross-country bikes are road legal in this part of the world, following the Euro system, even if most owners never register the bike and chuck all the road gear in the bin. 'Plating' a dirt bike, as you chaps over in Britain's Most Successful Colony call it, is only necessary for the bigger kids bikes (for short-legged adults) or motocross bikes. Enduro bikes come like that out of the box.

EXC headlight switch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:22 PM   #55
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 892
Success

Our success is in building intractable, pernicious pecksniff bureaucracies that love to regulate us for what is good for us. This allows them to build even more powerful organizations (more people and computers) to regulate us even more tightly. It is as if you took the worst of the English and German administrative practices and rolled them into one ugly system. We are so lucky.

BTW, the CEV switch is ultra durable. It has been used on race bikes for years and gives almost zero trouble. You can, I discovered, tear one up with a well placed patella cup shot on a rocker switch.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:44 PM   #56
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
... My 640 AdVenture...
EH?

Odyssey PC310? Call this fella:
http://www.kodiakinc.com/batteries.html
super nice, helpful, and pretty local - he used to sell the PC310 (he delivered one to my house after a service call ) and pretty damn cheap. maybe you could pick one up?

I agree with KTMatt, that lead-acid batteries HATE being run down - if they do they will weaken and die quickly.

Now, I have to say this:

Luke's an Idjit!

I think Magli is right - this is an Index thread.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:33 AM   #57
fasteddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
640 Adventure Euro light switch

The 640 Adventure Euro light switch part # is 60011074000, I've ordered it through KTM Canada, I'll keep you informed as to it's availability.

Ed...
fasteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:17 PM   #58
640rider
Hard to ride in Baghdad

Oddometer: 13
as i have just come across this thread i am now aware that my bike will not start with out the battery. i have a 2003 adventure. i have never let the battery go dead because it cuts the life of a battery in half when you let it go dead. i have had it on a battery tender since the day i bought it. great device for those of you who have't heard of it. it offers a pigtail plug that is always connected to the battery. you just plug it in when you are not riding. then tuck the plug away when riding. it keeps the battery at a full charge then turns on and off, on it's own, as needed.
all sounds about right though since a lot of electric start bikes require a full charge to run properly. had a brand new Ninja 900 one time. the battery went low and would not start. jumped it and got it going then it was running bad as the batt was still low. figured heck, i'll just ride it to charge it, bad idea. it spit and sputtered. as i tried to take off and seemed to require much more gas and clutch than it should have. then BAM it kicked in all at once and caused the bike to take off like a bullet. needless to say i did not end up going with it. i ended up on my back and the bike about 60 feet away sliding on its side. i'll never let another battery go bad again.
through all this, it is a little disopointing that the bike can not be kick started on a bad battery but, my assumtion is that the kicker will still prove handy if the starter crapps out.
640rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:30 AM   #59
BajaDave
Crazy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640rider
as i have just come across this thread i am now aware that my bike will not start with out the battery. i have a 2003 adventure.
Hey 640rider, I think you missed the good news contained within this thread, I know it's kind of buried, but that is that you CAN INDEED start your bike with a dead battery. However, you will need to disconnect the headlight to do so. After it's started, you can then hook the headlight back up. You can reach the plug/connector for the low beam under the fairing without removing it. A switch that allows to easily turn it off while the ignition is on is what we're working on now.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:02 AM   #60
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by magli
I completely agree with you. It is stupid, and annoying - and I have already been a victim of this stupidity.

However, at least in my case, the battery does not have to be fully charged in order to kick-start it. In fact, my battery is quite old, and it usually fails to start the bike - it is often too week to even get the motor rotating.... but I can still kick-start the bike. The only time I was unable to kick-start, the battery was so dead that it could not even make the neutral indicator glow when I was in neutral.
This happened to me with my 2003 only 2 weeks ago. (I wired my hand warmers to my battery instead of my ignition and left it on over night.) The dash would not light up -no power anywhere. I kicked it for 10 min, until I noticed I had also flicked the "run" switch to off. Feeling like an ass, I kicked it a couple more times and it started. (I know there was no more juice in the battery, the clock was reset to 12:00. )

So, either the 2003 model will start with a dead battery or a bunch of kicks with the Kill switch "off" will charge the ignition enough for a spark. What do you think?
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote