Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2008, 12:13 AM   #46
robertothemexican
let´s ride !!

Oddometer: 54
4 cienegas...

que pedo oscar,

de hecho yo iba a ir este fin de semana pasado, me recomendaron un lugar que se llama mezquites... que esta conmadre!!

este fin que sigue voy a zacatecas, pero habiendo una chance te aviso, para irnos en las motos... como ves?

saludos
robertothemexican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:39 AM   #47
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertothemexican
que pedo oscar,

de hecho yo iba a ir este fin de semana pasado, me recomendaron un lugar que se llama mezquites... que esta conmadre!!

este fin que sigue voy a zacatecas, pero habiendo una chance te aviso, para irnos en las motos... como ves?

saludos
Roberto,

Un placer! Acabo de viajar a Cuatrocienegas. Vea el informe adjuntado a la firma. También pasé por Monclova para conocer a los hermanos Zerrweck y a Chepo.

Me gustaría hacer un ride a Batopilas como lo hizó tricepilot, talvez en un futuro.

Atentamente,

Miguel

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:20 AM   #48
jsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
I won't spoil the guessing game on who the guy is. But that orange fench is right across from the plaza there in Batopilas. Unique design. Did they ever fix it so it is not so hard to open.
Fiddle player
Fry Cook
jsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #49
motolocopat
When in doubt gas it!

Oddometer: 519
Nice!

Nice report.
Who has gone down there lately?
Is it as safe as in 2007, or at least relatively so?

For some reason I'd rather take a bunch of Inmates opinions rather than the State Department......
www.moto-loco.com
motolocopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #50
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 634
Very good RR.....thanks much...

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride

Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #51
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolocopat View Post
Nice report.
Is it as safe as in 2007, or at least relatively so?

For some reason I'd rather take a bunch of Inmates opinions rather than the State Department......
It was fine last March.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #52
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolocopat View Post
Four of us rode down in January. No hay problemas.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #53
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Moto Discovery-Copper Canyon

I rode with MotoDiscovery to Copper Canyon on their first training ride with "Coach" Ramey Stroud in October of 2006. I had had my 2001 1150 GS for just over a year and this was to be my first adventure ride. My "oh shit's" as the bike tipped over when I came to a stop without planning where my left foot was going to go and finding the ground too far from the foot before the bike got to that magical point of no return that the top heavy GS has a way of finding as you step off and prepare to pick the f'er up again became well known. We were ascending out of the canyon and I had stopped to p near that white house you see in many photos... from the road about 1000' vertical feet above me I hear Mark calling out to me.... "My bike went over the cliff" I hopped on my newly upright steed and headed up the hill. Sure enough, there was a forlorn Mark standing in the middle of the rain slick clay road with a forlorn look pointing over the side at his beautiful red 1200 GS lodged against a large maguey of Century plant. That desert plant was the only thing that kept that bike from falling the distance to the road below, just downhill from where I stopped, I took off my helmet set it on my bike and it immediately went after Mark's bike... shit... now I have to crawl down there... I took a look at the bikes situation and wonder how the hell are we ever going to get that monster out of there. It was getting late in the day, the weather was threatening, the rest of the group, including Ramey and Mike Paull on their Urals and the rest of the riders joined us scratching our heads on the road. Along came or support vehicle driver, the legendary Juan Stanglmaier of Mexican Rally fame, and there was no way he was not going to get that bike out of there that night. He had a schedule, and a girlfriend, to keep. It was starting to get colder and dark so Juan asked me to ride back with Ramey or maybe he asked Ramey to ride back with me (wink) to the hotel. I think Mike Paull went with us as his leg would not be of much use in the recovery operation. We were sitting at the bar when we heard the group get back around 9PM, they had gotten the bike up and Mark rode it back. Amazing adventure. Some great and legendary companions. It does not get much better. I am so glad that Mark made it back in '07 and got to Batopilas, he really wanted to go there.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #54
michaelhansen
motowest

Oddometer: 4
Mystery Man

Rene Stroud - goes by "Coach"
michaelhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #55
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Ramey "Coach" Stroud
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #56
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,085
This is a great old thread.

Can anyone give some advice on routes, conditions, recommendations from batopilas to Las Mochis. Old guys, good off road, on GS's and KTM Adventure--motel it and not camp unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks!!
Old 01-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #57
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Route help needed!

Headed this way end of March. Still looking for a big bike friendly route to get us from Batopilas to the La Paz ferry from Topolongo, via El Fuerte without going back north. Helpful inmates have provided some great info. I have identified a route from Bato to Choix from the free Garmin map site. Wondering if anyone has better info, route specific recommendations, current conditions. Garmin track or route would be wonderful.

I have the Quimera and National Geographic maps. Nat Geo is more current and has a little more dirt road detail. But neither is enough to clearly identify a route.

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #58
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,987
I wouldn't do that on a big bike. A 650 is about as big as I'd want to go. Getting down to Bato from Creel isn't bad, but the going gets tougher beyond that. It has been done on GSes, but every account I read had most guys falling down and having to spend a night on the mountain.

Of course, I haven't been there in a few years, and the roads, sadly, keep getting better and better. Lately, though, I hear that heavy rains have washed out a lot, including parts of the new road from Bato to Urique.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:18 AM   #59
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
Headed this way end of March. Still looking for a big bike friendly route to get us from Batopilas
Posted from another recent source by a motorcyclist residing in Chihuahua City:

"There have been heavy rains in the canyons and some bridges are washed away.

The ones to get into Batopilas from the north are apparently OK, but the vado to cross the Batopilas river going to Urique is supposed to be gone as well as part or all of the just completed bridge just south of Urique. The only access to Urique is now the old way down the canyon wall from the west.

No info on Sinforosa canyon yet."
Old 01-06-2014, 06:46 AM   #60
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

South from Bato

Thanks. I had pretty much ruled out the route through Urique, even before hearing about wash outs. The route (s) I am looking at go south from Batopilas then west over the mountains to Choix or farther south. Any info on these??

Our bikes are GS's and KTM 990 Adventures. Old guys, good dirt riders but realistic about not wanting anything too challenging on the big bikes this far from home.