Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2014, 11:15 AM   #61
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,998
I have done the ride from Bato to Choix, and vice versa, on a DR650. It was ok. I don't think it would have been as much fun on a KLR650. I'd call myself an intermediate dirt rider. I have ridden it with A enduro riders who wished they were on something smaller than a KLR. Guys who have done it on a 650 often come back on a 250 or 400. It is not so much whether you can ride the bikes as whether you can manage them in the tight spots, like when the trucks are taking up the whole road except for a sliver. A long inseam helps.

You don't need camping gear because hotel rooms are $10-15 a night. Just a light bag and a space blanket in case you have to spend a night out. If you do ride the big bikes, leave the aluminum travel cases at home. They only encourage you to bring too much crap.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #62
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Hi George , Trice alerted me that you were looking for some route advice so here are some ideas.
If the road and bridges from Batopilas to Urique are washed out
it might be more sensible to retreat to Creel and from there head west.
In the spring of 2012 I did that route om my KLR and found most of it to be
fairly easy but there are a few segments that could be tough on a heavy GS
in dry weather and sheer misery on anything if wet.
It is a well travelled route, the oft reported great paved road from
Creel , along the view points of El Divisadero to San Rafeal, new
pavement under construction for 30 km west of SR then well groomed
gravel most of the way via Bahuichivo, Temoris, and Chinipas and hotels for you in every one of these towns. Below Temoris there is the railway station hamlet where
you might get onboard , who knows ? There is also a scenic clifftop overlook but re commend to leave the bikes parked about 140m before the actual viewpoint to avoid
the nasty steep little section of rocks.
There are no deep water crossings at all , it was excellent weather on my passage and I only splashed in one or two puddles draining across the road .
West of Temoris the road climbs across the Sierra Palmarejo and there is lots of
mining activity , the Palmarejo Mine. At that village the road gets really steep for awhile and it looked like a lot of clay surface which could get nasty and slimy if wet.
Chinipas has hotels and a bridge across the river at far north end past air strip.
On west side of that river I went south again opposite the town and at the river ford
point found the road continuation to be between the horse paddock and the ranch house tricky to locate.
From there I followed the gravel road southwest to discover that it climbed steeply
up the mountain face with lots of hairpins into the pine forest.
This was the toughest section of the entire ride and will really test you on the heavy GS and KTM . For about 30km it goes on, stretches with big rocks , some flat, some ragged, sections with deep ground up white or grey powder volcanic ash , often 10to 20cm deep sometimes with the loose rocks mixed in, othe parts okay packed gravel or bare bedrock. I managed to get through without falling by very slow riding and looking well ahead to pick a line. Only got stopped once for a moment when I did not have enough momentum , but I figured that if I did fall when going so slow it was less likely to do as much damage as a banzai type run. This part would be pure torture and misery in wet weather!
Once at the top the conditions eased off remarkably and there was a small shop for refreshments. From there on it was enjoyable gravel road past the Milpillas village turn off and onto the more open hillscape and return to pavement at Los Tanques on the deser for the last part to Alamos.. I slept extremely well that night in Alamos and had a wonderful late wake up to a most beautiful day , hard to describe the feeling of relief and accomplishment , just walked around enjoying everything till lunch time.
From Alamos I could have taken the main highway Sin 13 west to Navajoa but
I chose the southern route out of town via Los Muertos and there west to Masiaca and Mex 15 for the run to TOPOLOBAMPO.
This is not quite the route you outlined Renogeorge, but an enjoyable alternate.
After returning home I learned that in the same timeframe another group of motorcycles experienced a bit of nastiness with bandidos on the gravel road from el Fuerte to Los Muertos and Alamos, so I was glad once again for my rote choices.
I have been through El Fuerte and Choix but only as visits starting from and retreating to Los Mochis .
Must agree with Judjonzz, lighter is always better.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #63
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Thank you very much for the info!!

First of all, we will be down there in late March. So I don't know how much conditions change with water levels and bridge issues. Second, like any good adventure rider, I never want to double back if I can avoid it. BUT, we are going to Batopilas so I would really like to find a way south IF it can be done safely. Riding smaller bikes on this trip is not an option given our distance and time requirements--Nevada to CC, then all the way north up Baja and back to NV. So we will be on big bikes but not camping and not heavily loaded.

I am no doubt confused on the route alternatives. But what I think I am hearing are 3 basic options from Batopilas to get us to Las Mochis/Topolobampo and the ferry to La Paz, probably with variations:

1. Backtrack north through Creel all the way back to Hwy 16 then west to San Nicolas and south on Hwy 12 to Ciudad Obregon. As a variation, how is the road west off of the Creel road at San Juanito cutting across to the Basaseachic area?

2. Backtrack north to Creel, then west on dirt (?) using the route described by Sjoerd, eventually over to Choix or El Fuerte??

3. South out of Bato then west over the mountains to Choix or??

So, if you were with a group of old guys riding bigger bikes, good dirt riders BUT NOT NEEDING TO PROVE OUR MANHOOD, but hating to backtrack like any good adventurer, what would you do?

This site is great and the help is very much appreciated!!
Old 01-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #64
judjonzz
Beastly

The road from San Juanito to Basaseachic is wide, good smooth gravel, very easy for big bikes. There was some construction when I was there a few years ago, so it is probably even better by now. There are some very cool cabins up by the falls. You might encounter some snow up there. We have run into quite a bit in early March.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #65
Tury
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
San Juanito to Basaseachic

Quote:
Originally Posted by judjonzz View Post
The road from San Juanito to Basaseachic is wide, good smooth gravel, very easy for big bikes. There was some construction when I was there a few years ago, so it is probably even better by now. There are some very cool cabins up by the falls. You might encounter some snow up there. We have run into quite a bit in early March.
It has been paved all the way for the past 2 years, but at this time it has snowed and where the sun doesn´t shine be careful since the ice does not melt until after March. In México salt is not used to melt the snow-ice.

Concerning the routes from to - out of Batopilas-Urique ,Chinipas to Alamos I can get first hand information.

Will be riding that area in March, I live at Chihuahua, dirt roads are and will be dificult for BIG BIKES, travel EXTREMLY LIGHT.
Tury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #66
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks so much Judjonzz and Tury.

I think we will use the Basaseachic-San Juanito cutoff on the way down unless snow is an issue. We wanted to see the Falls anyway.

As this thread was pointed out to me, I am now looking at this route, south out of Batopilas to Morelos then west to El Fuerte. If you have additional thoughts on this route or others you'd recommend, please let me know.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=937782
Old 01-06-2014, 08:27 PM   #67
Tury
Gnarly Adventurer

Out of Batopilas

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
Thanks so much Judjonzz and Tury.

I think we will use the Basaseachic-San Juanito cutoff on the way down unless snow is an issue. We wanted to see the Falls anyway.

As this thread was pointed out to me, I am now looking at this route, south out of Batopilas to Morelos then west to El Fuerte. If you have additional thoughts on this route or others you'd recommend, please let me know.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=937782
From Bato to Morelos,to Choix-- El Fuerte out of question for the Big Maxi trail bikes KTM 990 --1200 GS, not that it can´t be done, best shot is from Bato by Rodeo--Tubares--Choix.

Still time for the maintainance crews till March and at the same time chances of more bad weather. I´ll have you posted " mucho frio para XX lager"
Old 01-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #68
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

o Negra Modelo, Indio, y por seguro Tecate si no tienes las otras. Tomo cerveza mejor que hablo Espanol....

Do you have a map or GPS track/route showing your suggested route?
Old 01-07-2014, 01:59 PM   #69
judjonzz
Beastly

If Tury does not have the tracks, the guy who probably does is CWC.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #70
dajuice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I just replied to this thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=161

...then noticed this thread. The route I'm talking about there is the route Tury mentions here as your best bet if you want to go south... Bato--Rodeo--Tubares--Choix.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #71
Tury
Gnarly Adventurer

CWC tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by judjonzz View Post
If Tury does not have the tracks, the guy who probably does is CWC.
You are right, CWC has the tracks; getting out of Batopilas to Rodeo is only 21 kms ( 13 miles) and the first 5 kms could be tough because of the tight switch-backs ,we call them Zetas (not the drug guys),only 1st gear,maybe 2nd for the Beemer..to Rodeo at the most 2 hrs.

No water crossings,

For sure CWC will help with the tracks,by way he is coming in March
Old 01-07-2014, 08:38 PM   #72
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

I have received tracks from a couple of the guys on here. I am still trying to sort through them. I am getting somewhat confused. Not all of the towns referenced when guys describe routes are shown on any maps I have.

My GPS skills are not that good. So it may be a matter of me working with the info which has been provided. I will do that and see what I think I know about the best route. Hopefully you guys will be able to confirm

Thank you again for all the help!!!!
Old 01-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #73
Tury
Gnarly Adventurer

Out of Batopilas

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
I have received tracks from a couple of the guys on here. I am still trying to sort through them. I am getting somewhat confused. Not all of the towns referenced when guys describe routes are shown on any maps I have.

My GPS skills are not that good. So it may be a matter of me working with the info which has been provided. I will do that and see what I think I know about the best route. Hopefully you guys will be able to confirm

Thank you again for all the help!!!!
The short way out of Batopilas twds. Choix-El Fuerte the route PASSES by Rodeo and leaving Batopilas for the Big Bikes is avoiding to get to Satevó,even for smaller bikes, specialy after the rains
Old 01-08-2014, 06:57 PM   #74
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Thank you Tury. Is the route you recommend shown as a track by one of the other posters or from some other source?
Old 01-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #75
dajuice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
George, I don't have the full tracks showing the exact routes you want to take but the tracks Tury is saying CWC has are what have made their way into my map. CWC started the map and I took over. Because of how it was done I don't have the actual tracks but I have a gpx file with some waypoints that show all the towns we are talking about. I quickly put a few of the options we've been talking about in various threads in the gpx file linked below just pointing from town to town. It will be farily obvious which roads to take from there.... Just don't go to Satevo if you take the shorter route, head up the canyon wall as you get to the south side of Bato. You should only see Satevo if you decide to follow Chabons route that goes through Morelos.

Bato to El Fuerte big bike routes.zip

Turys route (the short route) is the green one and Chabon's Route (longer via Morelos) is the green one. Overlay these on my map and you will see exactly where to go. I am certain Tury and I are talking about the same route as I road the section from Bato to Tubares with him in 2012. We spent all day trying to get a cell phone signal to call CWC to pass on an urgent message to his son who was supposed to be meeting us.

dajuice screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 08:32 PM
dajuice is offline   Reply With Quote