Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #76
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
That file opens as text with no map. Is there something I do to turn it into a map? Sorry for my GPS ignorance....
Old 01-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #77
dajuice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
OK your computer was trying to open the gpx file in the browser. I put it in a zip file and changed the link in my post above to point at the zip file. Try it again.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #78
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Got it. Thanks!!

In the meantime, I downloaded the mapping tutorial off your web site. I have a lot of studying to do.

My next challenge is to get the track into/onto a map--with topo, town names, etc. And then to figure out what and how to get it into the Montana. lots to learn!
Old 01-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #79
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
Thank you very much for the info!!

First of all, we will be down there in late March. So I don't know how much conditions change with water levels and bridge issues. Second, like any good adventure rider, I never want to double back if I can avoid it. BUT, we are going to Batopilas so I would really like to find a way south IF it can be done safely.

This site is great and the help is very much appreciated!!
Just got back in November 2013. Do not, I repeat do not take the road down to batopilas. It's under construction and subject to closure daily until 6:00 PM. My group attempted it and sat half way down the mountain for 5 hours until dark. The construction sections are quite difficult in the dark and we were on small dual sport bikes. Once we got past the construction sections, the overlook is now gone, we rode through at least 25 landslide sections of newly paved roads- Mexican construction techniques are not quite that of US road builders.

I've done this road three times in the past five years and will not go this route again once it's been paved over, which will take another year or two. The canyon will change forever so go now but drop in elsewhere and backtrack to bato...

PM me for our routes. I should have some good maps with route info and gps coordinates still in my Montana.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #80
redwing51
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
hey motomo-
Are you saying that the road from Creel to Batopilas is under construction? And to avoid it?
I will be going to Baranca del Cobre in early March from Ojinaga on a 1150GS by myself. I shouldn't have any real problems, right? Just adventure, right?
redwing51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #81
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing51 View Post
hey motomo-
Are you saying that the road from Creel to Batopilas is under construction? And to avoid it?
I will be going to Baranca del Cobre in early March from Ojinaga on a 1150GS by myself. I shouldn't have any real problems, right? Just adventure, right?
I rode from Creel to Bato in 2010 on a R1150RT, basically a GS with more plastic. I did fine, but the road was not disturbed by construction. We rode in from the north and came in to Bato via the switchbacks and the bridge east of town. In 2012 I rode the same route out of Bato, with construction in process above the current road. The road had been covered with debris from above and was just re-opened. The conditions were a challenge for me on my 650. I know I would have had many tip overs on a heavier bike. I personally would not choose to ride a 600 pound moto in the rough conditions we crossed below the construction. It was only about a mile long, but it was boulders and lots of rutted stuff; basically a cat track, which is exactly how it was made.

The condition of the road because of the construction will determine your challenge, and you won't know much about that until you get there. We also rode through the construction during the day. I'd choose to not ride that at night for many reasons.