Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2007, 11:07 PM   #16
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Gringo
I paid with a credit card at the airport in Santiago. You can also pay the exit tax at Ezieza with a credit card.
Who said there is no progress in Latin America?

You used to have to pay both in cash, not that long ago...

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:32 AM   #17
Brennan
Food & Bikes

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Just for curiosity's sake, what sort of problems do you think your girlfriend will have if the Customs agents find filters and sparkplugs in her luggage? Seriously, what is the worse thing you could imagine would happen if they found a $2 sparkplug stashed away in her luggage?

She probably won't even have to go through the revision. Most foreigners don't. They'll just wave her through.
I don´t want her to have to pay any duty. Not so much the $2 spark plug that is $12 here. I`m more concerned with the new helmet. I`ll just have her take it out of the box and slap a sticker on it. Thanks for the feedback.
Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:12 AM   #18
al128 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big J
Do you have any info on good places in Cajon del Maipo?
the only place really INSIDE the cajón that I know is el Refugio Lo Valdes ( www.refugiolovaldes.com ) which is also known as refugio alemán (since it was founded by the german andesverein)

but IIRC there are quite some other places about halfway between Stgo and San José de Maipo where you can rent cabañas or make camping (but those tend to be more popular - you understand :-).

There is one restaurant in bosque norte c/ Apoquindo (+/-) that is run by a NZ-lady ... it is called "Café Melba" ... she seems to be in her 40ies, and IIRC has worked as financial manager for some big shot comp before ... any chance she is the same person?

cheers & take care
Al
al128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:20 AM   #19
al128 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Just for curiosity's sake, what sort of problems do you think your girlfriend will have if the Customs agents find filters and sparkplugs in her luggage? Seriously, what is the worse thing you could imagine would happen if they found a $2 sparkplug stashed away in her luggage?

She probably won't even have to go through the revision. Most foreigners don't. They'll just wave her through.
agreed ... the OFICIAL limit for customs is US$ 150.00 pp - but unless you bring the stuff in on a semi-commercial base - you should be good ... if I bring in stuff that is beyond this limit, I just leave the new boxes behind ... and NEVER had a single problem

but as already mentioned - dont expect problems
cheers
al
al
Old 04-02-2007, 08:51 AM   #20
Shaft
counting my blessings

Oddometer: 4,386
al 128
Thanks for the web site (map city)
Just wish I knew this sooner
Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:35 PM   #21
ontheborder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan
I don´t want her to have to pay any duty. Not so much the $2 spark plug that is $12 here. I`m more concerned with the new helmet. I`ll just have her take it out of the box and slap a sticker on it. Thanks for the feedback.
In January we took our helmets on the plane in helmet bags. Never asked any of us anything about them. They actually want you to come down here.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:47 PM   #22
Aussie_Gringo
The anti-septic

Oddometer: 7,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by al128
Hi there,

having lived in Stgo for nearly 10 yrs now - and being actively involved with off-road travelling, I feel I can help some - so I am all for Q's.

cheers and best wishes
Al
A little off topic, but.....

If there was only a few things you could take with you from Chile back to the States, what would they be? I´m thinking things that generally can´t be imported from the US.

How has the relocation worked out for you?

Thanks,

Neal
Aussie_Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:26 PM   #23
The Big J
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
the only place really INSIDE the cajón that I know is el Refugio Lo Valdes ( www.refugiolovaldes.com ) which is also known as refugio alemán (since it was founded by the german andesverein)

but IIRC there are quite some other places about halfway between Stgo and San José de Maipo where you can rent cabañas or make camping (but those tend to be more popular - you understand :-).

There is one restaurant in bosque norte c/ Apoquindo (+/-) that is run by a NZ-lady ... it is called "Café Melba" ... she seems to be in her 40ies, and IIRC has worked as financial manager for some big shot comp before ... any chance she is the same person?

cheers & take care
Al
Thanks for that, it seemed an interesting place to poke around but as I was on foot couldn't see if there were genuine untouched areas or just the developed 'piscinas' for daytrippers.

Re, Cafe Melba, yeah Dell used to work with a few NZ corporates, the owner is the same one. Melba was her first cafe, Akarana was the high class place around the corner in a beautiful white house. If I make it to Chile on my trip I'll poke around. It was a good restaurant when I was there.

Josh
The Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:31 AM   #24
al128 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAdventura
A little off topic, but.....

If there was only a few things you could take with you from Chile back to the States, what would they be? I´m thinking things that generally can´t be imported from the US.

How has the relocation worked out for you?

Thanks,

Neal
I'd prob. go crazy with red wine :-) and possibly some antiques or handcrafts (hats, ponchos, that kind of stuff) ... "regular" commercial stuff can be had cheaper in the states

concerning relocation - the qual of life for foreign professionals is rather good, climate in stgo is great from spring to fall, and poorer in winter (due to a lot of smog) - also nannies are still quite common - so you dont have to mess around a lot cleaning your house :-) ... also renting a house or department is fairly inexpensive compared to other mayor cities.

cheers
al
Old 04-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #25
Flying Gringo
Coming Soon

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan
I`m more concerned with the new helmet. I`ll just have her take it out of the box and slap a sticker on it.
Better yet, have her wear it, bite down on a stick and bang her head against the walls as she is going through customs.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:19 AM   #26
Brennan
Food & Bikes

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Better yet, have her wear it, bite down on a stick and bang her head against the walls as she is going through customs.
She would do it.
Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:10 PM   #27
ontheborder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
I'd prob. go crazy with red wine :-) and possibly some antiques or handcrafts (hats, ponchos, that kind of stuff) ... "regular" commercial stuff can be had cheaper in the states

concerning relocation - the qual of life for foreign professionals is rather good, climate in stgo is great from spring to fall, and poorer in winter (due to a lot of smog) - also nannies are still quite common - so you dont have to mess around a lot cleaning your house :-) ... also renting a house or department is fairly inexpensive compared to other mayor cities.

cheers
al
Climate? If you are indoors expect to inhale about 3 packs of cigs a day and I think I have that a little low.....
Old 04-05-2007, 08:03 PM   #28
Flying Gringo
Coming Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmurf
al 128
Thanks for the web site (map city)
Just wish I knew this sooner
I'm surprised your Chilean wife doesn't know her way around Santiago.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:06 PM   #29
Flying Gringo
Coming Soon

Quote:

cheers
al
I almost bought a Colo Colo mate' in Santiago, but that would be so wrong. We were chilling with the environmentalistas at the roadblock between Argentina and Uruguay and my polola stirred the yerba with the bombilla. They just don't get it. You're right about the wine. But you have to check it now, so pack it really well.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:17 AM   #30
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Thanks Al, gringo, otb & others,

I'll be heading to Santiago in Jan 08. I am vascillating on whether to buy a bike in the states and ship or buy something in Santiago.

Shipping is turning out to be much more expensive from the states to Santiago. I was hopeing to use Lan Cargo. I can easily get to LAX. Got quoted by volume-kilos as oppossed to straight kilos. Gave them only full bike size. Any idea what size a v-strom 650 would crate to? Any other shipping ideas will be helpful.

I also saw a link to a site someone described it as the South Am eBay. Had a fair number of bikes. Other shopping in chile ideas would be helpful as well. I'll only have about a month in the states after I return from the Himalaya to arrange a bike & head south to the Andes.

I had a guy in Cuzco offer me $4000k for a Yamaha xt660r w/ 13000 km. Are deals like this easy to find? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

BTW, I had to pay cash for resiprosity on 5/24.
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote