User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2007, 08:12 PM   #1
toole OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Lowering links in, Trying to lower front KLR650

I Just put in my new lowering links, and new side stand. Cuurently trying to lower front by 3/4" Clamps are looose and have pryed on them some. Can't get the front to budget on the forks.

Need help asap. Need to get this done so I can put the wifes car back in the garage.

Thanks,
Randy
toole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
Gadjet
Gadget Freak

Oddometer: 115
you've loosened both upper and lower clamps, right? (I know, this may seem like a silly thing to say, but I've known people who have forgotten to do just that)

can you grab the fork tubes and rotate them in the clamps at all? If the clamps are loose enough, you should be able to rotate the upper fork tubes freely in the clamps.

There may be some corrosion on the fork tubes, depending on age of bike and how well it's been maintained.

Try sitting on the bike and pushing down on the front of the bike using the handlebars (if you haven't already, which I suspect you probably have) It might help if you have the front tire up against the wall of the garage so that the bike can't roll forward while you are pushing on the bars.
Through the eyeglass in reverse

Rush, Territories

IBA#20953
My Pics
Gadjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
KansasKawboy
KK

Oddometer: 724
Have you loosened the clamps on the fork boots?
KansasKawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
eaglemike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasKawboy
Have you loosened the clamps on the fork boots?
What he said........ Just watch out when everything is loose......... I've read a few stories about "down it goes!"

all the best,

Mike
eaglemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:12 PM   #5
toole OP
Adventurer

Fork adjustnebt Still no go

So far upper and lower clamps loosened ( 4 bolts total each side).

What is the fork boot clamp? Is that just the lower of the two brackets?

I have beat and pryed on each PAIR of clamps on each side. So mfar I have dropped it by about 1/4 " max.

What next? More beating and prying hoping I don't break something?

Thanks,
Randy
Old 03-28-2007, 10:01 PM   #6
KansasKawboy
KK

It's like a hose clamp at the top of the rubber boots.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:03 PM   #7
eaglemike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
The rubber boots or gaiters on the fork tubes. Just under the lower triple clamp there is a screw tightened band-type clamp (on each fork tube) to hold the boots in place. If your bike has all the stock stuff, they are there. They are also enough to let you go 1/4" after a lot of aginy if they haven't been loosened. You're not the first person that has run inot this - if that's the problem. Beware, if it is, and everything is loose, the front end might drop a bunch all at once.

all the best,

Mike

p.s. I type reaaally slooooow.
eaglemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:17 PM   #8
KansasKawboy
KK

Thanks eaglemike you explained it better than me. I'm one of those that run into that problem.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:50 AM   #9
toole OP
Adventurer

Boot clamp

I see the boot clamp now. The lower triple clamp is resting on top of the boot/clamp area. I assumed that the boot/clamp was designed to fit on the fork at a specific location. Apparently not? I see that if I loosen the boot clamp then the whole assembly will slide down. Just get to my final height above the top bracket and tighten things up. Shooting for 1.5" with a 1" lowering link installed. Does that sound about right?

Thanks for the great help.

Randy
Old 03-29-2007, 06:13 AM   #10
urbaneccessity602
Banned

Oddometer: 137
I had been riding around on my '06 KLR for the past year with the front forks lowred 3.5 inches, they call this the shipping height. Yep, my dealer had forgotten to raise them to the highest level. We had talked about raising the or "dropping the forks" to the highest level but never got around to doing it.

One thing the mechanic noticed was the unusual amount of brake fluid used in the front res. he said was due to the fact that the bike was lower than normal.

Anyway just raised them up and I can truly say...what a different ride!!! I have to hold on while accelerating, the bike will throw me off. I actually thought the lower position was more uncomfortable but I feel I had more control while accelerating. Unfortunately I like the bike a whole lot more in the higher position.

I have been wary of putting "high test" fuel in the tank because the last time I did that I almost got thrown off the bike....now I am really cautious about filling up with the 92 lead.

Take Care,
urbaneccessity602

'72 Honda CB 175
'06 KLR 650
Mods:
Euro style directional switch
Corbin carbon Fiber seat
Pirelli 80/20 scorpion tires
Givi 52 Max top case
mirror upgrade w/ no vibration

'08 Kawasaki Versys 650(Fall '07

I don't know if you read this link regarding " KLR Supermoto" or KLR motard...very interesting.

urbaneccessity602 screwed with this post 03-29-2007 at 07:01 AM
urbaneccessity602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:52 AM   #11
KansasKawboy
KK

Quote:
Originally Posted by toole
I see the boot clamp now. The lower triple clamp is resting on top of the boot/clamp area. I assumed that the boot/clamp was designed to fit on the fork at a specific location. Apparently not? I see that if I loosen the boot clamp then the whole assembly will slide down. Just get to my final height above the top bracket and tighten things up. Shooting for 1.5" with a 1" lowering link installed. Does that sound about right?

Thanks for the great help.

Randy

That should get you close. I would loosen one clamp move it down the amount you want and tighten the clamp then loosen the other clamp. If you loosen both at the same time it will come down fast and then you have to go back to where you want it.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:00 PM   #12
toole OP
Adventurer

Success!

That was the ticket. It was resting on top of the fork boots. It was late last night and I was tired and blind I guess.

Got home from work today and figured how much lower I needed to go. Lowered the boot by that amount on one side, secured the boot, gently loosened the bolts and gentle pushed it down. Piece of cake. Repeated on the other side.

Took it for a spin tonight. Much better with 1" lowering links. I can just about flat foot it now at a stop. Can also swing my old stiff leg over the saddle now. No more "horsey" maneuver!

Thanks guys!

Randy
Old 03-29-2007, 08:16 PM   #13
KansasKawboy
KK

Glad everything worked out for you.