User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
saberstud OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Wait for 2008 (KLR 650 that is)

There seems to be a trend at the dealers and on ebay that the closer we get to the 2008 KLRs getting into showrooms the lower the prices get on the 2007 model. Dealers and ebay alike have gone below the $4K price lately, ebay even offering free delivery if you pay closer to the MSRP. This is probably not news to many viewers.

But even as the prices plummet on the old models I have to ask myself if they are worth it. Bare with me, I am not saying that the old model is bad but what is it going to cost to upgrade the brakes, suspension, and voltage output to be comperable to the 2008 model? Definately more than the $150.00 difference in the price between the two MSRPs and most likely more than the money you will save with the discounts. Even if you get an old KLR discounted enough to make all the mods you still have a bike that looks 21 years old. Some people like the old school look, I want to move on.

I guess the point of this post is buyers beware! It may pay to wait for the new model in the long run. OBTW, for the record...I think the 2008 model will have more power and will be about the same wieght as the 2007, contrary to information on the new model up to this point.
saberstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:50 AM   #2
Wenduro
Agenda 21 Refugee

Oddometer: 1,839
Funny, I rushed out and bought an '07 after seeing and reading what was available re:the '08.
Wenduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
Kevy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
With 20+ years in production, evryone buying an '07 knows exactly what they're getting.

Only the buyer knows whether or not it's a good value.

Kev..
Old 03-29-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
saberstud OP
Gnarly Adventurer

08 is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenduro
Funny, I rushed out and bought an '07 after seeing and reading what was available re:the '08.
Did you also rush out and purchase the oversized front brake rotor, steel braided lines, and progressive fork springs...maybe even the fork brace? Thats what lots of other owners do to consider the KLR safe for highway travel. Well, if you did you have spend about half the difference between your bike and the new model...assuming that you bought it for the current selling price of $4K

saberstud screwed with this post 03-29-2007 at 01:31 PM
Old 03-29-2007, 01:47 PM   #5
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:
Everyone likes to put down the new bike without ever seeing it, riding it, or even waiting for a test. It is that way for nearly every new model I have ever been interested in. There was the "Girly" Tiger, any e-start enduro, the Aluminum WRs, ... Rarely do the manufacturers ever make a bike worse and after 20+ years hopefully Kawasaki learned something.

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
Wenduro
Agenda 21 Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by He who has faith
Did you also rush out and purchase the oversized front brake rotor, steel braided lines, and progressive fork springs...maybe even the fork brace? Thats what lots of other owners do to consider the KLR safe for highway travel. Well, if you did you have spend about half the difference between your bike and the new model...assuming that you bought it for the current selling price of $4K
Rotor-Yes
Steel Lines-No
Progressives-No
Brace-No

It rides just fine on the highway and hey, look at this, it has more suspension travel.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:55 PM   #7
eaglemike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
How much money would it cost to add some travel to the suspension?? What would you have to take off the 2008 to get down to the weight of the 2007?

all the best,

Mike

p.s. is this a troll?
eaglemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:03 PM   #8
saberstud OP
Gnarly Adventurer

08 is great

Quote:
Rotor-Yes
Steel Lines-No
Progressives-No
Brace-No

It rides just fine on the highway and hey, look at this, it has more suspension travel.
The 1 inch of lost travel means nothing because they replaced it with a progressive suspension that has less sag when loaded. Net loss of travel when rider is on bike = 0 inches. Any other areas of the 2008 that you you don't like?
Old 03-29-2007, 02:06 PM   #9
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,220
Has anyone ridden the 08?

Only then can the way be known, my padwan...

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:09 PM   #10
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberstud
The 1 inch of lost travel means nothing because they replaced it with a progressive suspension that has less sag when loaded. Net loss of travel when rider is on bike = 0 inches. Any other areas of the 2008 that you you don't like?
That's total rubbish. Lost travel=lost travel.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:17 PM   #11
Wenduro
Agenda 21 Refugee

Quote:
Quite frankly, I think the new fairing and fender look like ass. F650 wannabe kinda.

Flame suit on.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:24 PM   #12
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,125
When you are comparing weight, are you doing off the quoted 33X # quoted by Kawasaki for the 07 and earlier models, well if you belive that I have a bridge in Manhatten to sell you...

If the '08 were availble when I bought my F650, I would be riding a KLR. It fixed every one of the things I found were deal breaking shortcomings with the current model. Top end power, better brakes, more wattage. I couldn't give a tinkers cuss about suspention travel, after all I bought an F650, whose front end is quite possibly more noodely than a KLR's.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"

dwayne screwed with this post 03-29-2007 at 02:30 PM
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #13
eaglemike
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Some of us can set the current model up with roughly the correct amount of sag, for low $$. So, you were saying..............???

And now it's just down to 1 inch of lost travel? Seems like it was more than that. And what about the extra weight on the bike??

all the best,

Mike

Yupper, I was right...........
Old 03-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #14
eaglemike
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne
When you are comparing weight, are you doing off the quoted 33X # quoted by Kawasaki for the 07 and earlier models, well if you belive that I have a bridge in Manhatten to sell you...
And you think they are going to be more accurate now?

all the best,

Mike
Old 03-29-2007, 02:32 PM   #15
saberstud OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemike
How much money would it cost to add some travel to the suspension?? What would you have to take off the 2008 to get down to the weight of the 2007?

all the best,

Mike

p.s. is this a troll?
See above post reference the suspension. Also, about the weight. I am assuming that you are referring to the Canadian website whoses statistics have already been labeled as inaccurate by other viewers on this website