Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2007, 02:34 PM   #16
rustynail
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
I, too, ran out and bought the 07. For 4600 OTD BTW. It sealed the deal when I saw that Kawasaki reports 48ps on the '07 on the U.S. sites. On the Canadian websites they report 44ps for the '08. So, if Kawi reports a 4ps difference between the two, it leads me to believe that the new cam timing and other engine changes are to improve fuel efficiency and emissions, not power.

Sorry, but I am happy to own the last of a long line of great bikes. The 2008 may be an awesome bike in it's own right, don't get me wrong. I may even own an '08 or later someday, but I am much happier with an '07 for right now.

And BTW, if you search this forum (and others), I think it is universally accepted that a wave rotor is nothing but cosmetics on a bike of this type. Racing bikes need the added surface area for heat dissipation. On a KLR, it's just looks.
'09 XR650L
'09 AN650
rustynail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:35 PM   #17
eaglemike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberstud
See above post reference the suspension. Also, about the weight. I am assuming that you are referring to the Canadian website whoses statistics have already been labeled as inaccurate by other viewers on this website
Do you have accurate info then? Where is it?

all the best,

Mike
eaglemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:37 PM   #18
saberstud OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenduro
Quite frankly, I think the new fairing and fender look like ass. F650 wannabe kinda.

Flame suit on.
I actually agree with you on the fender looking like trash, easy fix though. I think the fairing looks pretty good. Especially compaired to the fairing on the 07 that looks like it belongs on a 20+ year old bike, oh wait...thats what it is on.
saberstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:50 PM   #19
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemike
And you think they are going to be more accurate now?

all the best,

Mike
FWIW, probably more accurate. I bet the weight they spec for the current ('07) model is really for the KLR 600. I am to young to know the diffrence, does anyone rember if they changed that weight spec 20 years ago?

Do you think the new versions will weigh more in reality? Not challenging, just asking, I didn't see anything that would suggest a 40 plus pound weigh diffrence, maybe I missed something?

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:55 PM   #20
saberstud OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Common Sense is NOT common

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemike
Do you have accurate info then? Where is it?

all the best,

Mike
Lets think about this logically...Kawasaki is one of the leading motorcycle manufactures in the world. agree? Do you really think they will mass produce a motorcycle that is much heavier and makes less HP? Especially after 20+ years of R&D? The most likely reason for the differences in the numbers is different standards at the time of publishing.

That is like saying a 1986 chevy pickup is better than the new redesigned silverado. It doesn't pass the common sense test.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #21
saberstud OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne
FWIW, probably more accurate. I bet the weight they spec for the current ('07) model is really for the KLR 600. I am to young to know the diffrence, does anyone rember if they changed that weight spec 20 years ago?

Do you think the new versions will weigh more in reality? Not challenging, just asking, I didn't see anything that would suggest a 40 plus pound weigh diffrence, maybe I missed something?
Finally, someone that looked at this logically. Dwayne, I applaud you on your common sense.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:00 PM   #22
rustynail
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberstud
That is like saying a 1986 chevy pickup is better than the new redesigned silverado
ummmm...... I'd say that!

lol, but seriously, manufacturers don't always make moves in their lineup that are entirely logical from our standpoint. They often make changes to cut costs/meet new regulations. Trouble is they have to convince the consumer that the changes are for YOUR benefit. Looks like they convinced you...
'09 XR650L
'09 AN650
Old 03-29-2007, 03:04 PM   #23
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynail
I, too, ran out and bought the 07. For 4600 OTD BTW. It sealed the deal when I saw that Kawasaki reports 48ps on the '07 on the U.S. sites. On the Canadian websites they report 44ps for the '08. So, if Kawi reports a 4ps difference between the two, it leads me to believe that the new cam timing and other engine changes are to improve fuel efficiency and emissions, not power.
48 PS = 46.36 HP

44 PS = 43.4 HP

I call BS on the 07 numbers, the 08 probably are a little optimistic too, I bet.

Any moron can post numbers on the web, doesn't make them accurate. We all know this.

And as far as the 20 year newer model automatically being "better" than the old model... I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think that's pretty subjective.

The "old" KLR has way more aftermarket support at this point, and has been modified extensively by owners to the point that any hack can turn a stock old KLR into whatever they want, including a bike that handles better, stops better, and outruns the "new" KLR.

Thanks
CA Stu
Old 03-29-2007, 03:15 PM   #24
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,151
your correct stu, but the question remains...can they improve the '07 bike for less than the price diffrence of the new model.

I bet alot of those aftermarket farkles fit the "new" KLR, and they may even help eaglemike out by not improving the doohicky.

Not a huge fan of the new model, but like I said I would have bought Kawasaki again if the claims for '08 are close to being correct.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:19 PM   #25
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,484
Again, nobody really knows their ass from their elbow on this one. Never knew something could suck so bad before it is released.

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:29 PM   #26
eaglemike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
If they pulled the front suspension off the C model, which it looks like they did - it's heavier. The new swingarm could easily be heavier. It's all speculation at this point. Since it is, it's also total to say the new model is so much better than the older model.

Since a low mile old model can be had VERY cheaply.......It's possible to build a bike that will outrun and out-handle the new bike for less than the new bike cost - if you can turn a wrench.

all the best,

Mike
eaglemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:30 PM   #27
Old Kiwi#99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
My '08 (green, of course) is supposed to be here on Monday or Tuesday (April 2 or 3)
I'll post pics and see what questions I can answer when I have my hands on it.
(the dealer wouldn't lie, would he?)
Old Kiwi#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:33 PM   #28
Sparkdaddy
aventurero

Oddometer: 926
I wonder what will happen to the 07's price when the 08's hit the floor and the 08 ends up being the shiznit? Either way it's nice to have an affordable choice.
Sparkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:39 PM   #29
rustynail
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu
48 PS = 46.36 HP

44 PS = 43.4 HP

I call BS on the 07 numbers, the 08 probably are a little optimistic too, I bet.

Any moron can post numbers on the web, doesn't make them accurate. We all know this.

And as far as the 20 year newer model automatically being "better" than the old model... I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think that's pretty subjective.

The "old" KLR has way more aftermarket support at this point, and has been modified extensively by owners to the point that any hack can turn a stock old KLR into whatever they want, including a bike that handles better, stops better, and outruns the "new" KLR.

Thanks
CA Stu
I totally agree that numbers are not the final end-all-be-all for comparing bikes. I did a spreadsheet comparing the DR650 to the KLR 650 when I was still deciding what bike to buy. The DR, to me, seemed to have an edge on paper. But, when I went and sat on the KLR, it instantly won me over. I'm a big guy (6'4", 205lbs) so the ergos were much better on the KLR for me. Just goes to show that numbers aren't the end of the story...

I didn't just pull numbers off the 'net and post them, I drew conclusions from them. As slight as the difference may be, these are the numbers posted by the manufacterer... So I stand by my thought that it has to do with emissions/regulations more than an improvement for the consumer.
'09 XR650L
'09 AN650
Old 03-29-2007, 03:43 PM   #30
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,813
I'm confused: isn't the 08 just a remake of the questionable parts on the earlier models? I see numerous people talking like there is a new bike coming out that we have to wait and see how it does. In reality it is the old bike with a few items upgraded to meet the crys of those that wanted more braking power, and more horse power, and better suspension. Having used all my suspension for many years I would much rather have forks that are thicker than forks that travel farther and twist off road at every small ridge in the road. I've not owned a KLR ye, but have upgraded suspension and jetting and handling on a 2004. The new KLR seems head and shoulders better than the earlier models, if the bigger brakes actually stop the bike, and the free flowing head actually improves performance enough to allow better breathing- how much more so when a pipe and jetting is applied. This is not a bike that we have to wait and see if it remains as reliable as the old one- it is the old one revamped to our desires. Looks wise it is a little Adventure-ish for me but so is every other new product in that catagory.