Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2007, 04:44 PM   #31
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Inquiring minds want to know: Did they finally get off their butts and fix the doohickey?
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:49 PM   #32
rustynail
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker
Inquiring minds want to know: Did they finally get off their butts and fix the doohickey?
That's the $100 question.
'09 XR650L
'09 AN650
rustynail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:12 PM   #33
saberstud OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
08 Aftermarket

The "old" KLR has way more aftermarket support at this point, and has been modified extensively by owners to the point that any hack can turn a stock old KLR into whatever they want, including a bike that handles better, stops better, and outruns the "new" KLR.

Thanks
CA Stu[/quote]

Of coarse a bike that has been unchanged for over 20 years is going to have a broader aftermarket base than a bike that has not hit the market here.

Mark my words...By the time the supply from overseas catches up with the demand for the bike here in the States we will see aftermarket parts starting to appear. Give it a year and there will be plenty of farkles to go around. Of coarse not as many will be needed since many of the pre 08 shortfalls have been fixed.

If the aftermarket parts supplies shuts down in protest of the redesigned KLR I will personally strap a six pack of lonestar beer on the back of my new KLR (with the bigger luggage rack) and deliver it to you in CA
saberstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:54 PM   #34
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,365
Hmmm I've heard the front end was basically lifted off the KLE 500 (which may be the same as the KLR 650 C). The tube diameter is up from 38mm to 41, and that has got to be a change for the better, even if you would prefer not to see the travel decrease. Spoke diameter is greater (stronger). So I can see a few (very few) pounds sneaking in there, and I bet the weight of the swing arm with the new style axle adjuster (which are easier to use, and stronger) is withing a few % points of the original pieces.

Hey you get two headlight bulbs, with the power to run them, and that is a very good thing.

I don't think this bike will have the same following as the classic though. I have a hunch it is filling in a gap for a fully new KLR. New engine, FI, new suspention, new frame...everything. I even predict it moves in the adventure direction and away from the dual sport...for better or worse.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:10 PM   #35
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,869
Just like the OKLR (I need to trademark that), I'm sure some idiot will put knobbies on one and run it in the LA-Barstow to Vegas DS ride this November if I can sell my boat by then.

Thanks
CA Stu
Old 03-29-2007, 06:13 PM   #36
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemike
It's possible to build a bike that will outrun and out-handle the new bike for less than the new bike cost - if you can turn a wrench.
One could say that for any new vs. used KLR debate, current model or otherwise.

So why would anyone ever buy a new one?

bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:50 PM   #37
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,536
I actually sat on and got to check over the 2008 KLR at Daytona this year.

You'd be suprised how much of the bike is still the same old KLR. Other than Cosmetics all I could see totally different was the swingarm, Front Fork and Brake. The motor "looks" the same; supposedly with a new Cylinder Head for better emissions and slightly better hp.

I'd say go with the Old one. The new KLR is still just a KLR just smoothed over a little bit. It's not like it's miles ahead or a totally different bike than the old KLR.

If you want a better Dirt Bike DualSport 650 the Honda XR650L is still better.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:07 PM   #38
Old Kiwi#99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
yeah the dealer lied.
Went back for an update, he called Kawasaki NZ and the latest is the thing ships from the factory in the next couple of days. So maybe mid April. Or not.

Starting to think I shoulda just bought a DR...
Old Kiwi#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:00 PM   #39
saberstud OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Wink 08 more bang for the buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynail
I, too, ran out and bought the 07. For 4600 OTD BTW. It sealed the deal when I saw that Kawasaki reports 48ps on the '07 on the U.S. sites. On the Canadian websites they report 44ps for the '08. So, if Kawi reports a 4ps difference between the two, it leads me to believe that the new cam timing and other engine changes are to improve fuel efficiency and emissions, not power.

Sorry, but I am happy to own the last of a long line of great bikes. The 2008 may be an awesome bike in it's own right, don't get me wrong. I may even own an '08 or later someday, but I am much happier with an '07 for right now.

And BTW, if you search this forum (and others), I think it is universally accepted that a wave rotor is nothing but cosmetics on a bike of this type. Racing bikes need the added surface area for heat dissipation. On a KLR, it's just looks.
Just to set the record straight, I have nothing against the pre 08 KLR. I almost ran out and bought one myself when the prices started getting low, told myself I would by one if they priced it to me under $4K.

However, I started adding up all the aftermarket stuff that I would like to add to the 07 model (updated brakes, progressive suspension f/r, fork brace, and a more powerful stator) and it wound up being about the same as the 08 model. So I said to myself...self why not wait and get the 08 model and get a more powerful motor as well (again not buying the Canadian website stats).

Also, I like the looks of the 08 better than the old model. I know that lots of riders swear by the old bikes but it has not been changed in over 20 years and was in need of a face lift.

Finally, I am aware that wave rotors are no better than standard rotors on bikes such as the klr. However, try to convince me that a larger diameter rotor with a double piston caliper will not stop better than the older one.
saberstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:14 AM   #40
rustynail
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberstud
Just to set the record straight, I have nothing against the pre 08 KLR. I almost ran out and bought one myself when the prices started getting low, told myself I would by one if they priced it to me under $4K.

However, I started adding up all the aftermarket stuff that I would like to add to the 07 model (updated brakes, progressive suspension f/r, fork brace, and a more powerful stator) and it wound up being about the same as the 08 model. So I said to myself...self why not wait and get the 08 model and get a more powerful motor as well (again not buying the Canadian website stats).

Also, I like the looks of the 08 better than the old model. I know that lots of riders swear by the old bikes but it has not been changed in over 20 years and was in need of a face lift.

Finally, I am aware that wave rotors are no better than standard rotors on bikes such as the klr. However, try to convince me that a larger diameter rotor with a double piston caliper will not stop better than the older one.
So really, it's just a matter of opinion.

1st IMHO I can't see the bike weighing less. Larger forks, more fairing, larger luggage rack, larger instrumentation, etc. Means more weight. And more weight is bad to me. Not all riders think this. Some will appreciate the presumably better road manners from being lower and heavier.

2nd - again my opinion - because Kawi posts the horsepower difference, I gotta put some weight into it. You'd think someone at Kawi would say; "hey! this number is lower than the 07 model. we better check it to be sure!"

3rd - still my opinion - the 1 inch travel loss is a big deal. Stock, the sag in the 07 may make it comparable to the 08 without sag. However, 07s will always have more travel. It's easy to add new springs to compensate for the sag. Any way you look at it, you can have more travel for less money on the 07 or prior, just by tapping into it with better springs. To add more travel to the 08, you will need new forks.

And you are absolutely right on the larger rotor and double piston caliper. This is probably the best upgrade to the 08. I haven't modded my front brakes yet, but will add a SS brake line and better pads soon to see how much that improves it. For many riders here, I have read that provides more than enough brake improvement.

After modding the "necessary" items, I still will be 300-400 dollars less than the 08, but I will have a bike with more suspension travel, maybe slightly more hp, and highly likely less weight.

Having said all that, I will say again that the 08 is probably going to be a great bike too. And It's highly likely one will be sitting in my garage one day. But, for me, the 07 was the right choice at this time.

Make sure you post a bike review when you get it!

edit: I may own a post 08 some day, but I am holding my breath because I, like many others, think that the 08 is just a parts bin interim upgrade. I still think Kawi has something MUCH better coming in a few years. Nothing really to back it, just a thought.
'09 XR650L
'09 AN650

rustynail screwed with this post 03-30-2007 at 02:39 PM
rustynail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:52 AM   #41
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,373
Will the 08 have a gas gauge?

My dealer is really pushing the leftover 07's he has though...

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:00 AM   #42
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,636
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:04 AM   #43
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones
Fine doen't ell me then....

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:31 AM   #44
Laoch
Buying more ammo

Oddometer: 4,349
Nice troll job Sabre, wtf? KLR cat fight? Mine is better than yours? Has anybody ridden or even seen first hand an '08??

Quote:
the oversized front brake rotor, steel braided lines, and progressive fork springs...maybe even the fork brace? Thats what lots of other owners do to consider the KLR safe for highway travel.

Nobody told me it wasn't safe for highway tavel
And here I am riding all over the damn place on an unsafe bike.

Dude do you even have a KLR? Buy what you want to. Give us a report when you get you '08.

Where is the fookin' dead horse?
Laoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:47 AM   #45
eaglemike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
One could say that for any new vs. used KLR debate, current model or otherwise.

So why would anyone ever buy a new one?

Yupper, lots of people make that choice. This topic is also much discussed, and just plain cussed........

as in: "I know a guy that has a 2006 he wants to sell, only 500 miles. He wants $4000 for it, and it has some goodies on it. Should I buy it, or buy a new one for $4899 OTD?"

That's a little different, IMHO, than the original post. No one really knows what the new bike will be like, weight, etc. At this point where is the pic with the caption "oh no, not this shit again......"?

all the best,

Mike
eaglemike is offline   Reply With Quote