Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2007, 08:31 PM   #61
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer: 3,974
personally I'd love to have seen something like the new 650cc P-twin in the KLR frame.

Don't think I haven't thought about trying it, either. Ninja 650R motors are going for about a grand on Ebay. That would be about 65HP in a KLR frame, with a nice fat torqueband.

Anyone else drooling at the notion? :)
JAFO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:03 PM   #62
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO
personally I'd love to have seen something like the new 650cc P-twin in the KLR frame.

Don't think I haven't thought about trying it, either. Ninja 650R motors are going for about a grand on Ebay. That would be about 65HP in a KLR frame, with a nice fat torqueband.

Frankly, I don't get it. None of these big singles is a super hot rod (although the KTMs and the XR650R come close). But the point is that they are narrow, and pretty light for the torque they make. A parallel twin is just going to be heavy and wide. I would drool at the idea of a <300lb single with the power (and boingers) of an LC4 and the smoothness of a DR650, but I have never felt that any of the big single DS bikes needed more power, weight or complexity.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:19 AM   #63
otto
UAW

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchOnionSoup
Called 5 dealers within 30 miles of Orlando Florida, and all of them have different dates. All say they will not take deposits yet, as the final product is not even in their 07 pricing systems yet. 2 of them laughed at me and said: early release means 2000 bikes nationwide. You won't get one until September or November." Maybe they are buddies or something.

The third dealer I went to in February took my deposit, he even had a printed ad, not much info on it though. So it gets here when it gets here. It's hard enough to get idiot sales men to respond in person let alone over the phone.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:48 AM   #64
Sparkdaddy
aventurero

Oddometer: 926
FYI,
Just stopped in at a local shop, They have KTM"S and Kawa's. Anyway, They had one KLR and I asked the salesman when the 08's would be out and he heard no sooner than the middle of summer, maybe. I asked about what type of deal they would do on the 07 and he said maybe $5k. I guess it's all about demand. Granted it was asked in passing and I was not really negotiating.

Also, they have no idea about the 990's arrival but said there are backstocks of the 950's and they can order them in.
Sparkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:10 AM   #65
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Oddometer: 30,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberstud
Did you also rush out and purchase the oversized front brake rotor, steel braided lines, and progressive fork springs...maybe even the fork brace? Thats what lots of other owners do to consider the KLR safe for highway travel. Well, if you did you have spend about half the difference between your bike and the new model...assuming that you bought it for the current selling price of $4K

Dood, get off of the replace everything syndrome. There are some real basic tuning mods that don't hurt at all, but it is totally unnecessary to replace all the items you've lsted. I've got just over 15,000 miles on my '04, I ride it every day - it is my "work car", it goes to the mountains in NC North GA, and TN a LOT - it gets ridden HARD.
If you just absolutely HAVE to spend all the extra money for all the foo foo stuff, that's fine. Just don't let it hurt your feelings if some old guy on a stock bike is hard for you to keep up with.

Safe for highway travel? I was running 75 - 80 up the 4 lane for 20 or so miles this morning just like I do EVERY morning. KLR's are like riding a sheet of plywood sometimes anyway. Again, all the farkles are not going to change that, it's just a big dirt bike. No more, no less.
They do wobble around a bit on the highway and in side winds - don't get a death grip on the bars, just ride the damn thing, it ain't gonna fall over.

Some simple engine tuning, proper steering head set up, proper tire pressure, proper stock suspension set up and it will work just fine, trust me.

The Second Amendment - it ain't about duck hunting.

You heatherns needs some churchin up - http://www.landoverbaptist.org/
ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:30 AM   #66
FrenchOnionSoup
Confirmed lunatic

Oddometer: 64
Agreed to the last comment. However, upcomming road tests will reveal if the 08 model is a "LOT" better for a mere 150 bucks more... let's just wait and see. Hey man, they kept the fuel tank, what else can you ask for?
Old 04-05-2007, 01:05 PM   #67
pinkolive
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
just seen pics of the klr650 08 you speak of and am i glad we wont be seeing this ugly pile of shite on the UK's roads/trails.

finally, the North American continent gets its punishment for having all that fantastic offroading.
pinkolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:29 AM   #68
boondocker
Time=success

Oddometer: 42
Magazine Test

Has anyone heard of one of the mag's doing a test yet.
You would think if it's supposed to be out thjs month, someone would have a test in the works.
Why go on an adventure when you can live one
boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:25 PM   #69
Kbetts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
No one takes the KLR serious. Like the mega-selling Camry gets a ho-hum response from the car magazines who only want to test the latest $50,000 European offerings, the bike mags rarely test anything under $10,000 and when they do test, it's a "throw them a bone" one page review.

I have Motorcyclist and Cycle World for next month and it's not in them. I'd bet that you'll find a review in Popular Mechanics before you'll see one of the bike-snob (as in wine-snob) magazine editors decides to force a writer to placnk their butt down on an '08 KLR and give him 350 words of faint praise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Hey, this is ADVrider, where facts are not real important.
Kbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:38 PM   #70
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbetts
No one takes the KLR serious. Like the mega-selling Camry gets a ho-hum response from the car magazines who only want to test the latest $50,000 European offerings, the bike mags rarely test anything under $10,000 and when they do test, it's a "throw them a bone" one page review.

I have Motorcyclist and Cycle World for next month and it's not in them. I'd bet that you'll find a review in Popular Mechanics before you'll see one of the bike-snob (as in wine-snob) magazine editors decides to force a writer to placnk their butt down on an '08 KLR and give him 350 words of faint praise.
I bet Rider magazine does a spread on the 08 KLR.

KLRs are all over that mag.

Thanks
CA Stu
Old 04-10-2007, 04:45 PM   #71
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,343
I was working at a Yamaha/Kawasaki Shop as Shop Foreman when the KLX650 came out. It was a thousand higher than the KLR650. After riding them side by side in all kinds or stuff it was determined that the KLX was a better bike than the KLR . Just, not 1000 bucks better. I think that's what killed it becoming a replacement for the KLR. I hope the new '08 is at least better enuff to warrent a 300 to 400 buck increase in price. But then, unlike the KLX time, they will quit making the older KLR. Sniff sniff. So you won' t have a choice in the matter if you want a newer one.

Andy > Offshore Louisiana
'00 KLR 650
"06 DL1000

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:44 PM   #72
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO

I was drooling about the same thing. Then I wandered into my local KTM dealer and came away with a new 950 ADV for $13,500 and never looked back. The KLR stays in the stable though, even though I thought about selling it. The bike will not depreciate much anymore and is fun for day rides in the mountains. I actually thought Kawi would drop the P twin in the new KLR, would have made a wonderful touring/dual sport with a few badly needed LB's to keep it straight up in the wind.
KTM may loose a little ground with the new 990 as the prices are way up. IMO the old 950 is as good a bang for the $ as anything out there while they last, pity about the 35 mpg which makes it almost as expensive as my diesel truck to run.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:56 AM   #73
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberstud
Lets think about this logically...Kawasaki is one of the leading motorcycle manufactures in the world. agree? Do you really think they will mass produce a motorcycle that is much heavier and makes less HP? Especially after 20+ years of R&D? The most likely reason for the differences in the numbers is different standards at the time of publishing.

That is like saying a 1986 chevy pickup is better than the new redesigned silverado. It doesn't pass the common sense test.
yes!
a large majority of klr buyers buy it for road/commuting use. it's cheap mc to buy and own. kawi is making it look modern at the expense of dirtworthyness.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:00 AM   #74
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker
Inquiring minds want to know: Did they finally get off their butts and fix the doohickey?
i'm sure eaglemike hope NOT.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:10 AM   #75
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer: 3,974
While I'm sure the KTM is a fine machine-- look at the price you paid. The bike I propose would go for something like 6 grand or so-- leaving me money for farkles, other bikes, etc.. ;)

Hmm... the KLR mmotor doesn't look too much bigger than the ptwin, come to think... might have to do some measuring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker
I was drooling about the same thing. Then I wandered into my local KTM dealer and came away with a new 950 ADV for $13,500 and never looked back. The KLR stays in the stable though, even though I thought about selling it. The bike will not depreciate much anymore and is fun for day rides in the mountains. I actually thought Kawi would drop the P twin in the new KLR, would have made a wonderful touring/dual sport with a few badly needed LB's to keep it straight up in the wind.
KTM may loose a little ground with the new 990 as the prices are way up. IMO the old 950 is as good a bang for the $ as anything out there while they last, pity about the 35 mpg which makes it almost as expensive as my diesel truck to run.
JAFO is online now   Reply With Quote