Old 04-11-2007, 07:54 AM   #76
eaglemike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
i'm sure eaglemike hope NOT.
Bill,

I don't mind if they fix it! I don't think there is any way they would spend the $$ to make a lever as good as mine, though. The lever issue has sure pulled the community together, IMHO. It's caused a lot of tech days. I think if the people thought about the money they saved, and the amount of work that got done, combined with learning how to work on the bike, the lever change didn't really hurt that bad.

I'm pretty sure I can find some other goodies to make with the freed up machine time. I just got an R12R, and there isn't much aftermarket for it yet.

all the best,

Mike
eaglemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:44 AM   #77
TroopFuel
Green Side Up

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemike
Bill,

I don't mind if they fix it! I don't think there is any way they would spend the $$ to make a lever as good as mine, though. The lever issue has sure pulled the community together, IMHO. It's caused a lot of tech days. I think if the people thought about the money they saved, and the amount of work that got done, combined with learning how to work on the bike, the lever change didn't really hurt that bad.

I'm pretty sure I can find some other goodies to make with the freed up machine time. I just got an R12R, and there isn't much aftermarket for it yet.

all the best,

Mike
I have to say that although I didn't personally install my part, we had ordered several of them and had a KLR day in a friends garage. I did hold the shop light up and pointed it at the engine when it got dark so I can't say I didn't do anything. It was actually a really good time and we all did learn alot. It's good to know how the inside of your bike works and not to mention it turned into a great day and night of wrenching on bikes. Personally it won't bother me if it doesn't have it. It's not like the part costs hundreds of dollars and at least you have the piece of mind knowing you'll have a quality part inside your bike. Plus, Freeflow will have an excuse to order the parts for us, get an airplane ticket and fly out here and get it done. I've already found tickets for him I just need the release date on the 08 KLR's and I'll go ahead and email it to him.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:45 AM   #78
MrMike
No self control

Oddometer: 786
Thumb Saw one!

OK here I was flying along a dirt fire road in So Cal last Saturday when a guy coming the other way flags me down for directions. He said he works for Kawasaki and was putting some miles on this press bike before it goes to the magazines for testing. It was the '08 KLR . I have to admit it looked really good. Yes there was a lot of plastic and the headlights looked like the new Tigers'. It looked a lot less agricultural and a little smaller. I only had a couple of seconds to look it over before he sped off. I have to describe it as more Transalp, less XR650R. I think if your not hard core you'll probably like it.
I had split from the group I was with and had nobody to share the moment with. Thanks for letting me share it with somebody.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:43 PM   #79
felix21685
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike
OK here I was flying along a dirt fire road in So Cal last Saturday when a guy coming the other way flags me down for directions. He said he works for Kawasaki and was putting some miles on this press bike before it goes to the magazines for testing. It was the '08 KLR . I have to admit it looked really good. Yes there was a lot of plastic and the headlights looked like the new Tigers'. It looked a lot less agricultural and a little smaller. I only had a couple of seconds to look it over before he sped off. I have to describe it as more Transalp, less XR650R. I think if your not hard core you'll probably like it.
I had split from the group I was with and had nobody to share the moment with. Thanks for letting me share it with somebody.
nice..cant wait to see one in person.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:29 AM   #80
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike
it's good they put it through it's paces to find issues before handing it over to the press. makes me think of bmw handing surging bikes over to the press and then getting slammed. you would think they would there best tech tune that thing to perfection. kinda funny.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:36 AM   #81
saberstud OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
yes!
a large majority of klr buyers buy it for road/commuting use. it's cheap mc to buy and own. kawi is making it look modern at the expense of dirtworthyness.
Lack of "dirtworthyness" is speculation on your part. I will take a sturdier, factory progressive suspension and more HP over a spongy suspension w/ 1 inch more travel anyday. I doubt that the 08 will be that much heavier than the older model. I guess we will all find out soon enough.
saberstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:41 AM   #82
Carg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Huh, I was looking for pictures of the 2008 KLR and came across what must be a photoshop job at some foreign website... Not a bad looking mod though.

Carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:54 PM   #83
MrMike
No self control

Oddometer: 786
That's the one

That looks pretty much what I saw except it was green instead of blue.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:51 PM   #84
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer: 3,974
lof fender and all?
JAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:24 PM   #85
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO
personally I'd love to have seen something like the new 650cc P-twin in the KLR frame.

Don't think I haven't thought about trying it, either. Ninja 650R motors are going for about a grand on Ebay. That would be about 65HP in a KLR frame, with a nice fat torqueband.

Anyone else drooling at the notion? :)
You mean like the Kawasaki Versys sold in Europe? See http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/Versys/?Id=3400A8FB008
There's also a model with ABS.

garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:28 PM   #86
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

yeah, except not ugly as hell. And with a dirt-oriented suspension. And actually brought to America.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:32 PM   #87
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO
yeah, except not ugly as hell. And with a dirt-oriented suspension. And actually brought to America.
Sold in the UK as "Dual Purpose." Sold in Germany as an Enduro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carg
Huh, I was looking for pictures of the 2008 KLR and came across what must be a photoshop job at some foreign website... Not a bad looking mod though.
Interesting, here's what I found:
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:03 PM   #88
yz2klr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVMax
Dood, get off of the replace everything syndrome. There are some real basic tuning mods that don't hurt at all, but it is totally unnecessary to replace all the items you've lsted. I've got just over 15,000 miles on my '04, I ride it every day - it is my "work car", it goes to the mountains in NC North GA, and TN a LOT - it gets ridden HARD.
If you just absolutely HAVE to spend all the extra money for all the foo foo stuff, that's fine. Just don't let it hurt your feelings if some old guy on a stock bike is hard for you to keep up with.

Safe for highway travel? I was running 75 - 80 up the 4 lane for 20 or so miles this morning just like I do EVERY morning. KLR's are like riding a sheet of plywood sometimes anyway. Again, all the farkles are not going to change that, it's just a big dirt bike. No more, no less.
They do wobble around a bit on the highway and in side winds - don't get a death grip on the bars, just ride the damn thing, it ain't gonna fall over.

Some simple engine tuning, proper steering head set up, proper tire pressure, proper stock suspension set up and it will work just fine, trust me.

Could not have been said better.
8200 miles on my 07, ridden in the same manner.
Ride sanely and defensively on the road and you'll be OK.
yz2klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:24 AM   #89
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

what's this proper steering head setup you guys are talking about?

I have a 98 I'm going through. Now would be a good time to find out this :)
Old 04-22-2007, 02:05 PM   #90
saberstud OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
More accurate weight for pre-2008 KLRs

All,

Anyone who thinks that the 2008 is going to be "a ton" heavier than the pre 2008 models should check out this thread.

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24666

Like I stated ealier in this thread, the stats for the 2008 and the older bikes used different standards.

Saber
saberstud is offline   Reply With Quote