User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2007, 01:08 AM   #1
murgatroid42 OP
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Collar bone protection

I know some riders who have broken collar bones when they crashed their bikes (on dirt). What's the best protection for preventing this injury? I wear a 661 pressure suit, but it has no collar bone protection. The Leatt brace may or may not work, there are differing opionions.

So far, I have not broken anything, and I want to keep it this way. Any opinions on what's the best way to prevent these injuries?
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:39 AM   #2
Thor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Collar bones are almost never broken from striking the collar bone, they are broken from sticking your arm out in front of you and trying to save yourself.

Learn how to tuck and roll and you will save yourself a lot of pain and suffering.

Google or wikipedia collarbone breaks and you will understand what I am talking about.

An direct impact that would take out your collarbone, would most likely do much more damage to your shoulder and or sternum in the end.

And, yes, I have broken my collar bone from direct impact. It baffled more than one doctor when they tried to understand how I did it without destroying my shoulder. Once I explained the protective gear I had on, they got it.

The worst broken collarbone I have ever witnessed was from a slower speed low side where the rider tried to save himself and his bike with his hand. It was ugly. Lots of pieces sticking out.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor
Collar bones are almost never broken from striking the collar bone, they are broken from sticking your arm out in front of you and trying to save yourself.

Learn how to tuck and roll and you will save yourself a lot of pain and suffering.
And sometimes broken from landing hard directly on the shoulder. One of mine is got partially dislocated at the sternum attachment from bouncing my shoulder off of a bulkhead on board ship in rough weather. It healed in a slightly different position and functions OK, but sometimes I can feel it was weakened when stuff pushes on my shoulder.

+1 on the tuck & roll. I've saved myself many injuries thanks to what I learned in HS and college phys ed classes. My hands never go out for a landing. In fact, I seem to hold the bars as long as possible to steer my body into a landing or launch attitude and keep a modicum of control over my destiny.

If you've never had any training in school, consider taking a class in tumbling or even martial arts to learn the ways to fall safely.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:34 PM   #4
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,687
Both of mine broke at separate times. In both times I hit the ground before I could even think about letting loose from the grip. I've crashed quite a few times and landed directly sideways on the shoulder without injury. In both of my recent brakes, I have landed sideways but slanted forwards such that my helmet and shoulder hit the ground at the same time.

Not sure exactly what forces are at play. I suspect a kind of folding of my shoulder, or maybe because of a hit along the front, but who knows as the crash was over in the blink of an eye and I'm laying there 20ft behind my bike LOL.

I'm changing up some things. Sticking with my Leatt because I think it is a good piece of equipment and I'm terrified of a spinal injury. New helmet, and chest protector style. These breaks are annoying. Also I'm eating lots more Calcium.
potatoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
murgatroid42 OP
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoho
...I'm changing up some things. Sticking with my Leatt because I think it is a good piece of equipment and I'm terrified of a spinal injury. New helmet, and chest protector style. These breaks are annoying. Also I'm eating lots more Calcium.
What new type of chest protector will you use?

murgatroid42 screwed with this post 04-01-2007 at 03:07 PM
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,687
The only one advertised so far for the Leatt. An HRP Flak Jak LT. Mine hasn't shipped yet so I can't vouch for it. The extra features it has for the Leatt, is that it is cut wider and also has some kind of latch system so you can put it on easier.

I have a Fox R3 chest protector and I dunno but it seems like a piece of crap that I've never worn it. Hoping this HRP is a solid kit.

There were a couple of other HRP chest protectors which looked pretty cool. You might find something. Seems reasonably priced. I was looking at the Attack Jak as something lightweight to wear under a jacket.

http://www.hrpsports.com

I still haven't figured it all out yet. I have some extra foam material I may install in some areas depending on fit.

potatoho screwed with this post 04-01-2007 at 03:43 PM
potatoho is offline   Reply With Quote