Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
MDCOA OP
Dilettante

Oddometer: 60
Bad experience w/ welding rod tool kit, 640 ADV

Hey y'all,
I not too long ago put one of the slick welding rod tool cases on my '06 ADV, reading all relevant posts and using conduit clamps around the frame rail for extra secure hanging.

I positioned the welding rod container as far outboard as possible, to reduce chances of fouling the rear tire (still running Saharas).

I was riding some trails near me the other day when suddenly I came to a stop. I tried giving it some gas--no dice. So I looked back and saw that my chain had come off--"wtf!?," think I.

I push the bike off the trail, which took a LOT of effort. Once there I realized why it was so tough to push off--my rear wheel was locked in place by, um, my toolkit.

I've heard stories of the stock LC4 (not-NA street legal versions) toolkits falling off, but this was diifferent.

The rear stress of riding apparently bent the toolkit down into a pretty much vertical position, which allowed the outer lugs of the tire to snag the rear clamp. Which broke the clamp at the top bend, allowing the kit to sag. As it did this it got in a losing fight with the tire and chain, losing its head and spilling its guts, so to speak.

Fortunately I was a) offroad, b) going slowly, and c) on sand when this happened. No harm to me or bike, really. Most of my tools were still in the remnants of their bags and I plucked them from the spokes (fortunately undamaged), retraced my steps to retrieve my tire irons and a few other bits, and then put the chain back on. And then I rode home.

So no disaster at all (one very minimally chipped sprocket tooth, but I'm about due for new chain and sprockets anyway), but I just wanted to let folks know that this is a danger. I was worried about it from square one, but figured everyone else was running 'em, so there must be clearance.

Of course, there's always the possibility that I somehow mounted mine differently from everyone else, but I think it was about as out of the way as it can be . . . and I'm a little amazed that I haven't seen other reports of disaster. It's not like I was going 100mph over insane terrain, either . . . I probably didn't even bottom out.

Here's the carnage.

Signed,
Scared of rear toolcases in NC
Attached Images

MDCOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
KTMax m AL
Fagarwe tribal member AL

Oddometer: 303
Eek

WOW
I got one of those rod holders (ugly color) a week ago but have not tried to install it yet. Thanks for the heads up on the possible mounting problems
with resulting damage.
KTMax m AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:35 PM   #3
MDCOA OP
Dilettante

Yeah, it could've been way worse--final disintegration could've happened on pavement, which could well have resulted in broken spokes, ruined tools, dumped bike, and injured me.

Maybe the system works great if you put almost no weight in there. I had stock tool kit, three little tire irons (two of which were magnesium), a teensy multimeter, a tube patch kit, and a teensy petzl zipka headlamp in there. Probably about 5 lbs. of stuff, all told. Maybe just too much weight for the flexible little hoops that hold the charcoal canister.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:06 PM   #4
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
I have a promoto billet rack. I attached my to the rack support arm with 4 clamps. It is way away from the tire and seems to be working great.
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:51 PM   #5
MDCOA OP
Dilettante

Got a picture? That sounds interesting. The welding rod container was certainly the right size for what I wanted to carry . . .
Old 03-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by William.Rice
Hey y'all,
I not too long ago put one of the slick welding rod tool cases on my '06 ADV, reading all relevant posts and using conduit clamps around the frame rail for extra secure hanging.

I positioned the welding rod container as far outboard as possible, to reduce chances of fouling the rear tire (still running Saharas).

Hey I missed something! I must have a life...

So, sorry to hear about the trouble, and I am sorry to hear that the conduit clamps did not hold... Did the conduit clamps break? Sorry I can't see the pic anymore. My first guess would be the hardware came loose and let go.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:28 AM   #7
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,716
i've been pushing this since 2003! do not under any circumstance mount a tool kit (of any kind) in the rear fender well of an lc4! every single one i have heard of has come loose or off after a period of time. my own factory kit came loose, then i made stronger stainless brackets and put a better one on... it came off on a main road... luckily i was at speed so the bike pushed for a while before locking up the rear wheel. i was not hurt and only a small amount of damage to my wheel, fender and tire.

if you have to hold a tire iron and big ass tools do it the klr way and strap the welding rod tube to the front end of your skid plate... when it falls off you just ride over it!

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:53 AM   #8
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Hey loaded
Old 03-11-2009, 09:00 AM   #9
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,310
What is this... old guys and old threads day?
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #10
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadedagain
i've been pushing this since 2003! do not under any circumstance mount a tool kit (of any kind) in the rear fender well of an lc4! every single one i have heard of has come loose or off after a period of time. my own factory kit came loose, then i made stronger stainless brackets and put a better one on... it came off on a main road... luckily i was at speed so the bike pushed for a while before locking up the rear wheel. i was not hurt and only a small amount of damage to my wheel, fender and tire.

if you have to hold a tire iron and big ass tools do it the klr way and strap the welding rod tube to the front end of your skid plate... when it falls off you just ride over it!
The front of the underside of the engine is a terrible place to mount a big plastic tube as well, they can shatter from rocks and width is the last thing you want to add on a dirt oriented motorcycle,big ruts become big traps.A friend had one on his KLR, it shattered quickly from a rock hitting it and tools went flying everywhere.Granted most people never ride these big pigs in the dirt enough to matter but this is my two cents worth.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:26 AM   #11
Loadedagain
making chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
The front of the underside of the engine is a terrible place to mount a big plastic tube as well, they can shatter from rocks and width is the last thing you want to add on a dirt oriented motorcycle,big ruts become big traps.A friend had one on his KLR, it shattered quickly from a rock hitting it and tools went flying everywhere.Granted most people never ride these big pigs in the dirt enough to matter but this is my two cents worth.
absolutely! there are way better ways to store tools. my point is if you are dead set on using one of those fucking welding rod tubes your safest bet is to mount it up front. i'd rather sacrifice my tools than my carcass!

ultimately the welding rod tube should be left at home to store welding rods!

Old 03-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #12
djchan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
I've toyed with the idea of one of those up front - maybe using the tool rod as I would highway pegs on the KLR. Unfortunately, mounts to make them solid enough for a footrest may make it hard to breakaway in case of impact and end up hurting something more important.

I couldn't find a way to make it solid enough in the rear and abandoned that idea as well.
djchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #13
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
What is this... old guys and old threads day?
I was looking for threads with LC4s in deep sand, and came across this... :wtf

I was so glad that I had missed something I got excited enough to realize I should ask just how the adel clamps failed, allowing his stick electrode holder tube to lodge itself between the swingarm and rear wheel.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:45 PM   #14
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,829
Having read about the welding rod tool carrier on this site I went out and bought one, installed it, and rode happily ever after knowing I had sufficient tools on board to deal with typical issues (flats, loose fasteners, blown fuses and bulbs, broken levers, etc). No big pliers, heavy wrenches or anything. It all fit into the little blue KTM tool bag except for a couple compact tire levers and spare clutch and shift levers.

Life was sweet until the thing fell off when the clamp broke on a trail ride. As I see it, the problem is that any tool box in that location is not hung directly under the subframe but is offset. Riding puts bending forces on the mounts and it is bound to fail eventually.

I am still looking for plan B since I don't like the idea of falling on tools strapped to my body in a pack or having to always wear a pack, even for short erands. You just neve know when you are going to pick up a nail in a tire. I don't always have a tank bag on the bike and there just isn't another place on the LC4 to stash simple tools. Must think!
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #15
Loadedagain
making chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk
I am still looking for plan B
i used the factory tool kit with bare essentials and put it under my seat. weld a washer (on its side) to the seat bolt so you can remove it by hand!