User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
Bruce Caldwell OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,016
turning brake rotors ?

Can M/C brake rotors (1100GS rear in this case) be turned, for example, at an auto parts store? You know, the ones that say "we turn drums & rotors". Or does it have to be done by a speciaty shop?

Guaranteed not to cause eternal torment in the place where the guy with the horns & pointed stick conducts his business...Frank Zappa
Bruce Caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,969
I would guess that you can't do it at all. Motorcycle brake discs (rotors) are much thinner than car ones. I suspect taking any meat off them to resurface them would take them below the service spec. thickness.
Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:05 PM   #3
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,865

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Caldwell
Can M/C brake rotors (1100GS rear in this case) be turned, for example, at an auto parts store? You know, the ones that say "we turn drums & rotors". Or does it have to be done by a speciaty shop?
Have them ground at a shop that resurfaces flywheels.

Figure a way to fixture them, maybe t-slot clamp from inside the 'circle', depending on work table on the equipment the shop has.

Be sure the operator verifies with a dial gauge that the rotor is fixtured 'flat' before grinding. Especially on the second surface.

- Jim

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:14 AM   #4
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,271
Why do you feel the rotors need to be turned?

Just asking.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:44 PM   #5
no5s
Terror at 2 mph

Oddometer: 334
Rotors

I tried to surface grind the rotors on my 1150GS. We tried a "dust off" less than .001 with coolant. Both rotors turned into potato chip like shapes. Never seen any metal warp so drasticaly. Had to buy new. I did straighten my VFR rotor with a crescent wrench and an indicator,to get close then a few raps with a wooden dowel and hammer. Good luck.
65 Triumph TR6 Desert Sled
65 Triumph T100SC TT Bike
no5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:53 PM   #6
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by no5s
I tried to surface grind the rotors on my 1150GS.
What sort of machine was used?

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 04-07-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
no5s
Terror at 2 mph

Oddometer: 334
Rotors

Large wet surface grinder at our machine shop. Wet table moves under a fixed grinding wheel.
65 Triumph TR6 Desert Sled
65 Triumph T100SC TT Bike
no5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 03:39 PM   #8
Poolside
Syndicated

A rotary or blanchard grind can make a little difference but, how was the part clamped to the surface grinder table?

Old 04-08-2007, 11:54 AM   #9
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,348
magnetic table would be my guess. In that application you would need to do both sides equally and back and forth, to help minimize warping. Brake rotors have tons of stress built up from heating and cooling cycles. When you remove surface material, the stress has to go somewhere, hence the warpage. The same with machining many non-ferrous materials. Just take a thin cut off one side of a flat bar of brass, and watch it curl when you release it!
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:03 PM   #10
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman
magnetic table would be my guess. In that application you would need to do both sides equally and back and forth, to help minimize warping. Brake rotors have tons of stress built up from heating and cooling cycles. When you remove surface material, the stress has to go somewhere, hence the warpage. The same with machining many non-ferrous materials. Just take a thin cut off one side of a flat bar of brass, and watch it curl when you release it!
Linear grinding creates linear stress on the surface. Sort of 'elastic galling' say. The circular path of a Blanchard stone, and more importantly the rotation of the part under the stone, equalizes that stress.

Poolside screwed with this post 04-14-2007 at 10:46 PM
Old 04-12-2007, 07:37 PM   #11
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Caldwell
I don' think its worth your time. After they are turned the metal will be uneven thickness and because of they're miniscule width they will tend to warp faster.

Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote