User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2007, 03:32 PM   #1
franken OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Bavaria - Austria - the second strike

Hi all, here's is our second tour -- Plansee - Namlos - Lech - Thannheimer Tal - Füssen

Like always heres the .gpx for download
Plansee.gpx

This tour is dedicated to my uncle Alfred who died 4 days ago. He traveld with me when i was a child. He showed me the alps. RIP - Alf.

I remember, when I was 8 years old, we drove with our little beatle down to Garmisch. After Munich when you come close to where I life now, you can see the alps for the first time. "schau amol, die Berch! die Berch, su huch und su schee" (Translation for the germans not familar to franconian dialekt: "Schau die Berge. Die Berge, so hoch und so schön". English version: Look - the mountains, the mountains - so high - so nice")

This tour starts near highway-exit Penzberg Süd (Sindelsdorf). (You can go on the highway down to it's end - but this is boring).
First following a small road near the highway. First stop at Großweil. Here we cross the river Loisach.

The Loisach

At Großweil we take the road right direction Murnau. Before Murnau left. A great view to the Zugspitze (germans highest rock) you will get here when you have good weather. The road ends where even the highway to Garmisch ends. We don't go all the way down to Garmisch. In Oberau we turn right and up it goes. Serpentines and nice curves uphill - very nice. Next stop is Ettal. Here you find a Monastery.

Ettal

Take your time to have a look, but think - more to come. 2 km behind Ettal the next highlight - The road to the Plansee. (also known as Ammersattel). You follow an valley which is easy to ride at the beginning. Don't forget to stop at "Schloß Linderhof". See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linderhof.

Near Linderhof

You can see the parking of Linderhof Palace. But you would like more to see this. :-)

Now the road will be much smaller. Be careful with the traffic on it. The road follows the river, the valley gets smaller and smaller. Hungry? A good restaurant is near that road, after you crossed the border to Austria. (you guys know that we have no borders in Europe - only a sign, that you are in a differend country now).

Some interesting km later - you reach the Plansee. I like this lake so much. Clear blue water, Mountains and Curves. Here some impressions.

the parking

the lake

more lake

And FYYFF's -- A Salut to ADV

Next km the road follows the lake and then went down to Imst. Here we have to go on teh main road to Reutte. A heavy crowded road which leads to the Fernpass. This is a main road for the tourists. We have to take this road for some km, just to reach the next target. "Namlos" - Mountain road.

At the beginning also easy to ride. Up, with ski-resort visible on left and right.

Namlos beginning

more

From this point the road goes down, and then we have to take the road on the right to Namlos itself. (it's a small town near the road). Here the fun beginns. CURVES - yeah.

Impressions:

more

At the end, the road goes down to the Lech-valley. Normaly we turn left and go to the Hantenjoch to reach Imst. But at this time of the year the Hantenjoch is closed for traffic, because of snow. So we went right and follow the Lech-river.

A little lake near the lech

A horse with no name

Lech-valley-mountains

The Lech himself

Enough valley riding - Up - up we have to go, and up we go to the Thannheimer Tal. Curves - what else. After a while we are up and the next point we stop is the next little lake near the road.

Thannheimer Tal

zoomed

Again it started to get cold - Tina was freezing - so we went down to Pfronten and on to Füssen. Short after passing the "border" you will find this.

Lechfall

The Lech river goes through some rocks - and belive me - the Lech is this blue

something to read

and one more look

Füssen? wtf was in Füssen - yes - close to Füssen -- Kings Castel - Neuschwanstein. See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuschwanstein

So guys - if you want to meet tons of italiean, japanees, american and german and many more tourist - take a look here.

This is like it looks like on easter-saturday afternoon

2 PS

the way out

Neuschwanstein

better view they have

zoom again - Kings Castel

the "background"

Now a fast road takes us along a lake up to Steingaden. Here we turn right. All the way along to your right you have the panorama of the alps. We didn't stop at the Wieskirche (a famous church) because my girl was still freezing. Next stop was near a bridge over the river Ammer.

to read

This is saying that -- the road here was so steep, before the bridge was build. Because of that, some cars only reached the top when they get pulled by horses and ox. - - hard times :-)

the look down

get him on the bridge

info about the bridge

and under the bridge

Still fast on the road we moved on to Murnau and back home. This tour ends where it has began. At the highway Munich to Garmisch.

Hope you have enjoyed our secound report of this area. If - some more to come.
btw.: fist one you find here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218135

Have fun
Bettina and Andreas + the KTM
1990 Honda Dominator - gone
1985 Kawa GPX 750 R - gone
1981 Kawa Z 550 - crashed and gone
franken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:15 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,850
Another one of your great pictorial reports!! Fantastic

Thanks for sharing