Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2007, 08:41 PM   #31
Genghis Swan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
I carry this on my dirt bike and the big dual sport and I have used it countless times. Most memorable was when we fixed a broken gear shift lever with it and the fix lasted for two months until we replaced it with a new part. The fixed part never did break.
Genghis Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:40 PM   #32
Raphy
Adventurer, eh?

Oddometer: 275
Looks like a good item to use on a Fenda Extenda (which i will order soon) instead of drilling through the actual fron fender of your bike... woo hoo!!!

RAPH NOGAL PHOTOGRAPHY
Raphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:21 AM   #33
Prodigium
Ad Astra

Oddometer: 109
Nuclear JB

In the Navy we used JB for all kinds of uses, even to repair valves in the reactors piping systems. I've used it successfully to repair radiators, one still going strong after 5 years. It is great stuff.
Prodigium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:42 PM   #34
AZstrommer
Long may she wave!

Oddometer: 964
JB Weld and gas

Hey Inmates!

I just pulled a dumb one. I was using my dremel to grind a notch in a stuck/buggered float bowl screw and accidently ground a small hole in the float bowl! Next time I'll wear my damn glasses!

Think JB weld would work to seal the hole? I put some on the outside and a dab on the inside too in order to make it seal from both sides. Will the JB hold up in the float bowl?

Thanks!
Four-eyes AZ
AZstrommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #35
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Oddometer: 4,479
The white gunk on the radiator is an Aquamend patch, it's the epoxy stick type putty, which worked perfectly to fix the hole in said radiator.

This happened 50 some miles from Tok, AK, on the Taylor Highway, which is a long damn walk to the nearest Wal_Mart. About 350 miles to the nearest Wal Mart, in fact. Not only did the stuff hold all the way back home, it was a slut to get off when it was time to get the radiator professionally repaired. In reality, I could have left it just like it was.
HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

Only dead fish go with the flow.
KL5A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #36
harnois
new to you

Oddometer: 122
I've never used JB Weld to repair anything and I'd like to know something about using it for trail-side repairs. You guys using it to repair busted engine cases or radiators, how long are you waiting to ride again? Seem like even the "kwik" stuff requires hours of drying time. ?

Thanks!
harnois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:02 PM   #37
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,968
Duct tape in a tube...never leave home without it.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:42 AM   #38
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by harnois
I've never used JB Weld to repair anything and I'd like to know something about using it for trail-side repairs. You guys using it to repair busted engine cases or radiators, how long are you waiting to ride again? Seem like even the "kwik" stuff requires hours of drying time. ?

Thanks!

JB Quik sets up pretty hard in about 5 minutes, and I wouldn't hesitate to put it to use in about a half-hour.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #39
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,231
JB Stik after a rock encounter to the valve cover. Worked great.

ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:30 AM   #40
Jef Miller
he broke it again

Oddometer: 46
Do you think JB Weld can fix this?

Hey gang, got a fix for you:

The valve head cover bolts on the KLR are prone to stripping out/cross threading/etc. Sure enough, I stripped one. The repair is to heli coil it, which, sure enough, I put in crooked:

So I removed the cylinder head from the bike. I need to make this:

Work like this:

The plan is to remove the helicoil and drill out the hole a little bit. Then I can either take it to a weld shop and have them fill it with Al, or I can fill it with JB weld, put a helicoil in it and hopefully be done.

What do you think? I've JB'd before, but nothing that was threaded. I figure putting a coil in it would help it last.

PS I made a test with JB weld in Al pipe to try drilling/coiling after lunch
Jef Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:57 AM   #41
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
the liquid stuff sucks when stored with other tools....
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #42
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jef Miller
Hey gang, got a fix for you:

The valve head cover bolts on the KLR are prone to stripping out/cross threading/etc. Sure enough, I stripped one. The repair is to heli coil it, which, sure enough, I put in crooked:

So I removed the cylinder head from the bike. I need to make this:

Work like this:

The plan is to remove the helicoil and drill out the hole a little bit. Then I can either take it to a weld shop and have them fill it with Al, or I can fill it with JB weld, put a helicoil in it and hopefully be done.

What do you think? I've JB'd before, but nothing that was threaded. I figure putting a coil in it would help it last.

PS I made a test with JB weld in Al pipe to try drilling/coiling after lunch
You need a TIMESERT

http://www.timesert.com/

A perfect application timesert, safer and cheaper than welding and retap. Timesert will be stronger than the original threads.
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:03 PM   #43
Jef Miller
he broke it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by showkey
You need a TIMESERT
http://www.timesert.com/
A perfect application timesert, safer and cheaper than welding and retap. Timesert will be stronger than the original threads.
Those look cool
Videos watched, faq's read and bookmarked !
I'd still need to redrill or enlarge the hole, because it's crooked. Then I could use a "bigsert". I'm not sure if there will be enough base metal left to be strong for the cold-roll thing the Timeserts seem to do. There's already a possible crack in it and that's just from the helicoil racket :/
Old 09-27-2009, 09:43 PM   #44
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,131
If the threads of the Heli-coil are strong why don't you just grind the shoulder of the cover a little bit to match the screw. After all, it is a KLR . Actually I once had a similar situation, and did just what I described. It worked out just fine.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:50 AM   #45
Jef Miller
he broke it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket
If the threads of the Heli-coil are strong why don't you just grind the shoulder of the cover a little bit to match the screw. After all, it is a KLR . Actually I once had a similar situation, and did just what I described. It worked out just fine.
Sounds good to me. Reminds me of an idea I had to modify the rubber washer with a belt sander. Your idea's better though, I'll post how it goes.