User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2014, 05:56 AM   #1
Miket9876 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Dead Dashboard??

Went to ride my '12 990 adventure yesterday... and the dashboard is completely dead.

The backlight comes on, and the ABS light, but that's it. No self check, no tach reading, nothing. The bike still starts and runs great.

This winter it did get the battery drained, twice. Sat in a -20F garage for a few months. I didn't replace the battery, just put it on a trickle charger for a while and it's been fine.

First time I rode this season the dash went out on me, but I pulled over, shut off the bike, and when I started it back up everything was good to go. The only other thing I can think of is I rode through some pretty heavy rain a couple of days ago.

Any thoughts on how I might fix the dash? Do I need a new instrument cluster?
Miket9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:14 AM   #2
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,373
Ck your fuses. Something like this happened to me when we accidentally shorted one of the acc taps.

SA
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:33 AM   #3
Miket9876 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I did just wire in a GPS to ACC2, but it still works and has been wired in for a couple of weeks. Fuses look fine to me. I even replaced ACC1/Clock fuse even though it was not blown.
Miket9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:25 AM   #4
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
Happened to me once after I (stoopidly) used a pressure washer on the dash. Came back when it dried out.
? get some di-electric grease on the connections.
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
squadraquota
mostly harmless

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miket9876 View Post
Went to ride my '12 990 adventure yesterday... and the dashboard is completely dead.

The backlight comes on, and the ABS light, but that's it. No self check, no tach reading, nothing. The bike still starts and runs great.

This winter it did get the battery drained, twice. Sat in a -20F garage for a few months. I didn't replace the battery, just put it on a trickle charger for a while and it's been fine.

First time I rode this season the dash went out on me, but I pulled over, shut off the bike, and when I started it back up everything was good to go. The only other thing I can think of is I rode through some pretty heavy rain a couple of days ago.

Any thoughts on how I might fix the dash? Do I need a new instrument cluster?
This happened to me twice..... ('12 990). First time only the speedo failed, control lights still worked. Dash was replaced under warranty. Half a year later it failed again, just like on your bike only the ABS light worked.

Of course all obvious things were checked, to no avail. So, again a new dash. My dealer noticed the last dash had a new part number, so maybe KTM updated it.

Apparently the print plates are a bit weak, they tend to come loose. We openend the failing dash, pressed the print firmly in position. After that it worked for a short while before failing completely.

So, my guess is you too need a new dash
squadraquota is offline   Reply With Quote