Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2007, 08:10 PM   #61
sethro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch
I have my black tank (they were already out of natural) but am mounting new petcocks in the rear so I can still switch to my stock tank if I want too. (for riding with those silly KTM EXCs with the little tank) I'll post a pic when it's mounted probably this weekend.
Mark, my garage looks worse without the "classic" parts collection. I just have a lot of junk.
Wendell
I think the pic. is here now
sweet tank, me wants black 2

Sethro
Flagstaff AZ 928-600-6768
www.tecrehab.com
sethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:58 AM   #62
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,700
Quote:
Thanks for the pic, Wendell!!! My tank is supposed to be here tuesday.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:10 AM   #63
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Do you take the 2x4 riding with you?

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"
>Thumper's mom?

I had to get a grey one. Still waiting

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:08 AM   #64
ronsolo
Hooplehead

Oddometer: 826
The black looks great. Thanks for the pict.

What are these tanks going for? IMS did not have prices listed last I checked.
ronsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:06 AM   #65
buffallodan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag
The black looks great. Thanks for the pict.

What are these tanks going for? IMS did not have prices listed last I checked.
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:12 AM   #66
ronsolo
Hooplehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffallodan
GET OUT!

Why am I waiting I thought they would be like $400+

So guy's I'm new to this but learning. Is Hall's the only place to get these and...what does one need to do in case you want to put your smaller tank back on sometimes. Is it a big hassle or even worth it?
Old 04-21-2007, 09:48 AM   #67
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,027
I usually look for a big rock when I'm riding. I need to get off my butt and modify the kick stand like bigdogadventures did.

The price on the tanks is $225 which includes shipping and the extra petcocks you will need, but you also have to use the stock petcocks for a total of four. I am purchasing extra petcocks so as to leave my stock tank available to reinstall with no hassles.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:30 PM   #68
edeslaur
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
Snapped a tank locating nipple - screwed? ;-)

My clear tank came in and I'm installing it. I tried "flexing" one of the studs over a bit and it snapped off. Duh, it's aluminum.

Do I care (is it worth the effort of taking everything off to TIG it back on)?

Is it even a necessary item?

Thanks!
Eric D
06 TE610
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:55 PM   #69
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 878
Wtf?!?!

I just got my black tank in and no gas cap!

says the cap is part of the kit... gotta call Hall's in the mornin'...
Old 04-23-2007, 11:08 PM   #70
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
My installation

I put the new tank on tonight and it went rather well. The only problem I had was that the locator holes did not line up with the locator tits. The were off by 1/4". I smacked one of the tits around with a hammer first and that didn't work, so I put a pipe on it and tried to bend it into submission and it snapped off. Oh well, who needs two tits anyway?

First, ya gotta take the decorative bits off.

Drain the gas. Of course I had just filled it up. Good thing my 640 was thirsty.

Taking off the tank, taking off the tank

Don't forget the little hidden vent line at the front

And don't forget to unplug to low fuel connection. Lift the tank up a bit to get to it.

It looks like a monster, but it integrates rather well.

It's a direct swap of the petcocks from the original tank to the new one.

On mine, the holes for the aux petcocks weren't cleanly drilled out, compounded by out of round petcocks. If you force the new petcocks in, you will crush the hashpipe screen.

So ream it out a little. I used a J drill bit.

Don't even forget to wrap the new, screw-in petcocks in teflon tape. And be careful screwing them in. It seems to be pretty easy to cross-thread them.

One nippleless titty.

Route the left side hose carefully. I used green zip-ties because it goes so well with the rest of the color scheme

Routing on the right side. Zip-tied to the radiator hose (ahh crap, I forgot to use a pink one ).

Don't forget to screw in the nipple and connect the one-way vent line.

Somewhere along the way I bolted the blue plastic back on. Anyway, except for the locator pins and trying to make the tank fit, this was really a quick job and easy to do. I pumped about 5 gallons in at the gas station on top of some left over gas in the gas can. I don't really notice the extra weight as it's down low (but then again, I'm used to the 6.7 gallons on the KTM).

Don't mind the street tires, this bike is taking a trip to Sandy Eggo.

drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:36 AM   #71
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,700
I got my black 5.0 tank a day early!! I'll try to get it put on today sometime.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:01 AM   #72
Xfool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
For those that haven’t seen this Halls has a couple of shots of a 5 gallon tank installed on a SM610. They show the fuel line routing to the four petcocks. They don’t show any shots of the mounting studs so its hard to say if the tank is mounted tit-less or if the posts were ground.
Xfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:44 AM   #73
ronsolo
Hooplehead

Thanks for the splainin and pics drrags. I was wondering how involved this would be and I was wondering about all that petcock stuff. Snapping off one's nipples appears to be rather traumatic though. Don't know if I'm up for that.

One more thing. I'd like the option of being able to switch back to my stock tank if I wanted. Basically, order another set of petcocks? Is that all? I'm learning...slowly.

ronsolo screwed with this post 04-24-2007 at 07:27 AM
Old 04-24-2007, 08:24 AM   #74
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
I think it would be a little more involved because I cut the stock fuel line as part of the installation, so I think you would need:
*the stock right-hand petcock with the low fuel sensor
*the left petcock
*the upper front vent nipple
*the stock length hoses
then you would probably want to plug the new lines so they don't collect dirt, or remove them completely. It wouldn't be a big deal at all, but not as simple as a quick remove-and-replace.

I'd say it's a 10-minute procedure - after you've done it once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag
Thanks for the splainin and pics drrags. I was wondering how involved this would be and I was wondering about all that petcock stuff. Snapping off one's nipples appears to be rather traumatic though. Don't know if I'm up for that.

One more thing. I'd like the option of being able to switch back to my stock tank if I wanted. Basically, order another set of petcocks? Is that all? I'm learning...slowly.
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:01 AM   #75
jarthur
Old Desert Rat

Oddometer: 229
IMS 5 Gallon Tank

I got a black one a few days ago. The wait since last Fall has been difficult, but worthwhile. I think IMS did a great job of creating capacity while staying true to the aethetics of the bike.

I appeciate the installation hints so far. First thing, I threw my hammer over the fence as I firmly believe two tits are better than one.

I have not installed it completely so here are my meager observations so far. The Unabiker radiator guards will not work with this tank. Too little clearance. I have an IMS petcocok for a DR 650 and the bolt spacing is the same for the Husky. Soo, I plan to use two IMS petcocks so I can swap the stock tank easily. The IMS petcock also has a reserve position if that is of interest.

Someone suggested a spacer between the tank and radiator. This seems to be required on the right side as the head of a bolt for the fan bracket protrudes from the side of the radiator. Now I do realize we adventure riders never take a tumble, but friends who borrow our bikes certainly do. Me? I flatten tires and give them their bikes back, observing it did not handle very well. A fall to the right, which I know none of us ever do, may cause that bolt head to puncture, crack or cause other mischief to the tank. Also, I expect the bolt head will chafe the inside of the lower right lobe of the tank if not addressed in some manner. A stroll through the hardware store for spacers is next while I wait for the second IMS petcock and gaskets to arrive.

Whew, typing this has caused immeasurable anxiety and stress which only can be addressed by a shot of Don Julio 1942.

Cheers,

Jack
jarthur is offline   Reply With Quote