User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2007, 06:12 AM   #76
Xfool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Jack:

There are two Phillips head screws from the radiator shrouds, like the ones that hold the blue (red) tank fairing on. Those screws are the same length as the hex bolts for the fan mount. I used those Phillips head screws to replace the hex bolts.

Yea, I never drop my bike either…… just worried about vibrations burrowing those hex bolts through the tank lobe.

BTW the stud spacing on my black tank was perfect.
Xfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:03 PM   #77
Fred
Banned

Oddometer: 1,051
Just installed my black tank on my 07. I'm almost now glad that Halls were out of the natural ones.

I took a round file to the mounting holes for the studs on the frame and then everything slotted right in. Good job IMS and Hall's!!
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:44 AM   #78
edeslaur
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
Thumb

After appx 1400 miles from Vancouver, WA to San Diego, the *long* way, I can definitely say the IMS tank is worth its weight in gold! FULL!

My brother and I rode down (story and pics coming in appropriate forum later), me on a new-to-me '04 BMW R1100S and him on a new-to-me '06 TE610. We took 101 and 1 almost the whole way, and had way too much fun. Yes, on the factory seat.

At one point, the TE pulled 204 miles and had an estimated 0.6 gallons left in the tank (onroad, +5 tooth rear sprocket over stock, rolling appx 70-75, but it's down 101 and 1, so curves everywhere). The BMW was, umm, empty. Waaay empty. 4.6+ gallons in a 4.7 gallon tank. Yeee-hawww!!

I was very skeptical about the clear tank, but it actually looks good with the blue panels. It grew on me very, very quickly.

Even better - when the low fuel light would come on for the R1100S (150ish miles), I would pull up next to him to see how much fuel he had, then judge how far I could go before I had to get gas (lack of fuel gauges sux). BTW, that's around when the low light comes on for the TE as well with the tank. I have mixed feelings about having that big a reserve - almost 2 gallons. Good and not good since I know I'm going to ignore it at my peril some day.

OTOH, having a reserve that's almost as big as the factory tank is plain awesome! Without the IMS tank (thanks HALL!!!!!!!!!!!!) we would have had to stop every 100-120 miles or so with the Husky's stock tank! Yikes!!!
It is SOOO cool to be able to see how much fuel you have left. I'm a total convert.

I'll list the "mechanical" problems experienced when I post the trip. Let's just say none of them were problematic enough to stop us. Once we figured out they weren't problems! Except for that darn turn signal melting!

Eric D
06 TE610

edeslaur screwed with this post 04-30-2007 at 10:50 AM
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:39 AM   #79
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Awesome! I'm glad you made it (apparently). Send me the trip report link and I'll add the pics I took, too. Did you make your brother ride the Husky the whole way?
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:33 PM   #80
edeslaur
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
Make? I couldn't make him ride the BMW!

Towards the end "it's like I'm on a mission" was his comment. Darn impressive!
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:11 AM   #81
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,351
Bought the 4.3 Gray

Put the 4.3 Gray tank on, Looks great and very easy install,

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:19 AM   #82
ronsolo
Hooplehead

Oddometer: 826
Any idears what range people are getting with the 4.3? It looks good though.
ronsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:04 AM   #83
RLCanon
Adventure Arrrrr!

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
Put the 4.3 Gray tank on, Looks great
That does look good! What's the story on the gas cap? It looks like the stock cap or am I missing something?
RLCanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:13 AM   #84
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,056
The 4.3's use the stock locking cap, the 5 gallon tanks use the typical IMS thread on cap

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:39 AM   #85
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag
Any idea's what range people are getting with the 4.3? It looks good though.
25% more gas = 25% more range, I only get about 35mpg, Some people say they get 50mpg, I wish, too much fun on the gas, I was scared to go 100 miles, not any more, yeah! Just what I needed.
The 5 gallon was just a little too much bulk for me, plus I liked the fact that the 4.3 used the stock locking gas cap, and was available in Gray.( I was told that the 5 gallon will be offered in gray soon) I called IMS and they said they are only making the 5 gallon tank, so I guess no more 4.3's????

rwamf homepage
Old 05-01-2007, 12:13 PM   #86
ronsolo
Hooplehead

I just called and ordered a gray 5 gallon. They said they had recently come in.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:23 PM   #87
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
The grey looks factory, nice! So, is the chainsaw for cutting trails or cutting your way through traffic? Sorta like DOOM
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:48 PM   #88
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags
The grey looks factory, nice! So, is the chainsaw for cutting trails or cutting your way through traffic? Sorta like DOOM
We don't have any traffic out here in them thar hills, It is just for trail maint. It is a must this time of year, all the trails seem to have trees down.

rwamf homepage
Old 05-01-2007, 04:21 PM   #89
ronsolo
Hooplehead

Just in case anyone was wondering.

1 gallon of gas is about 6.1 pounds depending on temperature. So 9 pounds or so more is not too bad for the increased range which I'm guessing is something like 60 more miles over the stock tank.

Someone double check me. Been staring at a computer all day and need some food. :)
Old 05-08-2007, 12:16 AM   #90
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
Fits like shit on a stick

Ok my Husky brethren here it is, my point of view on the IMS tank:
The first thing you notice is there's only one vent opening so I don't think this will work with the stock emissions crap. I guess that's why it says for competition use only.

On first try the thing didn't fit as many have pointed out. The two large pins at the rear are misplaced. The front slot (where the bolt near the tank goes) wasn't even wide enough to fit the pin. I reamed out the front slot enough to fit the pin & found one of the rear pin Holes was offset a little over 1/4" front to rear. I compensated for this by reaming the slot a little & both rear pin locations one at the front & one at the rear to remove as little material as possible to fix the trangulation & got it to pop on. At this point I noticed the tank wouldn't seat on the rear pins fully. The IMS tank has a rear hole depth of 12mm where the stock tank holes are 20mm. (the pins as stock are 14mm to the rubber washers) I wouldn't trust this over time not to poke thru so I compensated by adding some old radiator washers I had laying around. Here you can see one vs the stock washer:

Here you can see the tank does not fit centered on the bike:

I don't think I'll worry about the fan bracket bolt as some have mentioned. The tank contacts the bracket (at the rear) so in a crash or thru vibration this is where the damage will be:

After getting the tank to fit on the bike I added gas until the low fuel light went out. This was just above the ring on the sensor. I then drained out all the gas measuring the amounts & here is what I found (check my math):
From low fuel light to empty on the first 2 (stock) petcocks: 4qts,26oz or 1.148 gallons
From empty on the first 2 petcocks the right lobe had 1qt,10oz; the left lobe had 1qt,12oz.
This brought the total reserve to 1.82 gallons from the time the low fuel light comes on.

I had some humming bird company while I was measuring this:

After draining the tank I added gas 1 qt at a time. After 4.5 gallons I was filling my measurement bottle & the bike couldn't handle all that weight & fell over spilling about a gallon and a half all over the garage floor & my feet as I picked it back up. I think I'll go with Big Dogs numbers as it looked pretty full at 4.5. I think his numbers are about right if the bike's upright but might be a bit less on the kick stand. (I had it teetered on an atv jack just enough to keep it vertical for measurement)
After all was said and done I went to put my seat back on & found it didn't fit any more. The tank is set back about 1/4" (the same amount as the rear pins are off). This makes the rear dzus fastener a bitch to engage. I got it to work by putting pressure on the middle of the seat to get the bottom hooks to engage but it's under a lot of pressure. I'm undecided if I want to keep this & risk my seat breaking or send it back. Here you can see how far the tank is pulled back & how far off the dzus fastener is with the seat pushed fully forward:

On other note I have to question IMS's (or mine) understanding of the laws of physics. If the front petcocks are lower than the carb inlet, how does the fuel flow? Using an eyeball level I measured the right lobe to be 1/2" too low & the left 1" too low:

Here's some visuals of the before & after:

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.

Hoder screwed with this post 05-08-2007 at 12:32 AM
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote