Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2007, 06:35 AM   #91
ronsolo
Hooplehead

Oddometer: 826
Hmmm, it looks pretty dang good in grey with our blue/yellow. My grey one just arrived yesterday. I'm not to pleased to here of all the problems with fitment though. Dang.

I guess I'll see how it fits & sits before I remove all the bits. <-- I made a rhyme.
ronsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:59 AM   #92
levity
nano-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
Eh? similar issues with the "4.3 gal" tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
Put the 4.3 Gray tank on, Looks great and very easy install,
Glad it went smoothy for ya, rwamf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoder
...my point of view on the IMS tank: ... I'm undecided if I want to keep this ... or send it back....
I spent an afternoon this weekend wrestling with a 4.3 gal tank on my '07.
Encountered the same problems Hoder describes with the 5 gal tank plus poor alignment of the plastic panels.
Did IMS use a salvage titled bike for measurements?

I'll post a report as soon as I get some pics and measure capacity.

Quote:
...On other note I have to question IMS's (or mine) understanding of the laws of physics. If the front petcocks are lower than the carb inlet, how does the fuel flow? Using an eyeball level I measured the right lobe to be 1/2" too low & the left 1" too low....
Guess you'll just have to wheelie it for the last half gallon!
levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:39 AM   #93
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Don't get me wrong I'm glad IMS and Hall's stepped up to the plate but IMS has always had some, shall we say, fitment issues. I guess there's a little variance in each machine.
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:01 PM   #94
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
Well, I think I'm going to take my chances with the seat fit. These issues confirm my belief that IMS does things the old fashioned way & probably made a plaster cast of the tank then a clay dummy. That would explain the shrinkage & movement of the pins, etc. In the modern world this should have gone from 3D scan to virtual prototype in a few days (vs. weeks of trial & error) & there would be no difference in fit from the factory tank.
The way the 2 additiional petcocks are threaded into the plastic sucks & i've got a leak to fix. They should have put threaded inserts here like the others.
Even with all the fit issues I still think this is a good value for the price but I'd have gladly paid more for a better product.

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:50 PM   #95
offroute
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Well, I think I'm going to take my chances with the seat fit. These issues confirm my belief that IMS does things the old fashioned way & probably made a plaster cast of the tank then a clay dummy. That would explain the shrinkage & movement of the pins, etc. In the modern world this should have gone from 3D scan to virtual prototype in a few days (vs. weeks of trial & error) & there would be no difference in fit from the factory tank.
The way the 2 additiional petcocks are threaded into the plastic sucks & i've got a leak to fix. They should have put threaded inserts here like the others.
Even with all the fit issues I still think this is a good value for the price but I'd have gladly paid more for a better product.
I'm glad I have mine, but I've got to agree that thing is pretty disappointing in a number of respects. The pin holes are misplaced and too shallow. The side panels on mine will only fit with spacers added to where the front tabs attach. The seat post is as Hoder says - too far back. And the front two petcocks seem both too low and cheap in the way they screw in. Hoder, did you use the teflon tap when screwing them in? I failed to ream out the inner hole enough on one and screwing it is twisted the filter screen to the point where fuel flow was seriously restricted. Everyone should be sure to drill out the inner hole so that there is no drag on the screens when screwing the petcocks in.

Hoder, did you use Teflon tape on yours?

If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.
offroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:05 AM   #96
levity
nano-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
Quote:
... The way the 2 additiional petcocks are threaded into the plastic sucks & i've got a leak to fix. They should have put threaded inserts here like the others...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroute
... that thing is pretty disappointing in a number of respects. The pin holes are misplaced and too shallow. The side panels on mine will only fit with spacers added to where the front tabs attach. The seat post is as Hoder says - too far back. And the front two petcocks seem both too low and cheap in the way they screw in...
What Hoder and Offroute said!

One of the two small petcocks that screws into the plastic of the front "wings" on my tank also leaked despite using teflon tape.

I called IMS and they (Kyle) recommended trying Oil and Gas Resistant Seal-All.

Got some at Ace and applied it last night. It seemed like the right type of adhesive - tougher and sticker than silicone, not as hard/brittle as epoxy (like JB Weld).
I'll add gas tonight (6-8 hr curing recommended) and report back on the results.

If it works, I may remove and seal the other one as well. A fuel leak on the trail would not be welcome.
levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:33 AM   #97
ronsolo
Hooplehead

Oddometer: 826
Hmm these posts are not encouraging. My tank is drying on my floor at home and getting ready for the install.

I'm not much of a mechanic but how hard is it to make a tank and petcocks that do not leak? These are somewhat crucial components of a DS bike. My FJR has been reliably sitting in my garage for 3 years now leak free.

Thanks for the tip on the sealant.
ronsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:55 AM   #98
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,930
No leaks on mine, I used a thicker than normal type of teflon tape. I bet that the thread sealant locktite that I use on the buell drain plugs would work well on the petcock threads.

The fit of my tank became a non-issue. I was fighting it onto the pegs and gave up, came out the next day and the tank had seated itself. I bet if I had just set it out in the sun it would have just slid on.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:07 PM   #99
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy

I bet if I had just set it out in the sun it would have just slid on.
Maybe filling it with Hot water before installing it might make the fitment issues a non issue? Once its mounted, drain the tank & you're rinsing it out at the same time getting rid of any crap on the inside of it

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:09 PM   #100
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus
Maybe filling it with Hot water before installing it might make the fitment issues a non issue? Once its mounted, drain the tank & you're rinsing it out at the same time getting rid of any crap on the inside of it
Not a bad idea. I had rinsed it out and left it in the garage to dry out, came home at my normal 1 am and tried to put the tank on when it was cold.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #101
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
IMS tank

With regards to the way the tank panels fit, mine didn't fit the stock tank any better than the IMS, both were a pain in the ass to get all the screws in...as to the leaking petcocks, one of mine leaked also..even after chasing the threads with a 1/8" NPT tap...JB weld sealed it and it lived thru a 350 mile week-end in Big Bend, so it should hold...IMS should have tapped the tank for 1/4" NPT...deeper, courser threads are less prone to leaking when screwed into soft plastic...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:00 PM   #102
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Damm, why didn't I think of that? Oh yeah, the sun never frickin' comes out up here.
The hot water technique sounds like a good trick though. Wish I'da thought of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
The fit of my tank became a non-issue. I was fighting it onto the pegs and gave up, came out the next day and the tank had seated itself. I bet if I had just set it out in the sun it would have just slid on.
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:35 PM   #103
rockchucker22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
or use a heat gun to to soften the plastic some before mounting?
rockchucker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #104
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchucker22
or use a heat gun to to soften the plastic some before mounting?
heatgun might be too concetrated in heat application??? whereas hot water would give uniform heat.

Just my $0.02
hate to see someone ruin the tank by using too much heat

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:30 PM   #105
rockchucker22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
heatgun might be too concetrated in heat application??? whereas hot water would give uniform heat.

Just my $0.02
hate to see someone ruin the tank by using too much heat
Good point , you would have to use caution. Here in the desert we could just leave the tank on the drivaway for 2 min and it would be plenty hot
rockchucker22 is offline   Reply With Quote