User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2015, 11:29 AM   #1
tcall52 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Celtic Rider tour of Ireland - April 2015

I will be part of a small group doing the 9-day, self-guided tour of Ireland April 3-11, 2015. We're starting/ending in Dublin, and spending 2 nights each in Donegal, Westport, Bunratty, and Killarney. We've never ridden/driven on the left side of the road before, so that should interesting. I'll be riding a BMW 800GS.

We plan to catch as many of the "must see" sites as possible in our brief time there. We also know we'll be putting Klim's "Guaranteed To Keep You Dry" claim to a challenging test. Can't wait!

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
tcall52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:52 AM   #2
auguzt
get on with it

Oddometer: 489
You should go riding one of those country roads that go from south Dublin to the lake in Glendalough (co. Wicklow) passing through the mountains. Unfortunately I am not able to go into details because at the time I did it I was guided by a local guy. I hope someone could chime in on this, because scenery there is awesome.
Just beware the potholes and the grass strip you may find on the road, and put a sticker somewhere on your cockpit that reminds you to drive on the left! It can be very dangerous to forget that!
Old 01-17-2015, 10:58 AM   #3
650ginge
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by auguzt View Post
You should go riding one of those country roads that go from south Dublin to the lake in Glendalough (co. Wicklow) passing through the mountains. Unfortunately I am not able to go into details because at the time I did it I was guided by a local guy. I hope someone could chime in on this, because scenery there is awesome.
Just beware the potholes and the grass strip you may find on the road, and put a sticker somewhere on your cockpit that reminds you to drive on the left! It can be very dangerous to forget that!
Maybe the old military road. It is bumpy as hell but on a 800 GS it won't be a problem. They filmed Reign of Fire there.

If you need any more info on Ireland give me a shout.
650ginge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:47 PM   #4
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,970
When your in Killarney, find "kate Kearnys cottage". It's a few miles west of town.
From here head up Molls gap and spend a night at the black valley hostel.
http://blackvalleyhostel.com/

These images will await you on the way there and as you head west of the hostel.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=gap+o...g&ved=0CDMQsAQ

As someone who has traveled most of the planet on a bike, this is the mecca of riding in Ireland.

Don't forget to come see me in Kinsale. We will have dorms :)

I'm at the end of this road

http://www.wildatlanticway.com/route
Old 01-23-2015, 06:48 AM   #5
tcall52 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
When your in Killarney, find "kate Kearnys cottage". It's a few miles west of town.
From here head up Molls gap and spend a night at the black valley hostel.
http://blackvalleyhostel.com/

These images will await you on the way there and as you head west of the hostel.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=gap+o...g&ved=0CDMQsAQ

As someone who has traveled most of the planet on a bike, this is the mecca of riding in Ireland.

Don't forget to come see me in Kinsale. We will have dorms :)

I'm at the end of this road

http://www.wildatlanticway.com/route

Unfortunately, we will have very limited time to spend in SE Ireland, the first 8 days (of a 9 day ride) will spent traveling from Donegal to Killarney. On the last day, we'll be riding from Killarney back to Dublin, but likely moving on due to catching a flight out late that afternoon. I wish we could at we least buy you a pint on the way to Dublin!
Old 01-23-2015, 12:12 PM   #6
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcall52 View Post
Unfortunately, we will have very limited time to spend in SE Ireland, the first 8 days (of a 9 day ride) will spent traveling from Donegal to Killarney. On the last day, we'll be riding from Killarney back to Dublin, but likely moving on due to catching a flight out late that afternoon. I wish we could at we least buy you a pint on the way to Dublin!
I'll meet you in Kinsale for a pint :) After you seen the best of Ireland.

https://goo.gl/maps/fskwG
Old 01-31-2015, 01:02 AM   #7
slashtommy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650ginge View Post
Maybe the old military road. It is bumpy as hell but on a 800 GS it won't be a problem. They filmed Reign of Fire there.

If you need any more info on Ireland give me a shout.
That's the R115 (Military road) via Sally Gap and ending in Laragh. It's a very scenic ride, riding up along the top of the bog and not far at all from Dublin. The road is typically quiet.

The Wicklow Mountains[sic] offer some of the best riding areas on the eastern side of Ireland. Perfect for a day trip from Dublin.
http://rtbiketour.com/wicklow-ireland/
Old 01-31-2015, 01:22 PM   #8
auguzt
get on with it

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by slashtommy View Post
That's the R115 (Military road) via Sally Gap and ending in Laragh...
Sally Gap! That definitely rang a bell to me! It is the road I was referring to earlier, and the youtube video linked just confirmed it.

Thanks guys!

tcall52! Don't miss it!
Old 02-01-2015, 06:41 PM   #9
Neilsher
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Wild Atlantic Way.

I'm originally from Ireland and last September I spent 11 days riding the Wild Atlantic Way from Kinsale To Derry. You will be following this for part of your journey. I could easily have spent another 10 days on it, but you gotta work with what you got. I was surprised as well that in those 11 days it didn't rain once! One thing I would recommend is making a trip to Achill Island, which is 1 hour from Westport. It's Irelands largest island and is connected to the mainland by road. The ride down there is lovely and once on the island its full of quiet, scenic roads. There is plenty to see there, and good pubs dotted around the place. Not to take away from Westport, you could really spend a week there if you had the time. But it would be a shame be so close to Achill and miss it. Another lovely ride is from Westport to Galway following the coast through Connemara(the route of the Wild Atlantic Way). Its truly magnificent. It takes past Croagh Patrick, behind Mweelrea(Connaughts highest peak) down around Killary Fjord(deepest fjord in the British Isles), through Leenane, down past Cliften, along the Sky Road(very nice views) and down through Connemara and into Galway from the west. That ride is about 6 to 7 hours and worth every minute of it
Neilsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:41 AM   #10
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 18,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcall52 View Post
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Take a seat pad of some description. I rented a bike from CR a year or two back. Decent set up but oh, the seat on that F650!
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:55 PM   #11
tcall52 OP
Adventurer

I appreciate all of this excellent information. And can't wait to get this thing started!
Old 03-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #12
Glenboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
If you manage to make it to Wicklow I'd be happy to meet up with you and show you some of our lovely county
Glenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:18 PM   #13
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenboy View Post
If you manage to make it to Wicklow I'd be happy to meet up with you and show you some of our lovely county
Cork is prettier and the people are nicer.
We also have prettier girls, deeper lakes, higher mountains, cheaper beer, better roads, higher buildings, blah blah

You need to come to Cork some weekend and buy me a beer. There will be plenty of bikers here to BS with over the campfire.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:14 PM   #14
tcall52 OP
Adventurer

Our plans have changed, and for the better. Rather than leaving Killarney and flying out of Dublin late that afternoon, we've added a day to the trip and will spend a night in the Kinsale area. Can anyone recommend a decent BB or hotel in Kinsale? I've looked online and there must be something going on the night of Saturday, April 11because several hotels are already full.

We plan to go from Killarney to the Beara peninsula, ride the Healy Pass and stay near the coast to Kinsale. On our last day, ride to the Wicklow area and definitely catch the Sally Gap (thanks guys!) and back to Dublin.

I'm a fan of Midleton Very Rare, when I can afford it, which isn't very often. Is the old Midleton Distillery worth the time to see?

Midleton VR is the smoothest whiskey I've ever had the pleasure to imbibe.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:02 PM   #15
ewbutler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
for lodging I highly recommend- Jo's Cafe & Rooms/joskinsale.com
55 Main St.
Kinsale
00 353 (O)87 9481026

Jo's is centrally located and within easy walking distance of the many excellent Pubs and Restaurants that Kinsale is known for. The lodging is immaculate and reasonably priced. I've stayed there several times and always look forward to returning. I stayed there the first time I was in Kinsale to pick up my bike at Martin's (Wheatwhacker) and Jo and the staff made it feel like home. The bakery on the street floor is exceptional. If you make reservations make sure to let Jo know that you're motorcycle riders.
Have a great trip,
Wade

ewbutler screwed with this post 03-06-2015 at 09:09 PM
ewbutler is offline   Reply With Quote