Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2009, 07:32 AM   #76
Quietus
Mariner

Oddometer: 455
As I thought it's too early for the ferry companies to publish their summer timetables. I also couldn't find any information about ferries from Thessaloniki to Rhodes or Kos, just an entry that there is once a week a ferry from Alexandroupolis to Rhodes. So you may have to visit Athens to get a ship from the Peiraeus port.

Here are some links that you can find useful information

http://www.ferries.gr/
http://www.gnto.gr/pages.php?pageID=69&langID=2
http://www.gtp.gr/
http://www.camping-in-greece.gr/

Hope some of that helps.. If you need anything else just ask :)

Not all those who wander are lost..
KTM 990 Adv: "The Black Machine"
KTM 690 Enduro: "Agent Orange"
Quietus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #77
Madv
Zavarakatranemia

Oddometer: 365
There is... well better there was a ferry from Rhodos to Thessaloniki last year from Lane Lines (http://www.lane.gr/en-index.htm). I was looking for there timetables too and i was informed by a friend that the company have problems and probably will close :(

I will have more info at the end of February and i will post em...
Old 01-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #78
Quietus
Mariner

Skeftete kaneis apo edw na symmetexei sto 5th European Advriders Rally???

Old 01-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #79
ehoo
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quietus thanks a lot, some of the links a very helpful (but the problem with ferries and camping site on Rhodes still on)
I would like to avoid the Peiraeus port, form Thessaloniki is much closer. I'Il keep in touch. Anyway, thanks a lot.
ehoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #80
Quietus
Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoo
Quietus thanks a lot, some of the links a very helpful (but the problem with ferries and camping site on Rhodes still on)
I would like to avoid the Peiraeus port, form Thessaloniki is much closer. I'Il keep in touch. Anyway, thanks a lot.
I'm afraid you'll have to wait about 3 months as "summer's" timetables usually are available around April as I've been informed. The good thing is that for Rhodes from Peiraeus there is usually a ferry every day and June is not high season so you don't have to book early.

Cheers,
Marinos

Old 01-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #81
Madv
Zavarakatranemia

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
there is another big prob with the ferry from thesaloniki to rhodos. it will take ages to reach rhodos cause it stops in lot other islands. last year boat went from thes/niki to samos, kalimnos, kos and then rhodos

cannot find the exactle timetable but from what i founded out, cruize started every friday at 17:00 from thes/niki and reached kos harbour about 14:00 the next day. i cannot find the exact time that the ship approaches rhodos
note that the above is last year timetable
Old 01-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #82
ehoo
n00b

Thanks Stelao, the length of ferry journey to Rhodes is not a problem for me.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:32 PM   #83
capo998
The traveller

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Hi there Greek riders!!!
We foreign riders travelling to Greece are always very pleased (and grateful) if you can give some advice about our future journeys to Greece. When planning a trip a good piece of advice from a local is more helpful than any guide book.
I am planning a trip to Greece this June and I came across some difficulties. My trip is from Poland to Rhodes with a stop on Kos (I'm not only a rider but also a keen surfer). I have a problem finding a valid timetable for ferries from Thessaloniki to Rhodes or Kos.
Another thing is camping. Are there any campsites open on Rhodes and Kos? Where can I get current information?

Thanks in advance
My friend the only I found about "camping in Rhodes" was
"Camping. At present there is no organized camping site available in Rhodes. The only one that existed was Faliraki Camping which is now closed since 2003. (Out of Business). "
Unfortunately wild camping in Greece is forbitten. As I read you like surfing. A good place for surfing is Gytheio a remote small town in SE Poloponisse with three camping sites.

As mentioned above the timetables for Rhodes at summertime isn't yet avaliable.
Aprilia Caponord ETV 1000
Ducati SS1000ds
Aprilia Falco RSV 1000
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
next to come
URAL Ranger
Aprilia RSV-4
capo998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:00 AM   #84
ehoo
n00b

Thanks for the info capo998, it would be nice to go the place you advice. But this year I have decided that my destinantion is Prassonisi in the south of Rhodes (with a week's stop on Kos or Karpathos). The other thing is that I would like to avoid travelling to Poloponisse, therefore Thessaloniki is the port where I want to get a ferry to the islands. Now, thanks to you and the others, I know there is no camping site on Rhodes, so I have to look for a cheap and friendly accomodation on Rhodes (near Prassonisi) - do you know any? I know I can find it on the net but sometimes it better to ask locals or the ones who have some experience about it.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #85
Marauder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Question for the Greek Riders

I have my US registered V-strom in Athina now and understand that there are a couple ways to maintain the US registration. One was to take it out of the country every 6 months and the other is to have a customs official lock it down when I leave and then free it up again when I return....does this make sense?

Was thinking that maybe taking the bike on a ferry to Italy or riding to Albania every 6 months might not be too bad....Where do the ferrys to Italy depart from and how long is the ride to the border crossing in Albania?

Thanks for the insight!
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #86
Quietus
Mariner

Hello Marauder the ride to Albanian borders is about 550kms IIRC.. The ferries for Italy depart from Patra. I'll also ask a friend of mine that has his car registered in the UK but never had to get the car abroad if there isn't any inmate that knows the procedure..

Cheers,
Marinos

Old 04-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #87
spitiko
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
hello

kala na pername allos enas apo ta chania.......
spitiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:27 PM   #88
quicktoys2
ADVrider junkie :)

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder
I have my US registered V-strom in Athina now and understand that there are a couple ways to maintain the US registration. One was to take it out of the country every 6 months and the other is to have a customs official lock it down when I leave and then free it up again when I return....does this make sense?

Was thinking that maybe taking the bike on a ferry to Italy or riding to Albania every 6 months might not be too bad....Where do the ferrys to Italy depart from and how long is the ride to the border crossing in Albania?

Thanks for the insight!
Not sure exactly how it all works, I converted my US registered bike (Suzuki GSXR1000) to Greek registration within the first 3 months of bringing it here ..... however ..... I did meet a guy a few months ago that has US plates on his car and he told me that he locks his vehicle in his own closed garage when he leaves the country and has arranged with customs that the vehicle is secured in his garage and off the roads ....... so look into your options. Ask if that is an option for you .... assuming you have your own garage of course.

If you do decide to ride to Patra (about 250km from Athens) to take the ferry to Italy, send me a message and maybe we can meet up for coffee/drink before the ferry departs (I live in Patra)

Take care
Soto
Old 04-14-2009, 12:42 AM   #89
Tribalismo
N00bzter

Hello everyone. Another Greek rider here
Nice forum/Nice posts/Nice people .... I hope I get a nice stay here
Old 04-14-2009, 04:12 AM   #90
quicktoys2
ADVrider junkie :)

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribalismo
Hello everyone. Another Greek rider here
Nice forum/Nice posts/Nice people .... I hope I get a nice stay here
Hi Tribalismo

Welcome to the forum ............ I see that you are also from Patra .......
It is a small city anyway, but the internet makes Patras even smaller now.

Maybe we can meet for a ride and add our ride report to the other interesting stories.

Xronia polla and kalo Pasxa
Soto