User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2007, 01:15 AM   #1
SamM OP
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
My new TT-R250, post pics of your TT-R!

I just picked up this 2005 Yamaha TT-R250 Tuesday morning. The bike is in excellent condition with only 1259 miles and cost me $3400, actually I traded a 2005 Yamaha WR250F for it. Even up! My local dealer had it and they were more than willing to trade it to me for the WR. The WR was more highly strung than the TT-R is and I like the TT-R's 6-speed transmission much better. This bike will be dualsported and farkled out. A new kickstarter will be added. This is my new TAT bike. Mods are aimed at doing that trail with this bike. She'll run on 87 octane in a pinch and the seat is MUCH better than the WR's seat. I've already had it on the highway and it rocks. The bike has already been destickered and new racing stickers from England are going to be ordered soon. I can't wait to get started on it. The first mod will be a new rear rack from cyclerack.com.

Post pictures of your TT-R250 and show me what you've done!

Bringing it home!

The 950 just couldn't watch!
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:07 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,660
It's a fun bike!!
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:33 AM   #3
SamM OP
Jeep Overlander

I think you're right Gadget Boy! I can't wait to get it streetlegal and farkled out! As I said before, this thing rocks on the street. It's way faster than my WR ever was. I love the 6-speed tranny. It can be shifted without any clutch whatsoever. Snicks right into gear! Very cool!
Old 04-12-2007, 09:51 AM   #4
Red_Chili
Fresh Ground

Oddometer: 2,077
My son loves his. It is a great dualsport and all around trailbike, a real XR killer. He has gotten to be a good rider on his.

I didn't find it to be quite adequate on the road, but then, the air is thin up here...

What is the expense and the source for the kickstarter parts?
'97 KDX 220 for woods work
SMUGMUG COUPON RSKbiM6oytjtw, save some money and have a great online picture gallery!
Red_Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:51 AM   #5
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,303
ya gotta wonder why yamaha doesnt offer this as a street legal DS instead of the 225 nice bike!
Old 04-12-2007, 01:15 PM   #6
JRiott
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Wow, did you really trade a WR250F of the same year for a TTR250? Was your bike pretty beat?
03' XR70
01' XR50
93' CBR900RR
JRiott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:54 PM   #7
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Cool bike Does sound like its better for your purposes than the WR was (although the WR is a wonderful bike, its not a long-distance/dual sport type ride).

SamM, if a TTR was more powerful than your WR, something was seriously wrong with your WR, it should be a lot more powerful than the TTR!

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:47 PM   #8
SamM OP
Jeep Overlander

The WR250F is much more powerful than the TT-R250 but it is limited on the street by the stock gearing and the 5-speed transmission. Plus you must use high-octane fuel in it. The WR that I traded in ONLY had 164 miles on it! My problem was that I just didn't ride it enough. I just didn't like it for what I bought it for. My plan was to plate the WR and use it for trail riding and a possible attempt later on the TAT. I was worried about low octane fuel and the maintenance requirements of the WR racing engine. The TT-R will just serve me better. I don't mind the air-cooled TT-R engine at all.

Yeah, I really traded a like new WR for a TT-R250. Pretty dumb I know, but I like the TT-R much better! It was the bike I should have bought in 2005. The same dealer had one sitting right next to the WR when I bought bikes that day. I never gave it a second thought. I wonder of it was this TT-R. That would be funny! My daughter got the TT-R125E and I got the WR250F. I'm just not aggressive enough off-road to use the power of the WR and I want to ride to work on it once in awhile. The WR wasn't the right bike! The TT-R250 is!

The kick starter conversion is available from England. You may be able to source it in America but the link I found is from England. The website is BrianEland.com. You can also go to ThumperTalk and checkout the sticky on the TT-R250 section. All the info is there. The kickstarter is needed for this bike to be a true lightweight Adventure bike. I'm looking for a bigger tank and I'm going to buy a D&D TT-R graphics kit for it. The bike has been laid down on the pavement and the rear fender is chewed up. I will replace it. The rest looks good and it only has 1259 miles on it. The rubber tits on the front tire are still on it around the edges. The TT-R has a beefier frame than the WR and seems to be easier to maintain than the WR. Getting to the battery doesn't even require seat removal. This may be the perfect Trans-America Trail bike! I'm going to start looking for another one! I love it!

Here's the WR I traded in! The seat was stiff as a board, I couldn't put fatbars on it without a major outlay of cash (new top clamps and brackets), it needed new sprockets to gear it for the street, etc...I'm much happier now with the TT-R!

SamM screwed with this post 04-14-2007 at 12:35 AM
Old 04-12-2007, 03:58 PM   #9
SamM OP
Jeep Overlander

The dealer was asking $3400 for the TT-R250. They offered me $3550 trade in for the WR. The WR was financed on my Yamaha card and I still owed a little money on it. They basically paid it off and recharged me the same amount for the TT-R. I'm right were I was and the TT-R will be paid off in a month or so. The taxes were $93 so the difference was $57. I told them to forget it and we swapped even stephen! This is the 7th bike I have purchased from them. After the TT-R is paid off, I'm trading my 2002 Polaris 500HO in on a new Yamaha 660 Rhino. I'll get about $4500 for the Polaris and the balance goes on the Yamaha card again. I usually get low interest for 2 years. The program on the WR ended on the 9th and I got the TT-R on the 10th. I usually have whatever I buy, paid off before my 2 years is up. This was the first time I went over.

The Yamaha card makes it easy and I really like Yamaha bikes!

SamM screwed with this post 04-12-2007 at 07:32 PM
Old 04-13-2007, 07:49 PM   #10
Gilgamesh
God-King of Ur

Oddometer: 780
TTR's ROCK!

The kid loves his TTR!

Gilgamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:54 PM   #11
holycaveman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,379
Nice bike!!!! Believe it or not that thing is capable of beating any ktm, yz, cr, etc in the woods. Very capable bike!!!!!

Even with the hp it puts out, it can even compete in racing.
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:12 PM   #12
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,303
your a smart dude, sometimes less=more

never rode either bike, but I wonder on the bottom end how they compare, many of the RFS make their power screaming like hell.

enjoy yer new bike
Old 04-13-2007, 10:16 PM   #13
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
wow...the wr looks awesome....if i were given the chance to be in your shoe,i would bang myself on a wall for traded in the wr.... ..btw,do you wanna know how much the WR250F cost here...16grand Singapore dollars...previous batch which is wr400F cost way cheaper back few years costing 13plus grand...however,the TTR is no longer available since 96...

but well,different bikes suits different rider....wat matters is,you enjoy wateva ride you've got...cheers mate...
KTM640ADV,KTM620DUKE projected()[COLOR=red]VF750C-96(project tracker)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-friends/158711187491373?v=wall[/URL]
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:11 PM   #14
holycaveman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChile
your a smart dude, sometimes less=more

never rode either bike, but I wonder on the bottom end how they compare, many of the RFS make their power screaming like hell.

enjoy yer new bike
The ttr 250 makes a lot more torque, down low, just like an xr, maybe even more.

about 6 years ago my yz was broken and the shop let me borrow a ttr 250 for the state championship harescrambles event. I said "gee thanks" thinking I got to be crazy?

believe it or not I holeshot the open class, and went on to get 2overall amature and 7th over all, about 200 riders, robbie jenks won it. Truth is I probably wouldn't have gotten any better results on my yz426?

That ttr will do you just fine
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:20 AM   #15
SamM OP
Jeep Overlander

AJ,
I hear what you're saying and I agree somewhat. The truth is that I don't race, if I did I would have never traded the WR away. I trail ride. Racing is totally different from trail riding. You never see a hillclimb like we have here at an MX track. The low torque of the TT-R is much better in the mountainous terrain that I live in. When I was hillclimbing the WR, it would run out of steam half way up the hill. A buddy of mine loved my WR and went out and bought one just after I did. His experience was exactly the same. He tried all sorts of mods trying to get the WR to be a YZ. He cut the gray wire, added YZ cams, new YZ muffler, etc... It can be done but it's going to cost you some cash. It never did what he wanted. The TT-R makes more torque down low and I have a feeling just in the few miles that I have ridden it, that it will work better off-road. For road use the TT-R beats the WR hands down, not even close! Road sprockets will make it a commuter bike but still keep it woods worthy.

Thanks for the positive feedback on the TT-R guys. The WR was a better bike, I'm not disputing that. It was not better for me! It cost more but that's relative. I bought it brand new and any time you do that get ready to take a beating if you sell. The WR sat in my shop for 2 years and I only put 164 miles total on it. In my defense, I was framing a new house last year but the bike just didn't move me to get out and ride. The TT-R does. We got a cold snap here with a little snow and I'm growing impatient to get out there and ride the TT-R. I really like the 6-speed tranny. The transmission makes the TT-R more of a daulsport capable bike than the WR could ever hope to be. With proper woods gearing the WR is done at 55 mph or so.

I ordered a new rear fender for the TT-R yesterday and have a few cheap mods planned for it. New stickers from England, new Renthal handlebars, Acerbis handguards and a new FMF slip-on pipe. I hope to get all that done in the next few months. After it's paid off a new Baja Designs dualsport kit and a new plate will go on it.

Another picture!

New 2007 MX sticker kit!

SamM screwed with this post 04-14-2007 at 12:51 AM