Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
Ian640 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Question WR250F as a Dual Sport - Reliability?

Hi,

Has anyone used a Yamaha WR250F as a dual sport machine? With plenty of street riding? If so any reliability issues?

Thanks.
Ian640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
Milhaus
Made in Denmark

Oddometer: 3,010
I wish I had some first hand experience with this but I don't...not exactly. I have a 2001 YZ426F that has a dual-sport kit on it and it has been 'stone-cold' reliable since day one (minus some jetting issues I had).

I just recently added the YZ450 exhaust cam to the bike to get rid of the decomp starting. With the engine apart, I measured as many surfaces as I could and they were all well within spec. I don't see why the bike wouldn't be a reliable platform for dual-sporting. I would add an oil cooler to increase oil capacity, but other than that, I don't see why you couldn't do it.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
comes naturally
renewed hope

Oddometer: 1,894
valves are 40 buck (US) a piece and there are 5 of them...
comes naturally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
dirty dave
Banned

Oddometer: 1,086
my wr250 has thousands of dual sport miles, no problem, just gear it properly for what your doing and it shouldnt give you any problems.
dirty dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:45 PM   #5
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,250
I'm building an '03 WR250F dualsport right now. It seemed like the perfect bike for those rides where the XR650 is just too big and heavy.

Here's a detailed write-up about adding an oil cooler and a thread on thumpertalk to go along with it.
jesusgatos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:29 PM   #6
comes naturally
renewed hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty dave
my wr250 has thousands of dual sport miles, no problem, just gear it properly for what your doing and it shouldnt give you any problems.
That's good news! I'm trying to convince PennDOT that my WR can be on the road.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:15 AM   #7
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,156
Cool2

I've done it in the past with my 2002 WR250F, though not thousands of miles on pavement, maybe 1500 miles. Not the most street friendly vehicle, you really have to rev the heck out of it to get any decent speed for the roadways. Even tough the engine is pretty smooth compared to KTM LC4 or XR650R, the vibration does get to me after a day of 60 miles distance on the pavement. Maybe I'm just getting old.

But reguarless, the WR250 engine is plenty reliable for dual sport use, change oil/filters often, you'll be alright.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:02 AM   #8
drop
XR650R Pilot

Oddometer: 69
You'll be sorry when your motor grenades and you realize how much a new top end is. You'll have to junk the bike. Do it, if you don't mind the idea of a disposable motorcycle. These aren't for sustained high speed riding over long distances.
drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:07 AM   #9
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,156
Cool2

You've seen a WR250F topend explode?

What's sustained high speed or long distance for you?

How much is a new top end, do you know?

Have you even ridden a WR250F?

All motorcycles are disposable, whether or not replaceble is the difference.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:04 AM   #10
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,558
I bought my WR250F in `01 and have ridden it 1000's of miles in the dirt. I started putting more pavement miles on it a few years ago, and started worrying about the reliability factor as well. The oil gets changed and the valves get checked on an almost obsessive-compulsive schedule, and I've had no problems whatsoever with the motor. I did have to replace a few valves last year, but not bad considering how long and how hard I've been riding it. I put sticky street rubber on it and ride the piss out of it up in the Sierra and all over the state. I'm usually chasing down a WR426 with an ex roadracer aboard so it gets put through the wringer. The gearbox on the 250 gets hammered on the street, though, as it needs to be shifted constantly to stay in the sweet spot. And with no cush drive and no knobbies to soak up the lash I wondered how long it would last. I had a problem with no oil flow a while back, and traced it to clutch plate debris blocking the oil filter screens on the bottom of the motor. Had to split the cases to clean them out. I also got tired of getting smoked on the fast stuff so I picked up a KTM 450 EXC a few months ago. Much nicer on the pavement, especially for those occasional long stretches of highway, and the motor is a blast in the dirt, too.

I would say that if you already have a 250f, go for it and enjoy it. Stay on top of the maintenance and it should be no problem. But if you have a choice of bikes, I would go with a WR450, though. As an aside, the WR426 has been positively bullet-proof. Had I known then the direction my riding was going to go in, I would have gotten the 426 instead.

But what do I know...

WoodsChick

Old 04-14-2007, 11:43 AM   #11
kenaroo
I am because i ride

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by drop
You'll be sorry when your motor grenades and you realize how much a new top end is. You'll have to junk the bike. Do it, if you don't mind the idea of a disposable motorcycle. These aren't for sustained high speed riding over long distances.

the rise of the urban myth. the 250 4 strokes have been around for over 6 years and have been proven to be very reliable. most dual sport riders will not test the engine half as much as a pro mx racer. just because it's a smaller cc bike doesn't mean that it will granade if you take it on road.

Proof tested....Tim Morton won his class a few years ago at the Baja 500 on a crf250x against XR650s and other large displacement bikes.

what does your garage look like
http://www.garage-interiors.com

kenaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #12
Ian640 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Thumb

This is generally sounding very positive.

Actually, I've no intention of buying a WR250F, but I I'm seriously considering a Scorpa T-Ride (details here: http://www.scorpa.fr/actualites.php?actu_id=22), apparently released in September. It appears to have a motor based on the WR250F, so I thought I'd ask WR250F owners what their experience of the motor was.

My intended use is mainly in the classic long distance trials we have here, possibly a few timecard enduros and general trail riding. Probably a maximum of 500 miles mixed road/trail going each outing. It won't get hammered on the road.

Woodschick: how frequent do you change oil/filter and check valves?

drop: did you have problems with your WR250F? What happened and after how many miles?

Thanks.
Ian640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:30 PM   #13
drop
XR650R Pilot

Oddometer: 69
I just know what I saw happen when I was riding with a friend on her WR250F. I think the piston hit a valve and the repair bill was going to run her $3000. The bike is a lawn ornament now. These are race bikes, not dualsports. There are 5 titanium valves in there. If your looking for a bike to ride hard and put away wet look elsewhere. If you don't mind doing a preventative rebuild every season or two then go nuts. Otherwise you'll pay through the nose when it seizes. If you really want a lightweight street legal race bike and don't mind the maintenance that comes with it then I'd be looking at something oranger. It's a shame that Honda did away with the XR's like they did. You know why they did though...they last too long!
drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 03:39 PM   #14
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 7,591
Quote:
It's a shame that Honda did away with the XR's like they did. You know why they did though...they last too long!
Sure, that's the reason.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 03:48 PM   #15
comes naturally
renewed hope

Quote:
I just know what I saw happen when I was riding with a friend on her WR250F.
Details?? What was her maintenance routine? What type of terrain was it ridden in?