Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #31
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,305
I posted a link earlier in this thread (1st page) to the thread on thumpertalk about adding an oil cooler. I just installed a set of Unabiker radiator guards that I custom-ordered with the oil-cooler mount option and a Jagg / Setrab oil cooler on my '03 WR250F. I think this it an awesome DS mod for WR's. It added about 6-7 ounces of oil capacity and the oil cooler is really well protected. Unabiker rocks. I'll post a few pictures.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:44 PM   #32
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian640
Another question for WR250F owners. What's the recommended distance between oil changes? And valve clearance checks?
My '06 Book says:

Competition Use:
- Oil Change every fifth Race or 1,000 km
- Vlave check every third race or 500 km

General Use:
- Oil Change 3,000 km or 3 months then 5K or 6 months
- Valve checks are the same as oil

That said, I change my oil every five hours and check the valves every 20, think I got that off of Thumper Talk. I got 50 or so hrs and three valve checks on it since December, the valves haven't moved a bit.

I ran a Hare n Hound Sunday from 6,000' to 9,600' and 57 miles total, the only failure I had was the Baja Designs license plate bracket that broke about 40 miles into it (saw the plate was missing and called a sweep rider to keep an eye out, reunited and it feels so good, reunited....).

I plated it to ride 10-12 combined pavement miles on 50-90 mile days of classic Big Island "Trail Riding" which fits my definition of "Dual Sporting" perfectly.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:24 AM   #33
El Hombre
Banned

Oddometer: 1,536
Quote:
Can someone please translate fragging?

Another question for WR250F owners. What's the recommended distance between oil changes? And valve clearance checks?

Thanks in advance.
Ian, I see you're from the UK. Fragging was using a fragmentation grenade to kill the
officer that was doing his best to get you killed. Walking into ambushes; going into valleys that everyone knew were just crawling with NVA. This was in Vietnam.

The intake valves are bigger, heavier than the exhausts. At the speeds the engine is turning, it's pulling the head of the intake so hard when it seats that it stretches the valve. Called tuliping.
El Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:38 PM   #34
Ian640 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos
It added about 6-7 ounces of oil capacity and the oil cooler is really well protected. Unabiker rocks. I'll post a few pictures.
Be interested to see the pics of your oil cooler arrangement.

Thanks.
Ian640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:42 PM   #35
Ian640 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper
My '06 Book says:

Competition Use:
- Oil Change every fifth Race or 1,000 km
- Vlave check every third race or 500 km

General Use:
- Oil Change 3,000 km or 3 months then 5K or 6 months
- Valve checks are the same as oil

That said, I change my oil every five hours and check the valves every 20, think I got that off of Thumper Talk. I got 50 or so hrs and three valve checks on it since December, the valves haven't moved a bit.

I ran a Hare n Hound Sunday from 6,000' to 9,600' and 57 miles total, the only failure I had was the Baja Designs license plate bracket that broke about 40 miles into it (saw the plate was missing and called a sweep rider to keep an eye out, reunited and it feels so good, reunited....).
This is sounding good. I think my LC4 has recommended intervals of 3000 miles (about 5000km) in normal use.

Happy to hear you were reunited with your licence plate bracket. Not much worse than losing one of those in my experience . Can even get you excluded from some multi-day events if the machine examiner spots you. Really.

Cheers.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:50 PM   #36
Ian640 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Hombre
Fragging was using a fragmentation grenade to kill the
officer that was doing his best to get you killed. This was in Vietnam.
I wasn't there (thankfully) or much aware at the time. Too young/wrong (right?) nationality.

Thanks for the insight on valve tulipping.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:41 PM   #37
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Be interested to see the pics of your oil cooler arrangement.
I didn't take any pictures while I was installing the radiator guards and the oil cooler, but I just snapped a few to show you how it's mounted.

Can you see the oil cooler hiding behind the radiator shroud there?

I used 3/8" Earl's SuperStock hose instead of regular automotive hoses. Their hoses have a much nice full braided liner, so they should be a lot more durable and resistant to tearing than regular oil hoses.

I just ran one hose to the cooler from the 3/8" oil fitting on the left side of the bottom of the down tube. Then I ran the other hose from the oil cooler to the hard-lin that is attached to the left side of the engine. I cut the hard line and flared it so I could clamp the other 3/8" flexible oil line to it. I routed the hoses close to the frame and behind the Flatland skidplate, so I don't think they'll get snagged on anything.

This isn't a great picture, but you can see how the radiator guard on the left side is kicked out a few degrees and the oil cooler is mounted in front of the radiator. The whole thing fits great and the front fender doesn't rub on it or anything.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:44 PM   #38
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

This is what it's all about.

Trailers are for boats!
Old 06-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #39
Ian640 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos
Trailers are for boats!
Well said. I'm very much into riding my bike to events then riding home again. Just how it was when generally one either owned a bike or a car but not both.

Anyways, thanks for the pics. You mention the oil hose running from the frame tube. Does the WR250F have oil in the frame? I was under the impression it was wet sump. The Scorpa T-Ride I'm looking at appears to have no external oil reservoir, yet I believe has a 2006 WR250F motor. Not that it's unheard of to have similar engines with different lubriaction setups (e.g. KTM 640LC4-E/625 SXC).
Old 06-01-2007, 03:24 PM   #40
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Yeah, the WR's store oil in the frame.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:07 AM   #41
westoz safari
n00b

Oddometer: 1
YO. Nice little thread here and it's right up my alley.
I bought a 2001 wr250f a year ago for $4500, done maybe 5-6k, and I'm gonna haul its nasty ass around OZ with a tent and some guts. I hear MANY THINGS about it's reliability, but as far as i'm concernded, if I look after it and check it enough, the right parts shouldn't be that hard to get (and replace yourself) most anywhere in my home country, so i'm looking forward to dual-sporting it all over this place like a madman shitting. What does dual sporting even mean. sounds kind of catchphrasey...like emo or black prog emo jazz/metal.

I've considered others, then and since, for sensibilty & reliability, but i come down to the fact that as well as serving as a a trusty travelling steed, I still manage to be WOOOOTING!!!! at full volume in my helmet when you cain it through some bumpy dirt track as it pulls your arms off, literally hootin 'n' holleren as the yanks say. It's just that much fun.
westoz safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:52 PM   #42
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,274
cool thread ....... small touring bikes ..... I just quickly looked at a ride report about a vespa going cross country so ...... and I too have a WR250F, an '03 model, and plannning and outfitting to do some TAT style riding. Just bought a $199 Garmin 2610 and mounted it via a plate on my handlebars. Some foam and bungies for shock iso and tie downs. made a sun shield today for the screen, not pretty but it works nicely. Got a quick release camera mount installed too ....... using the kenda trackmaster II K760 DOT tires, on my second set now, they work pretty good, but haven't much big road use with them, yet ...... I do plan on getting the cycleracks rear rack to help hold and tie down camping gear and such. Maybe even the 6.6 gal Acerbis tank for riding out in the western wildernesses ..... I am planning on doing the TAT someday, but til then it'll just be smaller trips here, or there, or where ever. Right now I'm getting used to using the GPS ...... sure looking to ride the mountains with my WR!

see what I've done with my bike here
(rides and mods):
http://www.sandslave.com/2003wr250f/
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:51 AM   #43
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,243
I just picked up a 2001 WR250 this week. It is not street legal yet, but I plan on adding a brake light and mirror as required by CoDOT.
What is a good brake light/license plate kit. I like the one in the above picture.
I guess the kit would include instructions on how to install, but I am curious as this is the first bike I've owned without a battery. It must need some sort of voltage regulator like on the light switch?
DADODIRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:59 AM   #44
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

The setup in the picture above is a YZ250F rear fender with a Baja Designs
LED taillight / brake light and license plate mount. The only other thing you need to order is a brake light switch to mount on your rear master cylinder. If you want to get by as cheap as possible, you can keep your WR rear fender and light; it's already got a brake light in there, you just need to wire it, and then make a little bracket to hang a plate. WR's also already have a hi-low beam headlight, you just need to add a switch so you can select between them.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #45
gstar60
n00b

Oddometer: 7
alright how about a yz450. I posted in another thread but it may be more suited for this one. I just bough a yz450 (2007) and have figured out everything(licensing ,lighting, ect.) but want to know about reliability?? I will be doing 35 minute highway trip(60-70mph) on it a couple times a week.
I would like it to still be a trail ridder to(i'd guess about 40% offroad).
Will it hold up with proper maintance and low -moderate abuse??
If it wasn't brand new and i didn't owe millions on it, I might consider a ktm but right now thats not an option.

What other mods should be done?? Oil cooler?? fan for radiator(saw it on an aprilla dual sport??)

The bike is sick on the streets and I'm young so the rough ride/balls to the wall throttle response isn't a problem its a benifit!!!

What do you think??
gstar60 is offline   Reply With Quote