User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #31
Dirt Diver
Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Question Shoo roo

Has anyone fitted one of these type devices to their bike?

And I know it'll start a great debate but, do you think they work?

I'm on 12 hour shifts and I go to work and come home in the dark and I meet lots of wallabies each way.

I've had too many near misses lately!
01 VFR800 Sold and missed.
Adventurers like it dirty!
Dirt Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:36 PM   #32
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,452
My understanding is they are about as much use in keeping Roos away as George Bush is in Mid East Diplomacy
Old 06-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #33
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,241
It's been discussed before here... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221519

You could try dingo piss http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148061
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #34
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Those who have them swear by them to justify the purchase and point out they they have never had an "incident" since they were fitted.
Those of us who don't have them fitted point out that the vast majority have never had an "incident" either.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #35
Mr Ogmore
no u

Oddometer: 427
just from a pure physics perspective I dont see how they can work either unless they have 1km + range which they dont, even if they do 'scare' a roo the reaction time availible to a roo is so tiny as to be useless anyway at any decent speed.
Mr Ogmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #36
johno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,912
Woftam
johno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #37
choccoloco
Cabin Fever....

Oddometer: 798
Apart from the annoying sound they make, they're expensive & I've been in a car were a roo thought he'd check it out personally.... needless to say that was sold.
I've also had roo whistles on the bike, a few days on the bike & Mr Skippy thought he'd feel what a front tyre of a Strom felt like at 100km/h.

Best defence, adjust speed to see, no matter the time of day, I've had them come out at all times of the day, especially around Canberra.
choccoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:52 AM   #38
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
I have read the principle, from the web site of the sellers, but have not seen any information that proves marsupiels are in any way bothered by high frequency sound. Or in fact that they can hear it at all.

As an electronics sort of guy, I know that as you travel at speed down the road, the sound waves travel slower in relation to the transmitter because you are going the same way(they get bunched up), that means the frequencies that are being heard/felt are higher than that actually being generated. So, the actual unit would have to compensate for this if in fact there was a frequency range proven to be heard by these animals. This is from in front of the bike of course.

Another point to think about is the actual power that is being used. The system claims 200m, but I have seen reports of experiments where the actual signal could only just be picked out of background noise at 50m, so to get the 200m(if it worked anyway) they would need to increase the power by 4 to get the extra 150m(I know this is not technically correct, it is actually a logarithmic scale).

And don't get me wrong, I would like to prove something along these lines worked, I was T boned by a roo on the return from Cobar 2 weeks ago, I tankslapped at 110kmh and survived, he died, I have his fur on my pegs and a ding in my pannier.

Cheers
TravelingStrom
TravellingStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:44 AM   #39
Logan Black
Team Bacon

Oddometer: 3,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLaugesen
Cool to see a few people point out the light thing :)

I've always followed the advice of a mate who's a handler at darwin zoo/outback survival guru/rescue officer.
He says the roos are startled by the noise and look for somewhere safe to hide, but their eyes adjust to the extra light from the car/bike headlights, and can only see the illuminated area directly in front of the vehicle, and the scrub is black to them, so obviously that's not a very safe option in their minds :)
And then they're also scared by the noise of the vehicle, so they get overwhelmed about where to go, and usually end up hopping along the edge of the road trying to get away from the noise, but stay in the light.

So with that in mind; dimming or completely killing the headlights and sounding the horn will scare them away from the road :)
That's what I've always done, and it's always worked.
My Uncle who has ridden for 40 odd years all around australia but especially North Western Aus, Territory and north QLD and he swears by this technique. Roos are stunned by the lights and cant see where to escapae so he reakon turn your light off for a second or two. giving the roo time to find an escape path.

I myself havent had to try this, but im not sure what is more of a butt clenching experience, throwing out the anchors and hoping to avoid (and we all know about target fixation) or turn the headlight off for a few seconds doing 100 K's at night
Old 07-15-2008, 02:55 AM   #40
Tasy's BIGJIM
CornerGrinner

Oddometer: 458
Roo Shoo...

Still Riding the same. On my second Engine rebuild, West Coast Back and forth to the Mine 5on 5 off Day and Night Shift. 4:00am in the morning! 500ks a week...NO HITS of anything...I give up. No they don't work. ...
...12 months Latter...Get those Big Lights on and Ride Fast! You all know! Be back in 12 months...the next year. ...the next...
P.s BIGJim was killed when a Saltwater Croc crossed the Road by the Henty River. Between Strahn and Zeehan. The Croc was wearing a Bathing Cap. (You know with the yellow flowers on it). BIGJim's... Widow Dog Alice the Red Healer. ??
Old 07-15-2008, 02:59 AM   #41
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,572
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Diver
Has anyone fitted one of these type devices to their bike?

And I know it'll start a great debate but, do you think they work?

I'm on 12 hour shifts and I go to work and come home in the dark and I meet lots of wallabies each way.

I've had too many near misses lately!
Theres a guy in Qld who rides a scarmbler who does He reckons they work
davorallyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:34 AM   #42
Dirt Diver
Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasy's BIGJIM
Still Riding the same. On my second Engine rebuild, West Coast Back and forth to the Mine 5on 5 off Day and Night Shift. 4:00am in the morning! 500ks a week...NO HITS of anything...I give up. No they don't work. ...
...12 months Latter...Get those Big Lights on and Ride Fast! You all know! Be back in 12 months...the next year. ...the next...
P.s BIGJim was killed when a Saltwater Croc crossed the Road by the Henty River. Between Strahn and Zeehan. The Croc was wearing a Bathing Cap. (You know with the yellow flowers on it). BIGJim's... Widow Dog Alice the Red Healer. ??
Roads closed, stuck in the pub again?
01 VFR800 Sold and missed.
Adventurers like it dirty!
Dirt Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:05 AM   #43
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasitt
For $5 why not? do they work i don't bloody know but for $5 why not!

Gasitt!
I`ll give you my postal details so you can send me $5 and I`ll do a little "keep the roos away" dance for you..

It`s only $5..... why not??
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:35 AM   #44
AUS CRUZER
Lets Cruz

Oddometer: 2,409
Just for the record,The only time i have hit a roo on a bike i had roo whisles fitted
AUS CRUZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:09 AM   #45
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 9,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom
As an electronics sort of guy, I know that as you travel at speed down the road, the sound waves travel slower in relation to the transmitter because you are going the same way
referring to doppler effect as you are the shift in frequency is quite significant but also only really relevant as the noise source passes you (or did i need to read further)

now of course if the roo is moving then it changes things again.

shoo roo and my money shall never meet...

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote