Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #46
Peter640
Peter 640

Oddometer: 327
The only time I hit a roo was when I had knocked of the little whistle thingy and was riding from the high country. Scared the bejesus out of me as I didnt have time to do anything just rode through it and stained my pants.

For $5 I have a set on the 640!

P (and I would like the roo dance doing as well please)

Peter
Old 07-16-2008, 05:41 PM   #47
KenSA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTinAus

What the original idea (and it seems to have been lost in the myths of urban legend), is they are designed to make the animal move, in other words, sit up, or turn around to see what the noise is about.
This is my experience. I have them fitted to my bike and I have just come back from an 8600 km trip [two up] from Adelaide to Gulf of Carpentaria with PLENTY of roos [and camels, wild horses, pig, goats [best, they always moved away!] sheep, cattle, emus etc.] and nearly always found the roos looking at me which helped me to see them. [Only twice did we get caught travelling after dark and then we sat behind a vehicle and used them for a "roo bar".] We never had a scare with roos but I did slow down for a few. The camels gave us the biggest scare, just came out from behind a rise and right into our path!

One of the interstate bus companies some years ago had great reduction in their road kill when fitted with electronic versions.

Ken
KenSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:18 AM   #48
Rod
Wacko Ocker

Oddometer: 5,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevgriff64
I`ll give you my postal details so you can send me $5 and I`ll do a little "keep the roos away" dance for you..

It`s only $5..... why not??
I 'll do it for $3 and send self stamped envolop...... and I'll throw in a stripper every time you hit a roo

"I told you I was sick" spike milligan 1918-2002
07 DLK V-strom
Ducati 750SS
'Be who you are and say what you feel...Because those that matter... don't mind...And those that mind... don't matter.'
"to succed at the island you must be comfortable in the knowleged that you may leave in a pine box" Joey Dunlop ..RIP
www.Austouring.com
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:15 AM   #49
What's his Face
lost as

Oddometer: 3,596
. The camels gave us the biggest scare, just came out from behind a rise and right into our path!

Maybe they should invent Shoo Camels

nah thats just stoooooopid
Old 07-19-2008, 07:07 AM   #50
sharkey
XLV750R

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyklx250
Maybe they should invent Shoo Camels
My ShooLions have worked flawlessly since the day I bought them. Not been eaten once.

-----sharks
sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:32 AM   #51
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 5,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey
Not been eaten once.

-----sharks
Don't worry Sharks, things 'll pick up mate!
sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:03 AM   #52
Tasy's BIGJIM
CornerGrinner

Oddometer: 460
Thumb Shoo Crocks For Sale...

Shoo Crocks For Sale..? I had Roo Shoos when I hit that Crock on the West Coast Hwy in Tasmania..? and thats a crock of s_ _ _!
I made him into Hand Bags and a nice pair of shoes! Fair Dink!! BIGJim. ?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:23 AM   #53
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,707
Kanga-safari-rooted

The following is an excerpt from a message sent to Jaybo1;

Hi Jaybo!

Troy here... I read about your eNZed mates (Robin) roo crash while out testing his Safari nav gear... and heard that Rallye had suffered a similar fate (but not as severe) near "miss" a few days back as well?

What is it with all the roo's (in WA?) at the moment (of late)? The Safari of the last two years (including the training incidents) has harvested more roo/biker accidents than I can recall in the last TEN years or so...

What (if anything) can we do; both in general riding terms wise, and specifically - what I am on about here - in a racing application. What can be done to minimise the risk of these collisions?

Okay, so to put it into perspective; and before some (uninformed soul who reads my avatar) jumps in and tells me all about the Oz outback and roos and stuff... remember I grew up in Central west NSW racing enduro's and stuff out around Condo' and have spent a few days/what have you, out in the outback... so I've had my share of experiences... several hits, some near misses and a lot of them at more than 5th gear pace... I subscribe to the theory that the rider is ones own best self defence.

But there seems to have been a spate off serious "offs" of late with the "hoppies" has there not?... Have all these incidents just been "boo boos" on the part of the riders...? Plain bad luck...? Or have the roo's become far greater in number, changed their behaviour in some way?

What's the deal you reckon...? As an engineer, I'm starting to give some thought to the merits of the idea of a balizé/shoo roo type noise/frequency emitting device for moto competitors? The pictures of Shane's KLXR 450 in two bits after last years Kangaroo shunt on the Safari still give me shivers...

I know some of us have bagged the "shoo roo", but maybe there is some need for a device of some sort?

I read with interest that there are several other threads elsewhere here at ADVRider that discuss the problems of deer and other forms of wildlife collision risks elsewhere in the world? Here in Sweden feral pigs can be a big problem at dusk in some areas (I - verrrry nearly - snotted one at 80 km/h one evening three summers back!). Can something be developed to help with the problem... or is it just a part of the risk/management you have to have in the back of your mind when riding in remote areas where groundbourne wildlife is plentiful (I think that might be all that can be done...?)

Or is this problem in WA (the Safari) a behavioural thing on the part of the roo's perhaps? Are they less scared/intimidated by the noise now? Or just thicker in numbers? Once upon a time on the Safari it was the first few bikes that were at risk mostly... they scared up the roo's then they took of and nobody else saw them... But a lot of reports from 2007 and 2008 Safari events have seen blokes that are running mid-pack cleaning them up?

Any feed back on this or your own "roo-ted wreck" stories?

regards

Troy

... look's like carpente found it..."

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 03-03-2009 at 07:45 AM
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #54
gogogorilla
Swinginthroughthetrees

Oddometer: 18
Shape,Shadow,Surface,Sillouette,Spacing,Movement

Shape, shadow, surface, silouette,spacing and movement. These are the reasons we see things in the bush, thats what i was taught in my bad old days as a grunt. These are the reasons the enemy gives his (or her ) position away in the bush. The enemy we are talking about here are roos obviously. But we all know they will mess you up as bad as a Mustaffa with an RPG. In the daylight you can use the above as ways to see the sneaky little buggers in the bush. Dont ride at night. Simple as that.
Use your eyes, scan right to left. The natural way we scan is left to right but we do it a lot quicker because thats the way we were taught to read books. If you scan from right to left you will notice your eyes sort of stutter and dont move as smoothly. This causes you to pick up more detail than you do with the left to right.
Also learn to look THROUGH the bush and not AT it. You will see heaps more. Lots of people think they are scanning and being observant but you need to know how to do it properly
Try it, it works.
I spent years using these simple techniques to spot people in the bush and I guarantee they will help you spot our furry little friends as well.
And if you get the chance when you see one loitering on the side of the road, tell your mates, simple hand signals can be agreed upon before a trip.
gogogorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #55
Jaqhammar
Hooligan

Oddometer: 2,726
I noticed when we had shoo roos on the van in Tasmania that horses and dogs definetly hear them.
Horses would prick up their ears and look in our direction.
As would farmers dogs.

Can't say it ever made any difference with Tassie wallabies.
They'd still jump out in front of the van.

We lived on a long dirt road. To get to work I used to continue along it as a shortcut to the main highway.
The amount of wildlife on the back roads at night in Tassie is incredible.
I never had any indication that shoo roos made the slightest bit of difference to native animals.
Mind you...the rumbling exhaust pipes on my R650 didn't seem to make any diff either.
And in the quiet Tassie night you could them a quarter klick away.
I think roos are just plain fucking thick and have the survival instints of a lemming myself.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #56
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,545
"I think roos are just plain fucking thick and have the survival instincts of a lemming myself."

Correct, they are stupider than Warrick Capper.

Perhaps we could call the Shoo Roo, Shoo Capper, it would be just as effective!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:23 PM   #57
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
I was at Wilsons Promortory earlier this year and the roos where thick on the ground, so when I saw these whistle things for sale in the local shop for 8 Bucks, I though fuck it for 8 bucks I'll give em a go. 3 days later, just outside Grafton on the way home, I hit a roo. Fortunatly i didnt crash but I
Wasted 8 bucks I reckon.

See the last page of my blog for pics.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #58
grb6372
grb6372

Oddometer: 9
Went through this debate some years ago n the australian adventure site and an international KLR650 site. American have problems with deer mostly. Shoo roo whistles and electronic gadgets were debated. A university thesis from Australia thrown into the mix as well. Conclusion was that they dont work. Well not 100% anyway. My experiences concluded in the negative. Mine fell off and I havnt replaced them. There you have it.

Ciao
Greg B
grb6372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:14 AM   #59
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem
"I think roos are just plain fucking thick and have the survival instincts of a lemming myself."

Correct, they are stupider than Warrick Capper.

Perhaps we could call the Shoo Roo, Shoo Capper, it would be just as effective!!
Finally a true assumption There's only one thing thicker than the kamikaze skippy, and that's the ground lice!
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #60
ruschie
DERO

Oddometer: 74
Had one on the DERO for a while and never hit one . It fell off some time back and still haven't hit one!