User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
Mohawk Badger OP
Registered

Oddometer: 132
Burgman(s) vs Honda Silver Wing

Any body have any thoughts regarding the two different Burgmans and the Honda Silverwing? I am vacillating between the Burgman 400 and 650 but the Honda sits right in the middle.

Can anybody give me an opinion and how these scooters would do on bad roads. I don't intend to go off road but some of the roads I ride on are a bit gnarly.

Thanks.
Mohawk Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,282
I am also interested in how these 3 compare. My friend who sells Hondas told me to stay away from the Silverwing - according to him, they have a nasty habit of developing a rather disturbing head shake at high speeds and in aggressive riding in the twisties. He told me the owner of a local motorcycle training school had a bad get off on a Silverwing due to high speed instability issues.

I've heard nothing bad about the Burger 650, apparently it is one fine scoot. The 400 was redesigned for '07 and the new one has received nice reviews so far.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
nwbiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I have a 2002 Silverwing with 32,000 miles on it and my wife has a Burgman 400 with 21,000 miles. I rode a Burgman 650 briefly a couple years ago.

I used the Silverwing on an Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000 two years ago and cruised all day at speeds in the 75 - 90 mph range. Very comfortable and no drama. It also handles curves much better than it has any right to. It's no sport bike but it is far from scarey. I replace front wheel bearing at about 12-15,000 miles on our bikes. We use them for commuting and the urban streets beat them up. The handling gets squirrelly when they start to go.

My wife and I traveled from Seattle to Northern California on the two scooters two years ago and last year we took them up through Banff and Jasper. They are excellent 1-up touring bikes. (For comparison I also had a BMW K1100LT and ST1100 in the past.) We had to ride two-up on the Burgman for 200 miles one day. We rode at up to 75 mph with no trouble but it was cramped.

The Burgman 650 is nice but heavier and didn't feel much faster than the Silverwing. It would be a hard decision to pick between the two Burgman's but I would probably go for the 400 myself. I've been leaning towards smaller/lighter bikes over the last few years.
nwbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
mboni
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy
I am also interested in how these 3 compare. My friend who sells Hondas told me to stay away from the Silverwing - according to him, they have a nasty habit of developing a rather disturbing head shake at high speeds and in aggressive riding in the twisties. He told me the owner of a local motorcycle training school had a bad get off on a Silverwing due to high speed instability issues.
I've had my SilverWing up to 95 or so, and regularly cruise on the interstates at 80, smooth as butter (or at least butter that's been spread over federal highways with too much traffic). I've also done the Tail of the Dragon twice, and numerous other rides in Northern Georgia twisties, and never had a problem.

I've also never heard similar reports from the Yahoo group for HondaSilverWings, which has over 1,800 members. If such occurences were common, I'd expect to have heard something.

I have taken my SWing on some unpaved roads, including a nice section of North Carolina called 'Joe Brown Highway'. I kept it slow, but didn't have any problems.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:26 PM   #5
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboni
I've had my SilverWing up to 95 or so, and regularly cruise on the interstates at 80, smooth as butter (or at least butter that's been spread over federal highways with too much traffic). I've also done the Tail of the Dragon twice, and numerous other rides in Northern Georgia twisties, and never had a problem.

I've also never heard similar reports from the Yahoo group for HondaSilverWings, which has over 1,800 members. If such occurences were common, I'd expect to have heard something.

I have taken my SWing on some unpaved roads, including a nice section of North Carolina called 'Joe Brown Highway'. I kept it slow, but didn't have any problems.
I am glad to hear that your actual experience has been favorable - I almost bought a Silverwing last year but was talked out of it by my pal who sells them. I got a Transalp instead, but I still want a big scooter. Maybe I'll take one for a test spin soon.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:42 PM   #6
slapdash
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I had a 2004 Burgman 400 and now have a 2005 Silverwing. The Burgman was OK around town and on secondary roads but terrible on the interstate. That was the "old" Burgman 400. I know they made some changes but not sure what. The Silverwing handles all types of street riding with ease. The only problem I have with the Silverwing is the high speed MPG. If I cruise at 80 mph, I only get about 38 mpg. It only has a 4.2 gallon tank so the range at high speed is only about 150 miles.

Comfort-wise, I don't think any scooter with feet-forward seating is going to be comfortable on rough roads unless you can figure out a way to plant your feet below the seat so you can "stand-up" and use your legs for shock absorption.
slapdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:02 PM   #7
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,394
I think the 650 Burgs are the 'nads. However, I met a 50-ish woman in the mountains of Arkansas who had ridden a 600 Silverwing, with sidecar, from North Carolina (and had stickers on it from all over the place). She said it was great, though the hack pulled it down a bit on the hills.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:53 PM   #8
nwbiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
The only problem I have with the Silverwing is the high speed MPG. If I cruise at 80 mph, I only get about 38 mpg. It only has a 4.2 gallon tank so the range at high speed is only about 150 miles.
That's for sure! On easy two lane backroad rides I get 50-55 but on my Iron Butt ride I averaged 32 mpg. I had over 13 gas stops in one day. Ugh.
nwbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:49 PM   #9
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Silverwing

The head shake comes from fighting the bars. When I first got my SW I experienced this, but, realized that I was too tense. Relax and you won't get
the shake. If you get sore hands or wrists this is also an indication that you are to tense also. It doesn't surprise me that a new SW rider would have this happen. Even an experienced rider can tense up on a new bike.
I will say that if you drive at 80 to 90 mph you will buy more gas. I think that goes with the territory with most cars and bikes, you just notice it more with the small tank. You will still stop less for gas then your buddies on thier Harleys. Plus your HD buddies won't want to drive as fast as you will on your SW, the SW is an excellent highway bike, better then the HD I had.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:49 PM   #10
Tifighter
thread killer

Oddometer: 472
I used to have a Majesty 400 and considered the SW and big Burger as a replacement. I am 6'3" and around 205 with a modest 32" inseam. I found the SW cockpit to be way too short for me. I would hit my knees with the handlebars well before full lock and just could not get comfortable. The Burger was a LOT more comfortable for me and just felt better to ride all around. It felt noticeably stronger in the engine department, too.

Around here, it is a lot easier to find a SW at a dealer than a B650. Now I know why...
Old 04-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #11
Ken OBSC
-6.12, -7.64

Oddometer: 37,553
Check out www.BurgmanUSA for lots of reviews and comments.

The 650 has enough power for two-up highway cruising. All reports are that it is very stable and handles more like a sport bike. If you ride 2-up the passenger gets a real floorboard not pegs.

The 2007 Burgman 400 has had some reported problems, low frequency but something to check into.

The 'wing and the big burgy are both great scooters.

Old Bastards Scooter Club (Yahoo)
----------
With Age comes Wisdom

More Intellectual Fire Power than the entire wing-nuttery.

Ken OBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:42 PM   #12
leewildwater
rrrrRide Man rrrrRide

Oddometer: 392
I picked up a used 05 400 burgamn a month and a half ago and put over 1,200 miles so far. It's got all the zip you need with exception of interstate slabing. Not my idea of fun. But for the twisties here in WNC and the 10 miles or so of 4 lane into town, it's a 10 outa 10. No way would I want the extra poundage and expense of buying a bigger 650 or SW scooter. If $ wasn't an issue, (pd $3,500 for the 400) I'ld have an Aprila 500. Same weight, as the burgman 400, bigger wheels and more umph. And Italian sytle.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:48 PM   #13
Jonniedee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken OBSC
Check out www.BurgmanUSA for lots of reviews and comments.
should be www.burgmanusa.com
Jonniedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:14 PM   #14
Bike-N-Hike
'03 F650GSD, '06 AN650AK6

Oddometer: 88
Burgman 650 review

I've put 9,000 miles on my '06, 650 Burgman since last July.
I test drove the Burgman 400 & 650 and felt for me the larger
Burger felt more comfortable. The way the Burgman 650 handles
is magic. The control of acceleration and deceleration without
hitting the brakes via the engine breaking impresses me. The
handling through curves is impressive. I personally preferr the
ride and handling of the Burger over my F650GSD. However, the
one area you know your on a scooter is the front suspension.
Although I wouldn't say it sucks you feel the road a bit more than
I would like. All and all I have to say that it can be quite nimble
through the twisties with just enough extra power left over. The
maintenance so far has been fairly easy to do. Three oil changes,
new spark plugs. As far as service from a dealer though very few
in my area have worked on any. The cost of the 600 mile check up
would have been around 250 bucks. So for me I would have invested
close to a grand in maintenance cost in less than a year at the dealer.
I have not riden a SWing but considered them during my shopping. The
Suzuki ECVT transmission on the 650 impressed me over the SWing. The
Swing also seemed a little bit more cheap plastic than the Burger.
I'm sure both are quite nice bikes. Good luck choosing....

Narly rodes, I have taken the Burger over pretty bad dry packed logging
rodes and it did OK. However, I did bottom out the forks, hit a rock on my
front rotor, dragged the center stand on a soft sandy curve, but never did
and real damage. With that said I went out and bought a second hand
dual purpose bike to prevent me from damaging the beautiful look of my
$8,800 dollar scooter. Riding carefully and slow got me through many
4 wheeling roads, I just knew I was going to go down one too many mountain
gravel inclines that the Burger wouldn't be able to get up without really
torturing it.
"Touratech Tank Bag"with Garmin Oregon 450T
'06, Suzuki, Burgman 650 Exec, ABS, 34K Miles

Bike-N-Hike screwed with this post 04-25-2007 at 06:27 PM
Bike-N-Hike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:18 AM   #15
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by McB
I think the 650 Burgs are the 'nads. However, I met a 50-ish woman in the mountains of Arkansas who had ridden a 600 Silverwing, with sidecar, from North Carolina (and had stickers on it from all over the place). She said it was great, though the hack pulled it down a bit on the hills.
I have a pic of her bike. I met her at the Deal's Gap store.

I owned a Burgman 650 for about 6 months before Katrina deposited my elevated house atop it. I loved the machine. I put the speedo into triple digits just to say I did. Cruised effortlessly at an indicated 75 on the slab. Got over 50 MPG regularly on the backroads. The Burgman 650 has larger wheels than the SW and those in the know say the Burgman's suspension is superior.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote