ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 04:38 AM   #9601
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist
 
Phil_Fong's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Land of Schnitzels
Oddometer: 12,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTrev View Post

...........and the way things go these days, one of his sons might finish his days there....


There will be a second wind.

he's good like that
__________________
tEAM nONG - Quorn Schnitzel Club

Phil_Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:40 AM   #9602
PBee
______________
 
PBee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Kersbrook
Oddometer: 8,358
Might see if'n I can get a copy




__________________


QUORN SCHITZEL CLUB Est 2011
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE


PBee screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 05:07 AM
PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:48 AM   #9603
Domonsura
Mad Bastard
 
Domonsura's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Gawler Belt
Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipo View Post
She left the Star Engineering Company factory in Wolverhampton, England bound for Australia in April 1913.

Spent most of her life on the roads around a little place in Victoria called Macorna until she wore out. Then she ended up in bits spread all over the original owners farm until my father spotted her in the late 60's, gathered all her bits up, brought her back to SA and restored her.

She's only a two owner car.

He gave her to me in the late 80's and she hasn't been out of the shed since about 1994. I dragged her out today, fixed 2 flat tyres and intend to sort out some rego this week and take her for a drive to celebrate her birthday.

Happy 100th old girl.



That's awesome Kipo.
Domonsura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:00 AM   #9604
masterbrewer
TDMster
 
masterbrewer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 2,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipo View Post
My father competed in the first Redex trial in 1953. Him and a mate threw a handful of tools in the boot of an FX Holden and hit the road. They lead most of the way aroung Australia against some big name opposition like Lex Davison (V8 Super Car driver Will Davison's grandfather) Stan Jones (Allans father) and 'Gelignite' Jack Murray etc. There was about 5 cars tied on points nearing the end so they put in a 'Horror Section' just outside the finish in Melbourne to determine a winner. Unfortunatley a 'U' bolt on the back axle broke ending their hope of the outright win. They finished 5th outright.

My point is a nobody truck driver from Leigh Creek with no money almost took out the biggest motor sport event of the day.
It's obviously in the genes

masterbrewer screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 05:08 AM
masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #9605
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere
 
Sol Erzenberg's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Adelaide - North East.
Oddometer: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipo View Post
She left the Star Engineering Company factory in Wolverhampton, England bound for Australia in April 1913.

Spent most of her life on the roads around a little place in Victoria called Macorna until she wore out. Then she ended up in bits spread all over the original owners farm until my father spotted her in the late 60's, gathered all her bits up, brought her back to SA and restored her.

She's only a two owner car.

He gave her to me in the late 80's and she hasn't been out of the shed since about 1994. I dragged her out today, fixed 2 flat tyres and intend to sort out some rego this week and take her for a drive to celebrate her birthday.

Happy 100th old girl.



That's awesome Kipo..




Do you happen to know the words to the song 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang' ?


You just sang it out loud didnt you ?
__________________
2009 KTM 690 R
"Thats A Sweet Noise You Got There Man, I Had You Picked Clear Across The Mallee"
2006 KTM 625 SXC
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC







Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:32 AM   #9606
Sundowner
Bort
 
Sundowner's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Central Oz
Oddometer: 3,489
Does anyone in SA have the Giant Loop Coyote or Great Basin luggage system? I have a cunning plan that sees the need for something like this and would like to see if they fit my bikes wide seat.
__________________
Team ADV member - 2014 Australasian Safari, on an XR600R.
"Surround yourself with the best people you can, and make them your friends" - Justin Hunt, Oz Safari Director.
"
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:58 PM   #9607
BTBW 01
BTBW 01
 
BTBW 01's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: SOUTH OZ
Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Does anyone in SA have the Giant Loop Coyote or Great Basin luggage system? I have a cunning plan that sees the need for something like this and would like to see if they fit my bikes wide seat.

I have a Coyote for my DR if you wish to try but fairly sure it will not fit a Super Tenere.
The Great Basin will fit your bike.
__________________
RIDE ON!
BTBW 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:09 AM   #9608
Sundowner
Bort
 
Sundowner's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Central Oz
Oddometer: 3,489
Thanks BTBW - PM sent.
Anyone with the Great Basin?
__________________
Team ADV member - 2014 Australasian Safari, on an XR600R.
"Surround yourself with the best people you can, and make them your friends" - Justin Hunt, Oz Safari Director.
"
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #9609
Sundowner
Bort
 
Sundowner's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Central Oz
Oddometer: 3,489

SA ADVriders Beer Night - Avoca Hotel, 893 South Road, Clarence Gardens, This Tuesday Night, 9th April at 7pm. A chance for those of us that had to work to catch up with the folks who just got back from the Flinders Classic. Noobs, the Banned and the slightly mad regulars all welcome. A great chance to meet over a beer and a meal (if wanted). See you there!
__________________
Team ADV member - 2014 Australasian Safari, on an XR600R.
"Surround yourself with the best people you can, and make them your friends" - Justin Hunt, Oz Safari Director.
"
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #9610
Backonthebike
Giddy up
 
Backonthebike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 666
Mount Samuel

Does anyone have any footage of the Mount Samuel track? I've been trying to desribe it to mates, but video would be better. Especially looking for the big hill climb and descent, so I can show them both places I fell off!
__________________
(NSFW) http://timothydunn.com.au/
I have come to accept that my role in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Backonthebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #9611
kipo
Beastly Adventurer
 
kipo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Port Augusta
Oddometer: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backonthebike View Post
Does anyone have any footage of the Mount Samuel track? I've been trying to desribe it to mates, but video would be better. Especially looking for the big hill climb and descent, so I can show them both places I fell off!
Sorry mate, I didn't take a camera on the weekend. Slatts and I rode Mount Samuel track Sunday morning, it was a hoot.

(there was the odd rock or two on the big climb to the summit )
__________________
Jesus loves me, but everyone else thinks I'm a prick
"The only true wilderness is between a Greenies ears"

Full Member - Quorn Schnitzel Club
kipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #9612
Backonthebike
Giddy up
 
Backonthebike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipo View Post
(there was the odd rock or two on the big climb to the summit )
I did my best to move most of them out of the way. I reckon I hit every big bastard I was trying to avoid, and then some I hadn't even seen.
__________________
(NSFW) http://timothydunn.com.au/
I have come to accept that my role in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Backonthebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #9613
TonyRDR
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TonyRDR's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: South Australia
Oddometer: 235
About time we had another one. Thanks for organising it Richard


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
SA ADVriders Beer Night - Avoca Hotel, 893 South Road, Clarence Gardens, This Tuesday Night, 9th April at 7pm. A chance for those of us that had to work to catch up with the folks who just got back from the Flinders Classic. Noobs, the Banned and the slightly mad regulars all welcome. A great chance to meet over a beer and a meal (if wanted). See you there!
__________________
Riding keeps me sane, but only just.
TonyRDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #9614
TonyRDR
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TonyRDR's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: South Australia
Oddometer: 235
Using an I phone as a GPS

Question has any one used an I phone as a GPS?. My GPS is about 20 years old and about to retire.
The I phone looks good. I can get a waterproof case for it and there is an app with all the hema off road maps and the phone looks pretty durable.
Most of them I have seen run google maps which run on GPS A (assisted) system meaning the phone uses the mobile phone towers to triangulate its location and uses up data also which is no good when out of reception range.
The app with the off road maps should mean it can fUnction on an internal GPS out of reception but I get as straight answer from most of the sales staff.
__________________
Riding keeps me sane, but only just.
TonyRDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #9615
OzJuJu
Team Barracuda
 
OzJuJu's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: SA, land of chocolate
Oddometer: 747
speak to Flickit in the xt660Z thread, I reckon he uses one.
__________________
XT660Z '11
TTR250 Open Enduro '98
OzJuJu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014