ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-15-2007, 06:28 AM   #16
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
gps TAT

Fortuantely for me I had purchased the maps and spent the time -- around two weeks -- converting the charts for the entire TAT to gps data. I just got back from riding the eastern leg (for me entering at the OK/NM border from Albuq). For various reasons we needed to ride from west to east. This would have been impossible to do without the gps data as the charts do not support this approach.

I also made a waypoint for every point on the charts. That way I figured I could refer to the charts if I ever needed to. Turns out the gps data worked great and I never pulled the maps or charts out of the bags on the trip.

Luckily I have two gps devices on my bike -- I ran one in the route mode and one with track logs. The track logs being the most accurate.
empedrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:58 AM   #17
Python423
TnAdvRiders.com

Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by touche
What about all the gps traks posted bu ther peaople... are they lest valuable ? because one guy tries to sell something we can no longer share it ?
I agree here. I haven't purchased Sam's maps, nor do I plan to. I am in East TN, but all it is is public roadways. I share my GPS tracks , that I've took many hours finding and creating the prefect route, so others can do it w/o all the work. If there was sections of this so called TAT, that I felt was worth of sharing to the dualsport community, I would share it, free of charge. I don't care what someone is selling, its public roads, and should be freely shared amoung the dual sport community in my opinion.
Python423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:47 AM   #18
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,245
Paper versus Electrons

I think that since Sam is the sponsor of this route, it is better that any route information orginate with him for quality assurance purposes and to ensure that changes are implemented as required (for example, private property that now needs to be by-passed). It could be pretty confusing to having multiple versions out there that all claim to be current TAT info. Many people would like to see Sam get out of the paper business and instead post routes, tracks, and supporting information as downloads on his site. Coming from his site would ensure current and accurate information (quality control). On the other hand, many people still rely on roll charts and paper maps. Scanning in all the roll charts and maps would produce some huge files for download (although he could send a CD instead of all that paper). Also consider that the maps are 11X17 format right now. As much as I would like to see the gps and other downloads on the TAT site, it can still work okay now. Instead of everyone redoing the GPS workup, just post asking for a file if you want it - many, many folks are willing to share. You take your chances as to how good it is as there is no way to judge the quality ahead of time, but it gives you something to start with. My $.02 . . .
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:19 PM   #19
wheelnut46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Why doesnt someone donate their converted GPS points to Sam free of charge and after verification, he can simply provide them to his buyers as part of the package.
It's nice of you all to be so protective for Sam's hard work/good intent but it doesnt make any sense for each user to re-invent the wheel and do all the conversion work.
1946 Chevy pickup
wheelnut46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:08 PM   #20
gpfan
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Gps

OK... My first, and last post.
(Tried this on a few Canuck forums).

Want a GPS. Shall also use it in the work car.

Want the best bike version going.

Please include mounting shyte problems
or costs, with one's analysis.

Could you nerds please help out a sport-bike
chap, that does a lot of AdVen type touring
on his wee RZ 350.

andy
gpfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:04 AM   #21
number9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
To those of you who have done the TAT, or eastern parts of it - what sections/states would be doable on an FZ1 with dual sport tires on it - like the Dunlop 616 or Pirelli Syncs? http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...al+sport+tires

I've got a BAD itch to ride some of this trail but with dedicated Dirtbike, Long Distance bike and all arounder FZ1, I can't justify me adding a dual-sport to the stable just to try the TAT out.

number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:51 AM   #22
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnut46
Why doesnt someone donate their converted GPS points to Sam free of charge and after verification, he can simply provide them to his buyers as part of the package.
It's nice of you all to be so protective for Sam's hard work/good intent but it doesnt make any sense for each user to re-invent the wheel and do all the conversion work.
Many people have offered to submit their tracklogs to Sam so this not the problem. Also, isn't planning a trip part of the adventure? I am in the process of planning my TAT trip and I believe that preparing the GPS data is a good exercise for me. It helps familiarize me with the maps and roll charts and also the location of hotels and gas. Just some food for thought.
Brent4ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:27 AM   #23
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,275
you are using the roll charts too? then you must be going east to west?

I just got my maps yesterday (3/4/08), AR, MS, TN, but I'm traveling west to east and starting in south padre island, texas, Traveling the coast to LA, heading up the west side of LA to AR. ..... and going all the way to NJ.

Going west to east I gather I won't be using the roll charts (or even going to bring them?).

I will though be using the maps and gps (2610) though and will punch in waypoints in gamin's bobcat beta for mac. ..... no track feature yet ...

I'm thinking about getting this map holder:
http://www.rei.com/webservices/rei/D...17?source=9039
It's a 12x9 that will hold folded road atlas pages or sam's TAT maps (i hope)
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:57 AM   #24
leahyz
Gigantic Tool

Oddometer: 471
Myself and a friend are riding the trail starting next week. We are doing TN-MS-AR or however far we get.

Note: If it took anyone 40 hours to map a state, you're probably not doing it in a very efficient way. It took me about 30-45 minutes for each state, you don't need to load every single waypoint. If you prefer a track vs. a route, it's as simple as a 3rd party conversion software. I have then fiddled with my routes and made a some tweaks, but the basic route didn't take much time at all to create and would be 100% adequate. I feel I have a better idea of the route having created it too.

I think making your own route is very valuable. Figuring out how to make it quickly is the key. I think I have a better understanding of the route from that. I probably will not even touch the paper maps or roll charts, but likely will pack them as a backup.

Hopefully it's not a swap ride next week. Or an icicle ride.

2006 Pacific Northwest Trip - Gone Wanderin...
2008 Trans-Am Trail Ride - TN & MS
leahyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:21 PM   #25
motorrad-michael
www.facebook.com/Mot

Oddometer: 38
Protecting Sam

KUDOS to all you guys looking out for Sam Correro. I met Sam while riding through the Mississippi portion of the TAT. Hearing him tell his story of how and why he created all the navigation for this amazing ride is really inspiring. Sam is a very down-to-earth kind of guy who created and continues to update these maps and roll charts simply for the love of the sport. The small price he asks for his maps can't possibly cover all his time and efforts. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Sam - thanks to all of you looking out for him as well.
motorrad-michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:59 PM   #26
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahyz
Myself and a friend are riding the trail starting next week. We are doing TN-MS-AR or however far we get.

Note: If it took anyone 40 hours to map a state, you're probably not doing it in a very efficient way. It took me about 30-45 minutes for each state, you don't need to load every single waypoint. If you prefer a track vs. a route, it's as simple as a 3rd party conversion software. I have then fiddled with my routes and made a some tweaks, but the basic route didn't take much time at all to create and would be 100% adequate. I feel I have a better idea of the route having created it too.

I think making your own route is very valuable. Figuring out how to make it quickly is the key. I think I have a better understanding of the route from that. I probably will not even touch the paper maps or roll charts, but likely will pack them as a backup.

Hopefully it's not a swap ride next week. Or an icicle ride.
This may be true for those states but once you get out of the states that have GPS data then it slows down quite a bit. I am up to NV and I am taking about 2-4 hours per state (on states that don't have GPS data).
Old 03-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #27
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,648
It took me about 1 hour per state drawing tracks. Using routes is a BIG mistake!
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:58 PM   #28
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop
It took me about 1 hour per state drawing tracks. Using routes is a BIG mistake!
Well, I am using the Garmin beta program, Bobcat, for the mac and I am just putting waypoints throughout the route then I am going to transfer that a friend's pc and draw tracks.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:58 PM   #29
dedsmurf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
what gps to buy?

im in the market for a device.. my mio cant handle anything not in the factory database and doesnt like to be off road.
what device do people recommend?
thanks!
dedsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:09 AM   #30
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedsmurf
im in the market for a device.. my mio cant handle anything not in the factory database and doesnt like to be off road.
what device do people recommend?
thanks!
Whats your budget?
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote