ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 08:53 PM   #61
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop
First of all forget Topo, it is a memory eater. Find yourself a copy of Roads & Rec. I can get the entire TAT on R&R in around 200 mb. Next, use track points not way points to map out the TAT. This should take you no more than 2 hours per state. Loading the track yourself will teach you invaluable information about the trail that you will not get using someone elses work.
+1. I am doing this right now and it works much better than routes. (You can't even route on R&R so it really a mute point)
Brent4ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:52 AM   #62
SalsaBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
What do you do since R&R has been discontinued? Is the Topo really that bad? I've got a 2G card from my SP 2610 so storage shouldn't be a problem right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop
First of all forget Topo, it is a memory eater. Find yourself a copy of Roads & Rec. I can get the entire TAT on R&R in around 200 mb. Next, use track points not way points to map out the TAT. This should take you no more than 2 hours per state. Loading the track yourself will teach you invaluable information about the trail that you will not get using someone elses work.

"If your wiener is happy, then you're happy"-Beavis

where I get my parts: www.wickedthunder.com
SalsaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:36 PM   #63
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalsaBoy
What do you do since R&R has been discontinued? Is the Topo really that bad? I've got a 2G card from my SP 2610 so storage shouldn't be a problem right?
Topo requires much more memory for a commensurate amount of geographical space (i.e. Loading TN from Topo is much larger than TN from R&R). You can find a copy of R&R here from many members. It does not have any unlock codes and can be easily copied and transferred.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:56 AM   #64
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalsaBoy
Yep, just put up a wanted add in the classified section asking for one, they pop up quite often. I see them on eBay too.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #65
Staxrider
dirt dauber

Oddometer: 2,041
I too respect Sam and all his hard work but let's be honest. Sam refuses to come into the 21st century. This thing we do, dual sport, will probably die in our lifetime due to environmental restrictions, urban encroachment, and private land ownership. The Oregon section is so full of reroutes it is essentially useless. Yet anytime a noobie comes asking for advice he is directing towards paying "the man" and plotting it himself. The riding community is a small one and Sam was a pioneer-20 years ago. Any suggestions on improving this route, keeping some kind of real time database that potential riders could use, is always met with one roadblock-SAM. I've paid the price for the maps, plotted it myself on Mapsource, and ridden it. Sam isn't some sharecropper living in a shack, he's a retired pharmacist. The more riders we get on this trail, the greater the chance it might be preserved.
Staxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:00 PM   #66
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staxrider
I too respect Sam and all his hard work but let's be honest. Sam refuses to come into the 21st century. This thing we do, dual sport, will probably die in our lifetime due to environmental restrictions, urban encroachment, and private land ownership. The Oregon section is so full of reroutes it is essentially useless. Yet anytime a noobie comes asking for advice he is directing towards paying "the man" and plotting it himself. The riding community is a small one and Sam was a pioneer-20 years ago. Any suggestions on improving this route, keeping some kind of real time database that potential riders could use, is always met with one roadblock-SAM. I've paid the price for the maps, plotted it myself on Mapsource, and ridden it. Sam isn't some sharecropper living in a shack, he's a retired pharmacist. The more riders we get on this trail, the greater the chance it might be preserved.

Personally, I think the planning process is a great part of the overall adventure. I didn't mind plotting the maps on the GPS because it helped me familiarize myself with the maps, GPS, and the mapping software.
Also, the noobs aren't automatically directed to Sam when they ask for advice. Advice on the TAT is freely given (i.e. what to pack, what types of tires, how to plan and pack for the TAT in general).
Also, preservation of the TAT isn't related to the amount of riders that ride it since it's all on public roads.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #67
Staxrider
dirt dauber

Oddometer: 2,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent4ADV
Also, preservation of the TAT isn't related to the amount of riders that ride it since it's all on public roads.
Don't kid yourself, plenty of people want to close off sections of this "public" road.

Staxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #68
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staxrider
Don't kid yourself, plenty of people want to close off sections of this "public" road.

I would guess that TAT riders are not the reason that some people want to close some of those sections since TATers only account for such a small number each year.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:45 AM   #69
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,383
I don't know, Brent, you rember the ride between Eureka and Battle Mnt. Nv ? After riding through that huge basin early in the ride you ride down a dirt road through a ranch. The one with the giant mailbox. Well we obeyed the signs that said "SLOW". We really did, if we went any slower we'd fall over ! We'll to say we got the hairy eyeball is an understatement. If that rancher had a shotgun I swear he'd pull the trigger. But over the whole 5k miles, I'd have to say that was the only time we felt like we wer'nt welcomed.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:14 PM   #70
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
I don't know, Brent, you rember the ride between Eureka and Battle Mnt. Nv ? After riding through that huge basin early in the ride you ride down a dirt road through a ranch. The one with the giant mailbox. Well we obeyed the signs that said "SLOW". We really did, if we went any slower we'd fall over ! We'll to say we got the hairy eyeball is an understatement. If that rancher had a shotgun I swear he'd pull the trigger. But over the whole 5k miles, I'd have to say that was the only time we felt like we wer'nt welcomed.
I do remember that section. There were also slow signs in Ophir as you went through I believe but the folks there seemed to welcome us as we passed through.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #71
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Also planning

I too am planning a TAT trip - probably alone - and after watching this thread I have a couple of related questions. I have Oregon, Utah, Nevada maps and I remember reading someones comments (gaspipe?) about where to place your track waypoints - before or after a turn - and they gave a good reason which I also can't remember.
As far as the road closures and best detours I think it would be great if there was a sharing of knowlege. I think it could be specific enough that it would help riders avoid problem areas and yet not hurt Sams interests. Something as simple as GPS coord of the roadblock and maybe a hint - had to go North or South whatever to get around this thing. That way a new rider planning could see exactly where the problem is and plan a solution. I am from Ohio and although I have traveled west I am aware that it must be a totally different land ownership and usage relationship than what I am used to. I do not understand this "open range" that seems so common out there. Here if a person here hangs a sign on a road closing it an claiming private property it had better be his road and property. I am of the opinion if a road is shown on a map it's mine to use. You know I have kind of gravitated toward this dual sport riding because I am tired of being viewed as an outlaw as so many great offroad areas are closed or made basically useless by the management agencies. Anyway I hope there is enough interest to help future riders.
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:22 PM   #72
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlookin
I too am planning a TAT trip - probably alone - and after watching this thread I have a couple of related questions. I have Oregon, Utah, Nevada maps and I remember reading someones comments (gaspipe?) about where to place your track waypoints - before or after a turn - and they gave a good reason which I also can't remember.
As far as the road closures and best detours I think it would be great if there was a sharing of knowlege. I think it could be specific enough that it would help riders avoid problem areas and yet not hurt Sams interests. Something as simple as GPS coord of the roadblock and maybe a hint - had to go North or South whatever to get around this thing. That way a new rider planning could see exactly where the problem is and plan a solution. I am from Ohio and although I have traveled west I am aware that it must be a totally different land ownership and usage relationship than what I am used to. I do not understand this "open range" that seems so common out there. Here if a person here hangs a sign on a road closing it an claiming private property it had better be his road and property. I am of the opinion if a road is shown on a map it's mine to use. You know I have kind of gravitated toward this dual sport riding because I am tired of being viewed as an outlaw as so many great offroad areas are closed or made basically useless by the management agencies. Anyway I hope there is enough interest to help future riders.
To answer your first question, you'd want to put the track point after a turn so that once you start down that road you've turned onto you will run into the track point and know your going the right way.

Open range is not a term used to describe roads. It was first used back in the 1800s and basically meant that ranchers did not have to fence their animals in. The animals could graze where ever they wanted (thus, open range).

The only exception was that if a rancher did build a legal fence, then that rancher was due remuneration if an animal did break through the fence and do damage (i.e. graze, harm other animals, etc). Back then, it was common for ranchers to leave their land unfenced but today, it's more common for them to fence their land. The fencing is mainly for their own protection from other livestock and not the incarceration of their own.

What does this mean for the rider on the TAT? Well, let's say that a rancher has a parcel of land that covers two sides of a public road. This rancher is not required to keep the livestock off the road inside of his/her property. The only reason that fences are built is to keep other folk's livestock off of your land.

So, if while riding on a public road inside this rancher's property you happen to run into a cattle and kill it, then you would owe the owner of said property for that cattle.

Land ownership laws in the east differ because they require that you keep animals on your property from leaving it, whereas in the west it's fine if they leave your land as long as they don't break through a legal fence and graze on someone else's land.

Hope that wasn't too confusing. Also, it is common courtesy to leave a gate how you found it while out west.

Brent4ADV screwed with this post 01-04-2009 at 11:35 PM
Old 01-05-2009, 06:40 AM   #73
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Thanks for the explanation - I understand and it made sense. Thanks
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:37 AM   #74
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
One way to pass along updates....

I've ridden the TAT... all but OK. I bought Sam's maps, entered the waypoints into Mapsource, developed routes, and rode it.

For those of you wanting updates on problem areas, I figured out a way on how to tell you where they are at and how to get around them....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=398452&page=3

Look at post 32, this applies to Oregon and what I ran into when I rode it - Sept/Oct 2007. I posted it in GPS Tracks West as that is the area it covers.

StaxRider knows I posted it, and yet he keeps using a straw man argument about updates of the TAT. As far as I'm concerned, if you don't want to buy the maps then don't ride the route. Yes, it is all public roads and anyone can ride them.... so you go ahead and put together a transcontinental route using interesting public roads and give it away!

Actually, another transcontinental route would be GREAT! Ride the TAT east to west, and the other west to east! Go for it!
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:58 AM   #75
huggybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent4ADV
I do remember that section. There were also slow signs in Ophir as you went through I believe but the folks there seemed to welcome us as we passed through.
And it is sad that they have to put up slow signs,after all it is a town,residential area ,dusty streets,why would We all not just respect there area so they would not have to put up signs?
I no the large percent of us do.
huggybear is offline   Reply With Quote