ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #76
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggybear
And it is sad that they have to put up slow signs,after all it is a town,residential area ,dusty streets,why would We all not just respect there area so they would not have to put up signs?
I no the large percent of us do.
Well, the slow signs in this particular town (Ophir) were there b/c it was part of the Alpine loop and they get a good bit of traffic during the summer through there.
Brent4ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #77
Staxrider
dirt dauber

Oddometer: 2,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler

For those of you wanting updates on problem areas, I figured out a way on how to tell you where they are at and how to get around them....
Look at post 32, this applies to Oregon and what I ran into when I rode it - Sept/Oct 2007. I posted it in GPS Tracks West as that is the area it covers.

StaxRider knows I posted it, and yet he keeps using a straw man argument

It's really going to help a few riders that you did that, I know it would have helped me.

And just for the record the last time I have posted anything on this was January 4, you posted your updates 8 days after that so I'm not sure what your point is. It's no straw man, read any TAT report and one thing stands out about the Oregon section, the disconnect between Sam's route and reality on the trail. My wish is that everyone who rides this trail does as you did and shares what they encountered.
Staxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:51 AM   #78
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Whoops!

Sorry StaxRider, I didn't look at the dates on the posts!!!

Actually, I posted on the SpringTAT site last spring the problem areas and types of roads that you would be riding for Utah, Nevada and Oregon.

I think AlPiv and those guys used my updates, but for some reason the site seems to be down - I get a database error when I try to go there.

So the problem areas that I posted on here for Oregon is somewhat based on that, I just added the reroute information in a clearer form.

For now, anybody that posts or PMs updated information on the Oregon section I'll go back and update my post - so it will be the most comprehensive info available.

Thinking about doing that for the other states too.... can't think of any major problems in UT or NV, but can think of a few minor ones.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #79
4RunnerFever OP
Intercontinental

Oddometer: 256
Well, a few years later and now I get to do the Mississippi, Arkansas, and Oklahoma portion. See you on the TAT June 13-20, 2009
Old 07-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #80
begeberg
That'll leave a mark..

Oddometer: 2,299
Amazing...

Has anyone really talked to Sam to see if he will offer the GPS files for the TAT? I would be happy to buy them from him but not interested in paper and spending time to transfer. I would think sending it electronically would be much more profitable for him than producing paper anyway. Who wants to mount a frickin' roll chart when ya got GPS!!!!

I am thinking of trying to do some of the Eastern portion but was just down in AR for the SLAP ride so would probably either just go east or West from near there as I only have around 4 or 5 days to do it if at all this year. Oh, Oark has great pie! Hell I might just roam around and hit a few of the highlights that look fun and scenic. Not real interested in paved roads.

Sam, are ya listening here??? Might be time to shift gears to the 21st century...
begeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #81
cbomb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Is tennessee worth doing? Too much pavement? I was thinking about doing it in the beginning of december. I'm new to this and just trying to get an idea of what it takes before taking on the whole TAT.
cbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:19 AM   #82
LongCliff
Bagger

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbomb
Is tennessee worth doing? Too much pavement? I was thinking about doing it in the beginning of december. I'm new to this and just trying to get an idea of what it takes before taking on the whole TAT.
I rode Tennessee thru Oklahoma in August 2009. I would not bother with Tennessee. It is mostly paved and a lot of it has a "suburban - used to be rural" feel.

Arkansas is the best state on the eastern TAT. Has both sandy lowlands in the delta and nice forest service roads in the Ozark Mountains. Mississippi is good too, riding on top of the levys is an experience not to be missed.

I really enjoyed Oklahoma, but I seem to be in the minority. Some of the sections are very straight for miles and miles, but there is enough muddy and loose stuff on the roads to keep you interested. When you get to the part with the curvy roads, rolling hills, and free range cattle, it is just beautiful.

Is snow a problem in the Ozark Mountains in the beginning of December? I really don't know. Make sure you have good cold weather riding gear.
LongCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #83
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
I looked at the TN section as a right of passage and a good place for a shake down. You learn to pack and unpack, to stay hydrated, and to gain confidence at many things while in a relatively populated region. What is your fuel mileage, how are you doing on tire wear, to much or not enough pre-load with this load you're carrying etc... etc.

If you have to ask, I would certainly say yes. And, I wouldn't have missed that lunch in Bell Buckle, or those creek crossings for nothing in the world.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #84
LongCliff
Bagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew
I wouldn't have missed that lunch in Bell Buckle, or those creek crossings for nothing in the world.
I still get a knot in my stomach thinking about those creek crossings. Dropped the bike on two of them. Could barely stand up in the creek it was so slick. Had to drag the bike out of the creek before I could lift it up on two wheels again.

Make sure you have good barkbusters to protect the clutch and brake levers before you cross creeks in TN!
Old 11-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #85
cbomb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongCliff
I rode Tennessee thru Oklahoma in August 2009. I would not bother with Tennessee. It is mostly paved and a lot of it has a "suburban - used to be rural" feel.

Arkansas is the best state on the eastern TAT. Has both sandy lowlands in the delta and nice forest service roads in the Ozark Mountains. Mississippi is good too, riding on top of the levys is an experience not to be missed.

I really enjoyed Oklahoma, but I seem to be in the minority. Some of the sections are very straight for miles and miles, but there is enough muddy and loose stuff on the roads to keep you interested. When you get to the part with the curvy roads, rolling hills, and free range cattle, it is just beautiful.

Is snow a problem in the Ozark Mountains in the beginning of December? I really don't know. Make sure you have good cold weather riding gear.
How much is paved? 50%? 90%?

What bike did you use?

Think I can do it on a crf450x?
cbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:37 AM   #86
LongCliff
Bagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbomb
How much is paved? 50%? 90%?

What bike did you use?

Think I can do it on a crf450x?
Tennessee is at least 85% paved, maybe more. On the other hand, some of the dirt parts are very nice. I specifically remember a long dirt road through a forest with a lot of small wooden bridges that seemed to go on forever. I really enjoyed that.

I rode an XT225.

The CRF450x will easily do the eastern TAT. Whether it can do it with you on it's back is another question (just joking). Really, most of the eastern TAT is just well maintained gravel roads. There is one technical rocky road in Arkansas (warloop road) that I found challenging. The soft sandy and muddy roads in the Arkansas Delta and Oklahoma require moderate off-road skills in good weather, and some are probably impassable after a heavy rain.

I assume you have a license plate for your bike, and some way of carrying supplies. Also bark busters and good dot knobbies for the sand/mud.

Only concern with the CRF450x would be range. You should be ok on the eastern TAT if you plan your fuel stops. You do not have enough range for the western TAT, you would need to get an aftermarket tank or have some way of carrying extra fuel. I have a 4 gallon aftermarket tank on my XT225, and can go 250 miles between gas stops. I wouldn't want less range out west.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:50 AM   #87
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
An interview with Sam.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #88
c18797
n00b

Oddometer: 4
My buddy and I are doing the Tennessee portion in April. I have purchased the TAT maps and would like to get a hold of a GPS file. Anyone outthere willing to help us out?
c18797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #89
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Tat tn

Asking for GPS tracks of the TAT is a very touchy subject.

And if you just got the TAT maps, it wouldn't help you anyway.

Sam has done quite a bit of rerouting in TN to get more gravel... the new route charts just came out this winter, so nobody will have tracks of the new routes.

So create your own routes from the new roll charts and consider yourself lucky to get to ride the updated TAT!
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #90
c18797
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
Asking for GPS tracks of the TAT is a very touchy subject.

And if you just got the TAT maps, it wouldn't help you anyway.

Sam has done quite a bit of rerouting in TN to get more gravel... the new route charts just came out this winter, so nobody will have tracks of the new routes.

So create your own routes from the new roll charts and consider yourself lucky to get to ride the updated TAT!
Thanks for the info. I understand that people may not want to give out the files although I have seen several offering if a purchase has been made.
I was unaware that the route had changed which is good news as we were a bit discouraged at how much pavement there was going to be. Hopefully that will not be the case.
c18797 is offline   Reply With Quote