User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #1
thatguyoverthere93 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Talking Drz400s mods and gearing

I have been commuting and riding around town in my drz400s. I have a few things that I would like to change on it. I already went back to the factory "deathwing" tires. It came with old knobbys and the guy at the shop gave me left over brand new factory tires for 100$. The next thing I want to change is the gearing. I'm running with 15/49 and can go about 50-55. The only trails near me require me to do short to medium trips at highway speeds to get to them. I Was thinking about going down to 15/41 or 44. How much will that make a difference? I'm not doing too much single track trails. Mostly fire roads and commuting to work. And the last things I want to change are the seat and mount a gps. Anyone have recommendations on good seats or 12v outlets that can handle the weather? I'm sure all of this has been posted on here before and I'm sure someone will jump all over me but any recommendations or comments would be great
thatguyoverthere93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:33 PM   #2
BikePoorBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguyoverthere93 View Post
I have been commuting and riding around town in my drz400s. I have a few things that I would like to change on it. I already went back to the factory "deathwing" tires. It came with old knobbys and the guy at the shop gave me left over brand new factory tires for 100$. The next thing I want to change is the gearing. I'm running with 15/49 and can go about 50-55. The only trails near me require me to do short to medium trips at highway speeds to get to them. I Was thinking about going down to 15/41 or 44. How much will that make a difference? I'm not doing too much single track trails. Mostly fire roads and commuting to work. And the last things I want to change are the seat and mount a gps. Anyone have recommendations on good seats or 12v outlets that can handle the weather? I'm sure all of this has been posted on here before and I'm sure someone will jump all over me but any recommendations or comments would be great
The stock 15/44 gearing works very well for highway and forest service/fire roads. I've decided to change my front to a 14 as I've been doing more and more single track, and am always lugging the engine or using the clutch. Hoping this will be a good compromise, the closest trails to me are about 50 miles away.

For GPS, I have a zumo from my Harley, so I just bought another mount and wired it up, mounted with a RAM mount to the bars.
BikePoorBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:19 PM   #3
thatguyoverthere93 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePoorBob View Post
The stock 15/44 gearing works very well for highway and forest service/fire roads. I've decided to change my front to a 14 as I've been doing more and more single track, and am always lugging the engine or using the clutch. Hoping this will be a good compromise, the closest trails to me are about 50 miles away.

For GPS, I have a zumo from my Harley, so I just bought another mount and wired it up, mounted with a RAM mount to the bars.
Same here. I have about a 30-40 minute ride for the kind of roads and trails I'm looking for. Highway speed limit is 60 but with the way the hearing is now it is more stressful than fun to try and ride with traffic haha. I'm gonna try 15/44 and see how it works and go from there. Thanks.
thatguyoverthere93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #4
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,904
I'm running 14/41 combo and am pretty satisfied with the results so far. I ride a lot of roads to trail heads, so that seems to offer a good combo.

As to a 12v outlet. I don't like SAE cigarette adapters. Powerlet is the best for that kind of thing, but there are other good options depending on how you want to go.

Mounts. RAM is the best in that category.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:11 PM   #5
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePoorBob View Post
I agree, the stock 15/44 gearing is a pretty good compromise if you're spending much time on the pavement also. I drop the front to 14 (14/44) for most trail work and primarily off-road. I have a 15/42 setup if I'm going to do any extended pavement, especially freeway.

The close ratio 5spd gearbox is the Achilles heel of this bike.

For a GPS I use a Garmin 60Cx mounted on the cross bar using a Garmin's bicycle mount with spacer I made. I ran a Garmin power lead back to the battery with a fuse in it. I use a RAM ball mount on my other bikes for the same unit.

Here's a shot of it mounted on the bike.

The 60Cx uses the old round 4 pin power cable which has a super reliable connection when it comes to vibration. The mini USB connections aren't as good when it comes to vibration and staying connected and sometimes you will get power cycles which is really annoying.