User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2014, 07:17 AM   #1
RadicalTireSkid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Interesting question

Since I live in TX where it's easy to make any bike street legal. I've been wondering if anyone has ever put some neat engines on street legal dualsport bikes.

IE. Wouldn't it be cool to see a 350 twin banshee engine on a DRZ or something!?! Or even crazier like somehow finangle a 600cc sport bike engine on like a KLR haha.

I know they would be hard to make fit but that what fab skills are for.
RadicalTireSkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:25 AM   #2
MATTY
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

Oddometer: 277
Not quite in the same league you are talking, but i did put a CB 200 engine in a Honda SL 125 frame. That was a sprisingly good match i remember.
MATTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,618
One can build just about anything with enough money or enough skills...or both. The real question is it worth it? I think your idea of using a dual sport bike platform in which to install a killer engine is probably the reverse of what usually happens in a home built rig. Most...I say most...dual sport frames are older, heavier technology. Sticking a powerful, effective engine in something like that tends to be counterproductive...example, Kawasaki Z1 or H2. People usually need better handling more than they need a formula one engine stuffed in a 70's frame.

I can remember seeing an XR250R engine stuffed into a CR125R frame back in the 80's. It was a killer build that resulted in an awesome handling, tractable trail bike. The work it took to get there was extensive. These projects are not like stuffing your big block Chevy V8 into a vehicle that had a small block Chevy V8...or any similar build. On the motorcycle you have pivot points, drive chain angles, and tight spaces that are usually much more challenging than a 4-wheel vehicle. I'm not saying it rivals putting a man on the moon, but it's no cake walk to get a truly great performing motorcycle out of an effort like that.

Besides, when you can buy a fully street legal dual sport like a KTM EXC 500...and others...why waste all that time and money pursuing a questionable project? This doesn't preclude someone undertaking such a project, but if you have to ask others for advice about doing so, you're probably not that guy who will actually do it...or be able to.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote