Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2007, 10:54 AM   #166
franki
NB Rider

Oddometer: 2,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixels
Franki:

That's a stylin' ride. I'm surprised you didn't trade him straight across. That's spiritual chrome, ain't it?
You are right but the farmer think otherwise. My XL1000V is too heavy and drinks too much for the farmer to accept.
franki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 03:22 AM   #167
CrazyCarl
The Eternal NooB

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by franki
You are right but the farmer think otherwise. My XL1000V is too heavy and drinks too much for the farmer to accept.
Ain't that the truth. Between a 1000 or a 150cc bike for extended riding in Tibet, I'd take the 150. You can fix it anywhere and when you drop it, picking up and moving on is a breeze. Sometimes I'm surprised by how many photographs of exhausted riders sitting next to their tipped-over GS's can be found around the archives.

The Jialing 600 is the first of it's type and I wouldn't be to eager to start taking it out into the hinterlands without some plan for support. While it is definitely a "step up" in terms of modern Chinese produced motorcycles, if you take a careful look at it's engineering you'll notice flimsy rear frame subsection (Snap crackle pop!)...

simple rear swing arm (at least for the price)...

and less than quality looking gauges. Although in theory some part of it is produced by Siemens, I'm not sure I could read them in direct sunlight or how well they'd take exposure to the elements. The clear plastics they use here tend to scratch and fog very easily so I hope this one is different.

For more info and CAD images check out:
http://www.jialing.com.cn/newjl/cn_web/600_sx01.html

My guess is, in many developed countries you could buy a well maintined, used, parts available, Japanese bike for the same price (29800Y= ~3800USD) or less. This is waaay too expensive for 99% of the serious riders in China and approaches the cost of a small car.

If you're not riding with a heavy load on bad roads then some of this may not matter. In Xinjiang, this 600 would be the bike to have as most of the roads are nearly perfectly paved and it has a 20L tank (welcome everywhere!) . If you wanted to seriously explore the rugged Tibet/Qinghai plateau, local rides are the rub. Almost every local person (men) ride 125-150's, can fix them and find spare parts within minutes.

Actually, hanging around with small groups of random Tibetans trying to fix my bike have been some memorable times. Lots of laughing, exchanging glances, and people working together to find creative solutions. Sometimes I wish they wouldn't work so diligently and can't think of a good reason why I should be in a rush to leave, but then, the road calls.

CC
CrazyCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:32 PM   #168
britman
Britman

Oddometer: 279
Thumb Wow what a report

F'in brilliant.
britman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:45 PM   #169
franki
NB Rider

Hi CC,

You have a point here and I have the same question doublts in mind. I have been invited by Jialing to go for a test ride this weekend. I will form my own educated judgement then. Please also note that JH600 just completed their first China Darka - Cross Takalamagan dessert rally ranking no. 6 & 7. It is amazing to see these 2 bike complete the race with very limited race prep. Only change of tyre & rear sprocket.

If you are still in Chengdu, may be we can meet in Mian Yang on 28/5 so you can check it out yourself. 60 top riders from China will be there too.

Franki

franki screwed with this post 05-21-2007 at 07:30 PM
Old 05-21-2007, 12:11 AM   #170
franki
NB Rider

Here is a map of Takalamagan & one of the bike which finished #6
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2007, 12:12 AM   #171
franki
NB Rider

Here is the bike
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2007, 12:33 AM   #172
CrazyCarl
The Eternal NooB

Quote:
Hi Robert, aka BB,

You have a point here and I have the same question doublts in mind. I have been invited by Jialing to go for a test ride this weekend. I will form my own educated judgement then. Please also note that JH600 just completed their first China Darka - Cross Takalamagan dessert rally ranking no. 6 & 7. It is amazing to see these 2 bike complete the race with very limited race prep. Only change of tyre & rear sprocket.

If you are still in Chengdu, may be we can meet in Mian Yang on 28/5 so you can check it out yourself. 60 top riders from China will be there too.

Franki
Think you got your lines crossed there Franki. Anyway, Robert is hopefully at this very moment making some progress on his situation.

I've riden across the Taklamakan desert and it's a pretty fantastic place.

The route of their rally looks interesting and, I'm sure a lot of fun un-loaded.

Sounds like the event may be an invite thing only. I actually tried to contact Jialing a while ago to offer some advice (I ride their 150GY2) but they got busy with a group of representatives from South America.

When you ride it, pay special attention to the rear single pot disk brake. the 150GY2 has a disk rear (not to mention a beefier swing arm) and it's less than effective. Rotor is too small and I think the master and slave cyls are mismatched.

CrazyCarl

CrazyCarl screwed with this post 05-21-2007 at 12:41 AM
Old 05-21-2007, 08:07 AM   #173
franki
NB Rider

Sorry CC, my age has finally caught up with me

Thanks for the advise on the JH600 rear brake. I shall take a closer look in that area.

Are you stationed in China? Where?
Old 05-21-2007, 09:38 PM   #174
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Simply amazing trip.

Do you need special pants for balls that big?

Take care and keep us updated.

Tackett
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:10 PM   #175
CrazyCarl
The Eternal NooB

Stationed in Chengdu, Sichuan. Although I haven't seen a dealer here stock the JH600's I know they are available for order.

Something else to keep in mind is the diameter of the fork tubes and whether or not the front end has a fork brace. Combine rocky roads with a noodley front end and you've got one tiring (and dangerous) ride at high speed. This bike reminds me of the early 80's philosophy of japanese motorcycles...skimpy on the frame and brakes but big on the engine.

Been riding Chinese bikes for several years in China and have quite a few ideas I would like to share with their product designers...esp. in the area of safety.

CC

Quote:
Sorry CC, my age has finally caught up with me

Thanks for the advise on the JH600 rear brake. I shall take a closer look in that area.

Are you stationed in China? Where?
Old 05-22-2007, 07:56 AM   #176
franki
NB Rider

Well, the JH600 dealer is about 100km north of Chengdu in Mianyang. Our test ride starts 27/5 from Jialing factory and end up in Mianyang 29/5. If you are free, you should come and check it out. I will have my China mobile turned on from 26/5 - 13829238427.

Hope to see you there.

Franki

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCarl
Stationed in Chengdu, Sichuan. Although I haven't seen a dealer here stock the JH600's I know they are available for order.

Something else to keep in mind is the diameter of the fork tubes and whether or not the front end has a fork brace. Combine rocky roads with a noodley front end and you've got one tiring (and dangerous) ride at high speed. This bike reminds me of the early 80's philosophy of japanese motorcycles...skimpy on the frame and brakes but big on the engine.

Been riding Chinese bikes for several years in China and have quite a few ideas I would like to share with their product designers...esp. in the area of safety.

CC
Old 05-23-2007, 04:21 AM   #177
sok
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Its been a while since we heard from Beemer Boy, I hope he is ok!
sok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:00 AM   #178
strikingviking
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by sok
Its been a while since we heard from Beemer Boy, I hope he is ok!
I was thinking the same thing. There is no response on his Thai cell number. Last we heard he was in Chengdu where there are plenty of Internet connections. Any news Carl?
strikingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:47 AM   #179
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
where's Beemerboy?
KTM640ADV,KTM620DUKE projected()[COLOR=red]VF750C-96(project tracker)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-friends/158711187491373?v=wall[/URL]
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:10 AM   #180
Skitch
Riding the range

Oddometer: 1,493
Fantastic report! Certainly one of the best I've read here.
Hope all is well.
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Skitch is offline   Reply With Quote