Oddometer: 13,502
Commodore Perry in conquest of Asia, and the indigenous people

Quote:
a1fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:33 AM   #227
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,502
what about it? Looks 90% identical to GS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogus
take a look at the gas cap
a1fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:29 PM   #228
JMead11
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 2,659
Je suis d'accord avec vous.....Definately looks like the Funduro IMO.

I also am looking at this one all the time....this is a great one and I am always looking to see what happens next. Thank you for a great trip for us to all enjoy, and keep the posts coming. You are truly on a great adventure!!
JMead11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #229
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 894
650 Beemer Knockoff

Mais Non!

If anything it is going to be similar to the KLR 650. That is the lower end market they want and the Beemer does not even begin to occupy that market. There may be some visual resemblances but that is all. Street swingarm, exposed cable routing, protective items that might keep rock chips from thrown gravel from denting or putting holes in anything, etc. People who would want to purchase a BMW or KTM probably wouldn't consider either a KLR or this bike.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:43 PM   #230
JMead11
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 2,659
Yeah, but the guy with only a small bank account and looking for something with more expensive looks will go for it. That's why you can get a Harley clone from Japan for half the price. Now China may offer their version of the Funduro for half the price of a new GS. Look at the rear rack, front fender, overall shape and styling.....I can see what they are gettting at. Our adventurer here is the lucky one getting to sample the exotic foreign fare that for the moment we cannot get our hands on. Look out though, I think the Chinese will be here in force with everything they got soon. I'm envious of a guy that can show up and get handed the keys on press day. This whole thread has opened my eyes to the possibilities of Far East travel on a budget. You can't rent a bike for week in Europe for what he bought his for. Even if it doesn't last like Honda, how much longer are you going to be out there? I've been looking for a used Funduro in Europe for a while now, planning a ride there....maybe I'm looking in the wrong direction, maybe Asia would be a bigger adventure.

And if is this is the story.....

Qingqi (pronounced ching-chee) is a joint venture formed in 1985 between Jinan Qingqi and Suzuki of Japan. Suzuki products 250cc and below are manufactured by Qingqi using Suzuki technology and strict process management. Both Suzuki and Qingqi products are manufactured and assembled on the same assembly line.

Your new ride should be just fine......best to ya Beemer Boy, keep the reports coming.

JMead11 screwed with this post 06-01-2007 at 04:07 PM
JMead11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:55 PM   #231
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 894
Beemer Lookalike

BeemerBoy is very resourceful and will do just fine. Zippy gave him a lot of trouble but he overcame all of the difficulties except for the last where he was simply cheated.

My point was that the Chinese may insert their products in a market niche that is easy to gain entry with a new bike. Remember this is what Honda did in 1969. They brought in a small bike and built from there. I think the Chinese will probably do something similar. Obviously a Chinese bike, whether a knockoff or not, will have development issues and riders will have to be ready for the inevitable. It is a cheaper way to get around in China than just about anything and certainly more fun. I hope you can make a trip like BBs. You'd never forget it.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:56 AM   #232
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,117
BB, Crazy Carl tells me you are having spoke problems with the new bike. I wish you the best in a speedy repair.

You are a resilient guy so I imagine you will have 10 little China guys all over that thing doing a 30 minute repair all the while you practice English with the girls college there in town.

Anyway, in your next report how about a review and recomendation on how that HID light worked out? I'd like to try one of those light over here (socal).

Ride on.............Pete
Ratman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:23 PM   #233
Baldy
Site Owner

Oddometer: 8,906
Your commanding presence now graces our home page slideshow.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:18 PM   #234
CrazyCarl
The Eternal NooB

Oddometer: 405
BB:

Pete is a buddy of mine and mentioned the spoke problems as he's been following your story very closely cuz' he'd like to ride China also. I know it's not cool to force a story but the cat's out the bag now!

Feels like some people are hungry for an update. How about throwing a bone and posting some dazzling pictures from the new camera!

Baldy:
I think in the picture you posted BB wasn't in China yet and was crossing the border from Thailand to Laos?

CrazyC
CrazyCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:16 AM   #235
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer boy
Hey RC Mad:

I leave Chengdu headed for Xian tomorrow. Then will work my way west and then south. I have seen a couple of those giant sort of adventure trucks running around Laos. The one I looked at closely was pretty well set up inside. Are you headed to Lhasa or will you stay in the northwest part ?? Looks like we will pass each other somewhere so keep in touch. If I see your truck blasting towards me I will be sure to give it a wide berth !!
we are staying up north, i'm in dunhuang now, seen the buddist caves today. just about worth the Y180 entrance fee, looks like your having a good time food waise as well, had nothing but great food in china am heading to jiayuguan, xiahe then xian.

The truck is well equipped, all the stuff you need to survive in china, loads of beer and a fridge. I think there are tents somewhere in there as well I miss my bikes tho

As for the driver, he's much better than some of the locals
rc mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:34 AM   #236
beemer boy OP
Oh no, he's gone Asian

Oddometer: 869
Finished up the ride with a big party at the factory owned hotel named amazingly enough the Jialing Hotel. Shared a toast with the head guy of Jialing but did not get a chance to talk to him. This is Franki on the right with a fellow rider that wore green surfer shorts the whole time with knee pads over the top of them. I kept asking him if that was special Chinese safety gear. Looked pretty funny but with good knee pads probably was safe enough.

I want to add a special note of thanks to Franki who helped me endlessly with translations, adding to my enjoyment by being able to share humor both ways with these wild and crazy bikers. They may ride smaller bikes and speak Chinese, but they are just as wacky as we are !!!
I also want to add in a belated note of thanks to Crazy Carl as well. He helped me a lot while I was in Chengdu, and was instrumental in enabling me to purchase a bike. Without him I would not be still touring around China right now. Thanks my friend........

The next day everyone left so time for me to scoot on down the road. Damn, have to start paying for my meals again. Headed out in light rain, trying to find my way out of a very large confusing city. I have a GPS of course, but it does not help much in these cities, as it only gives a general direction to head on. Finally after some lucky turns I am on the way north to Xian. Some of the lush mountains along the way.

After a long days ride ended up in a medium sized town for the night. Stopped alongside the street and pulled out my Lonely Planet guide to try to find a hotel. I had a feeling they do not see many white people , because within ten minutes I had a crowd of a hundred people in a circle around me. I pantomimed for them to smile and took a shot of everyone as I was leaving. Yep, just start calling me superstar !!!

The next day was a long ride to try to get to Xian. Attempted to make it to a small town just before twilight when the bike started to feel a bit squirrely. Checked the front tire and rear , everything seemed ok. Went a ways further and it got worse. Ok, time to stop the bike and really check things out. Hey!! Ten broken spokes on the rear wheel !!! Remember this is on a bike that is ten days old, and only had only traveled on a paved road.

I think another few kilometers and the wheel would have collapsed. Am now at a really small town, basically a wide spot in the road. And now it is almost dark... And there is no place to stay... And no place to eat...It is another ten kilometers to a large town up the road. Time to work ! All the broken spokes were on the side opposite the sprocket. My first thought was to take some of the spokes from the sprocket side and transfer them over to the side with all the missing spokes. Then limp in very slowly to the large town up the road . Just as I am getting ready to work a man comes up and motions that there is a shop fifty meters up the road. So I walk the bike down there to find a closed shop. No problem, this is a small town. A phone call, and the mechanic shows up in five minutes. He then takes spokes that were too long and clips them shorter using a pair of side cutters. Not the toughest spokes in the world..... Here he is working away at night time.

He seemed to be well on the way to fixing it. Hate to hover over someones shoulder when they are working, so time to tour the little town... Here are some of the local kids who must have thought I was the greatest entertainment that ever showed up in this town.

Late at night did you ever wonder where dried mushrooms come from? Well, wonder no more, as it seemed to be the main product of this town. Here are some very nice ladies filling up giant bags with
mushrooms.

Finally after two hours of work the bike is done, with in essence a temporary fix to get me to the next town. I then asked how much for all the work. The answer? Fifteen yuan. About two US dollars.
Let's recap here. Before I was broken down in a tiny town and could not go on. The mechanic then shows up from home to fix it and get me rolling again. I tried to pay him fifty yuan but he refused. I was finally able to force him to take twenty yuan. I shook his hand, big smiles all around , and I am off.
Into pitch darkness, something you never want to do here unless you really have to. Hey, here is my chance to test out the new HID light I put in. It worked very well as you can see here. Had a feeling it was going to get some usage on this trip. So was able to slowly make my way to the next town and a good nights sleep.

beemer boy screwed with this post 01-25-2014 at 09:26 AM
beemer boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:51 AM   #237
beemer boy OP
Oh no, he's gone Asian

Oddometer: 869
The next morning went to a local shop in town that did a much better temp repair while I had my standard dumpling breakfast. So now off for the final leg into Xian, a distance of about 200 kilometers.
Sunny day, and a beautiful windy road through a canyon with a river running through it. The repair is holding up pretty well, but I can tell the wheel is WAY out of round. So off I go. First stop along the way is a bee production facility, meaning some boxes alongside the road......

No that is not dust on my lens.... The air is thick with bees !!!

Here honey is being extracted.

Here they are extracting royal jelly I think. I purchased a jar of it for 100 yuan.

Working away.

As I am watching them work through a cloud of bees I use hand gestures to indicate
I would like to come over and see what they are doing but am afraid of being stung to death....
They start laughing and wave me over. They were right , the bees seemed to have very little interest in me. Then I wanted to get a closer look at the boxes where the bees were really thick, so they gave me a bee keeper hat. Their faces really lit up with smiles when I put it on.

Of course after my free bee tour I had to buy some honey.

The send off by the bee people. We never exchanged any words, but had a lot of laughs.
I kept examining them for stings, never saw a single one.

The very pleasant road towards Xian.

Wide load. These trucks were tough to pass...

The endless rolling green mountains.

Hey !! A granite factory !! Time for another one of my free self guided tours. Here the saw is cutting up huge granite boulders.

Close up.

Sliced up.

Polishing time. I went over to him, put my hand around his bicep, and then struck a muscle man pose to indicate how strong he must be to work that machine every day. That got a smile from him.

Finished product. The manager was so pleased that I would take the time to photograph his operation
he wanted to give me a souvenir piece of granite. I had to politely decline , showing him by hand gestures that I was trying to travel light !!

Fellow bikers along the way at a small cute town having lunch. Think I am looking taller than usual.

His bike, which was styled a bit like the Jialing 600. It was a Suzuki 650.

Some more bikers that were hanging out in the stream next to the road. As soon as they saw me they waved me to come on down. Hot feet in a cool stream?? Sure !!!

The final really scenic road that drops down into Xian. Except I was not paying that much attention to the scenery as more of the temp spokes on my bike had broken, and now the wheel was really wobbling. And there were huge drop offs next to the road, a really bad place to have a total wheel failure....

beemer boy screwed with this post 01-25-2014 at 08:26 PM
beemer boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:36 AM   #238
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,064
Laugh Right on!

Hooray!

I just re-found this thread. A lot has happend in the past weeks.
High altitude adventures, retreat / advance in another direction, regroup, and more adventures.

It seems like you are getting the whole experience.
I'm jealous.

Enjoy the new bike, with that snazzy HID!
($45 bucks? Sure good idea!)

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:41 AM   #239
oldkrank
Not to be confused

Oddometer: 39
Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to share your adventure. Great pictures. It world might be a better place if all our diplomats rode motorbikes.
oldkrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:17 AM   #240
RobZim
No, I'm not me.

Oddometer: 3,161
This is very definatley first class entertainment. Makes me want to throw away the television.
RobZim is offline   Reply With Quote