Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2007, 06:06 PM   #256
Ridesolo
cereal lurker

Oddometer: 166
thanks for taking us along on your ride. It is really relaxing looking at pictures and reading your report after a hard day work.
Ridesolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:09 PM   #257
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,551
I just caught up with this thread. Freakin' awesome! Thanks for taking us with you, BB!

I'll be in Vietnam early next year and will probably swing through Thailand before heading back to the US. I'll let you know more details once I've got them.

Best of luck on your travels!
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:59 PM   #258
Canukwaco
I stole this avitar

Oddometer: 133
Amazing report sir! I was so disapointed to come to the last page! Looking forward in seeing more!!!! (esp. the food pics!!! )
1999 Toyota 4Runner Highlander
Canukwaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:38 AM   #259
tommcbride
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
Robert,
Absolutely magnificent report.
Thank you for taking the time to have us along with you!!!
We are anxious for every installment you submit.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:44 AM   #260
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:56 AM   #261
franki
NB Rider

Oddometer: 2,017
No news is good news for BB.
I believe he has become the new superstar in China because I told the media that he is the last great white hunter(biker) trying to explore the wild wild east. See pic for proof
Attached Images

franki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:25 AM   #262
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpothoven
THE definition of Adventure Rider IMO!
Hell yah. This ride report is insane

Love the mark twain quote too!
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:15 AM   #263
GypsyRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Hope you're OK after your (second) accident...

Hi Robert,
I just read DavidFL's message that he posted on the GT-R board tonight with the news that you just had an accident (with a tractor?). Hope you're OK and that your new bike isn't too badly damaged. Have been greatly enjoying your RR and hope this unfortunate incident won't mean the end of the trip for you (and RR for us...). Look forward to catching up with you when you get back to CNX.
cheers!
GypsyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:27 PM   #264
franki
NB Rider

BB hurt his knee and waiting for CT scan report to determin if he should stay or sell the bike to head home.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:33 PM   #265
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Good luck, BB!

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:41 PM   #266
franki
NB Rider

I have called out for help to the Chinese bikers in Xian and they should be getting in touch with Robert right now. He needs a translator
Old 06-08-2007, 09:44 PM   #267
tommcbride
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
Robert, I think I speak for us all when I say We hope you are alright and not seriously injured!
Old 06-09-2007, 01:17 AM   #268
britman
Britman

Oddometer: 279
Thanks for the update and you helping BB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franki
BB hurt his knee and waiting for CT scan report to determin if he should stay or sell the bike to head home.
We need more RR from him.
britman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:49 AM   #269
beemer boy OP
Oh no, he's gone Asian

Oddometer: 867
My brother Mark decided I was having too much fun in China, so he flew into Xian last week. He then bought the same bike I have, pretty much doing it the same way by putting it in the name of a local person. Now time to pay up !!

The next day we are riding around together when his bike dies in a busy round about. There is 16 kilometers on the clock.....By the side of the road we start to diagnose it. Turns out whoever connected the positive terminal to the battery had it next to the hold down clamp. Instant short after a bit of vibration. Think this error was done at the dealer.

New battery and new regulator and the bike is fine again. Mark is still a bit suspicious of its long term reliabity however....Here he is supposed to look angry at the bike but a smile popped out anyway.

The next day off to the terra cota soldiers. It was quite impressive in its uniqueness. Here is a variety of shots. This is the main pit with the most soldiers.

A bit closer.

Row at the front.

A lot of them are missing heads.

Close up. Every single face is different, and was modeled from a live soldier at the time.

Here Mark wanted photographic proof for his friends that he was there....

Ones that had a tougher life waiting in the pits for 2000 years. Some of the roofs over them had collapsed.

A chromed spear. All the metal battle gear taken from the warriors was in perfect condition. The organic bows did not make it however.

Mark chilling with a soldier.

Horses for the soldiers?? No problem, got those too..

Inside the main museum there are some display items behind glass. This is one of two scale models showing some horses pulling a chariot. It is just about half scale. All the terra cota soldiers were full size, in fact slightly larger than the standard warrior of the time. This was to show strength, that they were the best of the best.

On the way to see the soldiers had an odd incident happen. Two lane road with light traffic. About a 1.5 meter wide road shoulder with a painted line to divide it from the highway. I am riding along at maybe 50 kilometers per hour just inside the painted line on the side of the highway. Suddenly a small compact car zooms on past me, cuts over to the shoulder right in front of me, and then brakes hard to a stop in the middle of the shoulder. WTF ??? There is no road to turn off onto, or reason for him to stop like that. I jam the brakes and come to a stop inches from him, as close to a crash as I want to come. It is exactly like he was trying to force me to hit the back of him. Yes, it is now time for ROAD RAGE ......I walked my bike forward to his window, and told him in english using short words what I thought of his driving. He kept saying sorry, sorry.
He has his window rolled part way down. I finished my diatribe, and then smacked the side of his car with my flat hand to show I was done..... He then yells something back in Chinese. I take off down the road while he sits there. He then motors off , and as he is passing me veers in close to scare me. Guess he does not know me very well.... Using arm gestures I invite him to come back where we can finish the discussion but he apparently declines. One of the worst bits of driving I have ever seen. No pictures.

beemer boy screwed with this post 01-25-2014 at 05:53 PM
beemer boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 03:25 AM   #270
beemer boy OP
Oh no, he's gone Asian

Oddometer: 867
The next day we are packed up and ready to head north towards the desert. As I am checking out of the hotel I find out they are charging me for the water in the room. The bottles had the tag on of them of " With compliments". Big discussion at the front desk, and the manager was called over. I showed them in my dictionary that the word meant free. She looked very dissappointed and stuck it off my bill. Not a lot of money, but just seemed odd to me. All good hotels give free water in the room as the tap water is not drinkable. This was a three star hotel by the way.

Standard departure picture.

We are about fours hours traveling out of the city. It is a two lane country road with mild farm activity. I am riding in front, and the road is making a slow bend to the left. The is a house at the end of the curve, completely blocking the entry road next to it. Next thing I know this blue farm truck pops out behind the house and is right in my lane. I only had about one second to lock the brakes to try to take some speed off before I hit him.

I was knocked unconscious a few seconds. Woke up in severe pain, and could hear the engine of my bike screaming at high rpm as it was laying on its side. My brother came up a few seconds later and turned the bike off. I was too stunned to get up , and just laid there in the road. Finally checked everything in my body which seemed fine except for some major knee pain, then got up and hobbled to the side of the road. Traffic was blocked in both directions so pretty soon there is a huge crowd gathered to carefully watch the injured foreigner.

They would not move the bike, as they were waiting for the police to show up to analyse the accident scene and determine who was at fault and have to pay. It looked sad lying there with oil pouring out of it.

I would have been traveling the the same direction as the red buses. He just came out of nowhere from behind the house on the road to the left, never even slowing down as he came to the main road.

You can see the skid marks where I tried to stop before hitting him.

Hmmm my leg feels a bit wet inside. Ok, that is expained by lots of blood running down it. I was wearing First Gear mesh pants with padded knees. Did not stop my knee from being punctured, think I will wear armor in the future....

Tried to use pressure bandages to stop it but could not. Made for a dramatic sight while I was negotiating with the policeman and farmer for damages.

The policemen who showed up after about a hour and a half had no problem in determining who was at fault. Let the bargaining begin !!!!! He asked me with sign language how much money I wanted from the farmer for damages. In China this is settled on the spot if both parties are agreeable. If not they impound both vehicles for a week while they settle later. So there is a lot of pressure to complete matters quickly. I wrote down 3000 yuan . The farmer looked at it, started ranting in Chinese and then wrote down 1000 yuan. I laughed and walked away from such a miserable offer. The farmer looked worried now and offer 1900 yuan. It was getting so bizarre at this point, and my pain was increasing by the minute, so I agreed. And finally in the wierdest moment the policeman wants me to load my bike in the same truck that just smashed me so he can take me to the local small town. I looked at him in disbelief, then walked over and kicked the truck to show what I thought of it. The policeman smiled , and then loaded my injured bike into his police truck.

beemer boy screwed with this post 01-25-2014 at 06:21 PM
beemer boy is offline   Reply With Quote