ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
bluebird120 OP
Farts Are Funny

Oddometer: 93
adirondack park ny...good dirt roads

im headed from ct up through adirondack park in ny and ending just north of saranac lake, anyone have any info on some good dirt roads? going to be trying to avoid as much pavement as possible. i have never been up in that area and am trying to figure some route ideas. any help would be great.
bluebird120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:22 AM   #2
RJP
Time-Deficient Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Dacks D/S

I have found there are few "through" dirtroads in the Dacks in the high peaks area. The dirt usually ends at a trailhead.

I believe there are no legal public ATV trails in NY.

Try heading through eastern Mass on the way through. As long as it's past May 1st, you can take a detour through select state forests w/D/S.

BTW - In CT, there are many dirt roads in Roxbury, Litchfield, Washington, etc. Last weekend explored "dashed" lines in this area and stayed off pavement for much of the day. I was reasearching "put-in" and "take-out" points for kayaking, but enjoyed the inbetween.

Just my 2cents...
02 TTR-125LP
RJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:30 AM   #3
RJP
Time-Deficient Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
CT Ride

Here are a few Route pieces of CT 250 mile kayak recon loop.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx CT Roads Kayak Recon.gpx (184.8 KB, 265 views)
02 TTR-125LP
RJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:57 AM   #4
bluebird120 OP
Farts Are Funny

Oddometer: 93
cool thanks for the info. guess we'll just hope to hit as little pavement as possible. it's going to be the weekend of the april 28th so that that rules out the mass parks(maybe).
bluebird120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:44 PM   #5
conibear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
There is the Powley - Piseco road which paralells Route 10 from Salisbury to Piseco (it might not yet be open by the 28th) A little out of your way but there is also a long dirt route from Big Moose, Stillwater, then down along the Beaver River (Soft Maple - Effey Falls).

Plenty of legal atv trails around outside the park that are do-able on a bike. Norway - Salisbury area, Tug Hill, Brasher Falls....
conibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:16 AM   #6
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJP
Here are a few Route pieces of CT 250 mile kayak recon loop.
hmmm
not really tracks... bunch of waypoints, but not really connected.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:44 PM   #7
conibear
Gnarly Adventurer

Mostly Southern / Western routes and tracks, but I will add them here for anyone looking for some ADK or close to ADK dirt routes.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx ADK Dirt Routes.gpx (782.1 KB, 1056 views)
Old 04-25-2007, 04:45 PM   #8
conibear
Gnarly Adventurer

Some Tug Hill routes and tracks.....
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Tug Hill Routes.gpx (495.6 KB, 649 views)
Old 04-25-2007, 04:48 PM   #9
ny-wolcott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 921
Just for your info....Motor vehicles are not allowed ANYWHERE on public lands in Adirondack Park - except on public roads (paved and dirt) if it is fully licensed, etc.
ny-wolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:05 PM   #10
witty username
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by conibear
There is the Powley - Piseco road which paralells Route 10 from Salisbury to Piseco (it might not yet be open by the 28th).
I was just on this road and as of this weekend and even though it was 70+ degrees for a few days the southern part was still under snow. Not deep, but wet and icy from the 4wd traffic. The car tracks were starting to get real muddy also, which made for some interesting traction. Can image it is worse up where it hits route 10. Might be OK by the time you are ready to go, but... Nice country through there, you can't beat that fresh air.
witty username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:10 PM   #11
witty username
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird120
im headed from ct up through adirondack park in ny and ending just north of saranac lake, anyone have any info on some good dirt roads? going to be trying to avoid as much pavement as possible. i have never been up in that area and am trying to figure some route ideas. any help would be great.

You might also want to look at Military Road. It runs part dirt/part paved/part seasonal from Hinckley NY down to around Dolgeville. Sometimes it is not marked on maps, but where it seems to end that is the seasonal part. However Dolgeville is just on the southern border of the park so it might be out of your way. just an FYI

I was also on the seasonal part of this road this week and it too is icy/ and muddy.
witty username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:39 AM   #12
conibear
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by witty username
You might also want to look at Military Road. It runs part dirt/part paved/part seasonal from Hinckley NY down to around Dolgeville. Sometimes it is not marked on maps, but where it seems to end that is the seasonal part. However Dolgeville is just on the southern border of the park so it might be out of your way. just an FYI

I was also on the seasonal part of this road this week and it too is icy/ and muddy.
4/21 - part of Military Road....

Old 04-26-2007, 04:49 AM   #13
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,030
Gonna be soft up there for a while still. And greasy.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:24 AM   #14
walrond
Earth Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,063
Conibear, Thanks for posting those GPX files. I just moved to Watertown in January and have been looking forward to heading over to the ADK state park. Do you think I will be able to get away with Tourance tires or should I get some TKCs?
Old 04-27-2007, 09:53 AM   #15
conibear
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrond
Conibear, Thanks for posting those GPX files. I just moved to Watertown in January and have been looking forward to heading over to the ADK state park. Do you think I will be able to get away with Tourance tires or should I get some TKCs?
Inside the park the legal truck trails and seasonal roads should be in good shape and pretty easy riding (once the frost goes out). Outside the park it is possible to find a few muddy and narrow atv trails where a knobbier tire would help.