User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2007, 08:17 PM   #76
Bajafrijol
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hey, Señor Johnny Dakar-

I was just reading your report- it is great.

BTW- I am Alberto, Sabrina's husband.

It was a pleasure meeting you both at the beginning of your trip. Please don't leave us all hanging on the remaining details of your fantastic Baja journey.

I DO still have my KTM 950...what I don't have anymore is the KLR 650 (my best friend has it).

I hope you will want to continue your adventures in Baja and will let us know when you plan to come down again. A group of us ride the nearby roads of the wine country...we could end with a 'carne asada' and Pacíficos at the ranch...Mi casa es su casa.

Thank you for including us in your write-up.

Alberto
Bajafrijol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:46 PM   #77
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,481
As we say in Boston "This is a wicked pissa ride report". Thanks!
Old 05-23-2007, 09:00 AM   #78
Fauster
BACON AKBAR!

Oddometer: 468
Well, those first 77 posts killed a boring morning at work. Looking forward to more so I can make it through Friday afternoon!

And there's nothing wrong with being an obsessive planner. How did we survive before the net put all of this information at our fingertips?

PA ADVrider Relay Rider
Fauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:54 AM   #79
nwgs
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,362

The List
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:56 AM   #80
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:46 AM   #81
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,276
see

waiting.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:19 AM   #82
Johnny Dakar OP
Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer: 13,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajafrijol
Hey, Señor Johnny Dakar-

I was just reading your report- it is great.

BTW- I am Alberto, Sabrina's husband.

It was a pleasure meeting you both at the beginning of your trip. Please don't leave us all hanging on the remaining details of your fantastic Baja journey.

I DO still have my KTM 950...what I don't have anymore is the KLR 650 (my best friend has it).

I hope you will want to continue your adventures in Baja and will let us know when you plan to come down again. A group of us ride the nearby roads of the wine country...we could end with a 'carne asada' and Pacíficos at the ranch...Mi casa es su casa.

Thank you for including us in your write-up.

Alberto
Muchas gracias, amigo. Mucho gusto.
"Just sharing this quiet time is intimate, our tent, our bikes and our faces illuminated by yellow light from the fire. This is why we travel. To experience those rare moments of perfection of solitude of life."
-Simon Thomas
Johnny Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 12:43 PM   #83
Gary B.
Older than dirt...

Oddometer: 542
Thanks, Johnny. I pissed away a good chunk of an afternoon reading this thread, and I have stuff to do! Honey-do list is a mile long and I'm reading about someone else's ride
Thanks, and keep up the writing!
"Male menopause is a lot more fun than female menopause. With female menopause you gain weight and get hot flashes. Male menopause ? you get to date young girls and drive motorcycles."----- John Wayne

DR stands for "Daily Rider"

'06 Suzuki DR650SE
'06 Kawasaki Concours - 2up Cruiser
'99 Yamaha YZ400
'05 KTM 125SX-SOLD!!!
'90 KTM LC4-the bike's gone, but the memory remains, along with the oil spots on the floor
Gary B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:26 PM   #84
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dakar
Muchas gracias, amigo. Mucho gusto.
JD:

Are you done with that obsession yet? Git on back to yer own Ride Report and wrap it up, the suspense is killin' me!

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:59 PM   #85
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,498
Incredible Report, man! Waiting for more!!!!!!!

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:13 PM   #86
worldrider
Adventure & Discovery

Oddometer: 1,218
Great stuff JD... now you're ready for a jump over the pond, eh?

Thanks for sharing!

'05 F650GS Dakar

My WorldRider Journey ADVrider Thread
worldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #87
Johnny Dakar OP
Fuckin' Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldrider
Great stuff JD... now you're ready for a jump over the pond, eh?

Thanks for sharing!
That's right, Allan. The next step is detailing my car in the next couple of days. The step after that is selling it.

I should probably come up with a budget.

Are you still in Buenos Aires? Always wanted to go there.
"Just sharing this quiet time is intimate, our tent, our bikes and our faces illuminated by yellow light from the fire. This is why we travel. To experience those rare moments of perfection of solitude of life."
-Simon Thomas
Old 05-26-2007, 08:30 PM   #88
worldrider
Adventure & Discovery

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dakar
That's right, Allan. The next step is detailing my car in the next couple of days. The step after that is selling it.

I should probably come up with a budget.

Are you still in Buenos Aires? Always wanted to go there.
Yeah. It's my favorite city and I'll likely buy an apartment there.

You need to check out this place. I mean CHECK IT OUT!

But I've broken through the Argentinian border and after a week exploring the Uruguayan coast, I'm happy to report I'm in Brazil. Been here for 4 days now and tomorrow should be at the Foz do Iguazu - the greatest waterfalls on earth I'm told... we'll see... and the photos will follow...

good luck on getting top dollar for the 4wheeler.... you must be getting psyched...

ran into a guy who spend a month in Mongolia... sounds incredible.. might have to be part of the world tour, no?

keep me posted!

'05 F650GS Dakar

My WorldRider Journey ADVrider Thread
worldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:54 PM   #89
Johnny Dakar OP
Fuckin' Smartass

SEÑOR FLAT TIRE, MEET SEÑOR MARTÍN.

So just a fantastic day’s riding…the only downside being that it was almost over, and we still weren’t sure where were going, and we needed gas. We’d been told in the prep that there was usually “back of a pickup truck" gas to be had at the turnoff to Coco’s Corner…but we’d stopped and conversed with folks there, and they told us the next gas was about 10 miles down the road.

30 miles later…

We pull up at a Pemex at the turnoff to Bahía de los Angeles…well, it had a Pemex sign…ok, well not a sign, per se, but the logo was painted on the building.—or rather, what was left of the unfinished building.

And there was this:

Sort of makes you think about what the requirements for being a Pemex station really are…sell gas and have a Pemex sign. Who needs pumps and cash registers?

The gas was sold by an older man and his grandson, Martín. Martín was eleven. He had a slingshot, and was keen on demonstrating his enormous prowess with it. He got our attention, and when he’d made sure we were watching, he fired a rock at a telephone pole about thirty feet away. THWACK. Dead center. We all laughed—and I think Martín took it the wrong way, because he offered the slingshot to Clay, as a challenge. “Oh shit, you better not miss now,” I said. “Time to earn that laughter.”

But since it was Clay, the natural athlete, master of all things physical , BAP! He nailed it first go. Now Martín could laugh with us.

Laughs and slingshots and tanks topped off, it was time to go. Since we were here, we decided to just cut east and hit L.A. Bay for the evening. It was a bit of an ADVRider legendary location—a place I’d seen more than once in Ride Reports, and I was really excited about seeing it.

At least I was until Martín pointed this out to me:

Not sure if you can really tell by this photo, but my rear tire? FLAT. Oh well. We had everything we needed to patch it and refill it. While I’d never done it before, I had every confidence that we’d be able to pull it off. Clay was anxious. “Shit,” he said. “We can do this, but we’re going to have to hurry. It’s going to be dark in a couple of hours, and we have forty miles to cover, and I don’t want to ride at night.” I sensed his urgency, and we got to work. We got the bike up on it’s centerstand and found the puncture. It was about an inch long piece of metal—like a broken piece of fence or something. I pulled it out of the tread with my leatherman. I’d have snapped a pic, but we were in a hurry. I hadn’t noticed that little Martín had run off. I noticed it when he came back. Just as I opened my tank bag to pull out my tools, he comes roaring up in an ancient pickup truck loaded with tools and an air compressor.

He proudly jumped out of the cab and grabbed the pull start to the old Briggs & Stratton engine powering the compressor. First yank: nothing. His grandfather started helping him.

I had no idea why this kid was doing this.

Clay figured it out first: “Oh hey—it’s a tire repair truck! What the hell?”

I asked Martín if this was his truck. He nodded proudly, only to be loudly rebuked by his grandfather—“Es de mí padre,” he confessed, and unsuccessfully yanked the pull-start again.

“Dónde está tú padre?” I asked.

“Allí,” he said, pointing across the highway at a group of shacks about a hundred yards down the road, and ripped the pullstarter one more time.

The air compressor roared to life, and Clay yelled, “If that thing’ll hold air, you can ride over there and get it fixed by the pro.”

So we filled it, checked the pressure, and despite hearing a hiss coming from it, I went for it. “Go go go!” Clay yelled. I motioned to Martín (who seemed quite disappointed), shouted, “Vaya conmigo!” hopped aboard, looked left, looked right, and bombed diagonally across Mexico 1 for the Llantera. By the time I reached it, the rear was flat again, but I made it. Martín slid to a stop in the gravel next to me, compressor still running, leapt from the truck and ran inside their claptrack compound to get his father.

It was all quite terribly dramatic, for fixing a flat.

Martín’s father came out…a burly young man. I shook his hand, introduced myself and Clay, then asked his name.

“Martín,” he said.

Well of course it was. Never asked the older man’s name…probably didn’t have to.

Martín’s truck was there with his tools and his compressor was running. He went to work.

And work he did. I felt sorry for my bike.

In less than fifteen minutes, he removed my rear tire, deflated it, broke the seal, pulled out the tube, scored it, patched it, lubed it, replaced it, popped the tire back on, and had it on my bike and aligned.

It would’ve taken Clay and I at least four times as long. I asked him if he did much work during the Baja 1000. His only reply was a large grin.

“Cuanto?” I asked.

“Ciento cincuenta pesos.” 150 Pesos. Fifteen bucks. I gave him 200 and a heartfelt “¡Muchas gracias, amigo!”

Hell, I’d have paid him that just to watch him work. It was that amazing.

“Alright, Homeslice,” Clay said, pulling on his helmet. “We don’t have much time before dark. Let’s hit it hard. Ride fast.”

The last picture I took between Mexico 1 and L.A. Bay:

Nice riding weather…here at least.

Johnny Dakar screwed with this post 05-27-2007 at 12:33 AM
Old 05-27-2007, 12:19 AM   #90
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,538
Oh shit, I've reached the end of the report. Loved your story, I hope there is more to come. Crankytown, I've been there, ask my wife.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote