User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2007, 01:50 PM   #1
Possu OP
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,218
UK AdvRider Rally - Rhayader, Wales

Just returned from an excellent two days of riding in a remarkably dry Welsh landscape - for those who are familiar with Wales, you'll apprecaite how rare two consecutive dry days are.

The event was organised by my other half (the misinformed refer to her as my "better" half), Ela aka Pumpy. She did a recce run a week ago & confirmed that it was suitable for GS's etc.

We met up in Rhayader (map to follow) after riding up from Oxford. Everyone else was camping with Pumpy & myself taking the soft option of a local B&B, a decision we don't regret, it's just that we could have chosen a better place to stay.

I'll leave the route explanation to Pumpy later as I did not take a map or GPS, being content to follow the others. My few photos are here:

http://possu.smugmug.com/gallery/2745346#145864982

Couple of favourites:

Pumpy having dropped her GS after failing to ensure adequate sidestand clearance

Dr Rich & his "farkled up" 12GS taking a breather:

Hopefully this will work out. I took a few short movies on my digicam & uploaded them on to YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohY5uHKYE8Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48GkVvudnxY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQvENtqhLIg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2BnDjODcSY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90DY3cXln9U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SblSchffsec
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkbeB3KQW-Y

Saturday's riding was great but was eclipsed by Sunday's Strata Florida ride. It was a shame that Dr Rich had already gone home as he alone would have provided hours of amusement on Sunday's ride.

Big thankyou to Pumpy, Dr Rich & Rocks for arranging it all and to everyone who attended - same again later in the year.

Would appreciate someone confirming that the YouTube videos are viewable, I'm a bit of a YouTube n00b - thanks.

Possu screwed with this post 04-22-2007 at 02:47 PM
Possu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:54 PM   #2
the white rabbit
Vicarious

Oddometer: 3,051
Love this pic, submitted to front page photo candidates

the white rabbit screwed with this post 04-22-2007 at 02:06 PM
the white rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:56 PM   #3
Possu OP
de-nOObed!

Read my recently edited post Rich.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
the white rabbit
Vicarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu
Read my recently edited post Rich.

I take it was 'tricky' then? Or not completely easy?

Edit...just watched the vids. Tea and cake at Mum's was the better choice

Excellent!!!!

the white rabbit screwed with this post 04-22-2007 at 02:18 PM
Old 04-22-2007, 02:38 PM   #5
Possu OP
de-nOObed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rich

I take it was 'tricky' then? Or not completely easy?

Edit...just watched the vids. Tea and cake at Mum's was the better choice

Excellent!!!!
You'd have ridden home very wet & with a need to visit a BMW parts dep't imminently.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,854
Looks like a great rally! Thanks for the pics and the links
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:01 PM   #7
rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
I dont think he would have been the only one..

I dont think he would have been the only one Possu..

Adventure Rider Rally : April 2007 – Rhayader, Mid Wales

Indeed, a big thankyou to everyone who turned up. Especially Pumpy (Ela) for her great off road ride on the Saturday. Sorry I bailed on Sunday, but in hindsight was a wise choice.
A big thankyou to DrRich for originally posting the idea and for all the folks who joined us on the campsite and didn’t take the softy ;) option.

Possu and Loz cheers for the tyre help. Looks like the guys who ventured out on Sunday had fun.

This was the base of operations for the weekend.

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?local=h&scale=25000&lon=-3.51191436933457&lat=52.3004433585609&icon=x"

Those of us camping stayed here : http://www.wyesidecamping.co.uk/

Arrived on Friday and booked into the campsite around 5.30pm

Tent/tarp up and awaiting the arrival of Septic.. hmm he running late..

The masses start to gather.. still no Septic..

We have the campsite almost entirely to our selfs.. just a couple of other people..

It starting to get darker and foraging parties start to gather.. in search of food and . Just before dark Septic rolls in with the first flat tyre of the event.. loz is the last to arrive mounted in his trusty sprinter van with new KTM lurking in the rear and armed with a BMW puncture repair kit, a can of fruit.

Saturday morning Septics 1150 looking a little low at the rear end..

Insomnia is a bitch.. but might as well take a few piccies of the bikes and early morning campers, still wet with dew. Apart from a few puddles, this was really the most moisture we had all weekend. Wales in the dry

Some time before 9.00am the tents start to stir..

Some lovely bikes have turned out. This one was sporting a new KTM slick..

More photos to follow..
Old 04-22-2007, 03:06 PM   #8
rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Part 2..

Dr Riches 1200 penned in by KTM's..

The masses begin to stir.. caffiene refuelling begins in earnest.

A trusty yamaha..

Tent city..

Loz's trusty sprinter..

The River Wye and name for the camp site.. picturesque apart from the wood peckers..
Old 04-22-2007, 03:10 PM   #9
rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Part 3

A nice selection of bikes and gear..
Old 04-22-2007, 03:24 PM   #10
rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Part4

Trusty DRZ being the smallest of the bunch, but went like a train all weekend..

My GS sporting Tiger motif and striking blue ortlieb water bag..

Dr Rich's well Farkled 1200.. soon to sport new light brown highlighting

Another lovely KTM640 sporting its kevlar protection..

Carrier bag is optional..

Septic cannot resist the call of caffiene any longer..

Hmmmmmm

Adventure riders trully roughing it in the depths of mid wales.. lol. Where did I put that kitchen sink..

Hot porridge and coffee.. wonderful way to start the day.. (DrRich et al.. went into town to the cafe.. ).

Riders begin to gear up, fuelled, fed and some sporting hangovers..

Septic goes in search of new tyre valve.. Loz kindly taxi-ing him to the garage and back. New valve fitted and tyre inflated.

Septic re-fitted tyre under close supervision and with assistance of some witt..

The riders fed watered and ready start to gather for Pumpy's epic off road tour.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:32 PM   #11
rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Part5

Unfortanetly I didnt get many pictures of the tracks as I was almost certainly the slowest rider, but the routes was great fun.
I will leave it too Pumpy to give out the route details if she chooses, but suffice to say it was great fun for me. A bit of dirt and gravel and lovely small lanes.
Unfortanetly Rheases, KTM slick gave out near the start and he retired to town to search for a replacement. Whilst we waited to find out as the sweepers assist him there was time to enjoy the scenery..

After a while the sweepers (we were using the drop off system as we had such a big group..) arrived and onwards we swept/rattled/slipped/slided and Dr Rich fell off.
I wish I had a video camera..
Old 04-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #12
rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Part6

we headed over a variet of roads/tracks and byways with a the occasional U-turn thrown in a a kick.

A brief rest-bite and recoupe before the arm wrenching fun begins again..

We met a few other two wheeled forms of transport on here.. sometimes a little close for comfort.

From right to left : Pumpy (Our ride leader), Loz, Septic and Dr Rich..

A little later on we paused to regroup at a junction of a couple of tracks and a few people just couldnt resist the challenge..lol.. its steeper than it looks..

Going up...

Coming down..

Show off..

Pumpy stands by with camera for the carnage scene, but it never comes..

By now my arms and legs are killing me.. bar risers and lower pegs are on my list. The routes drops through a forrested section which was stunning. A few more walkers and bicycles about, but we are all having fun.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:27 PM   #13
rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Part7

We headed to Tre-r-ddol for lunch at the Cafe at the Garage and refuelled bikes and bellies.
Our missing KTM640 rider was located with new tyre and due to meet up with us after lunch..
We had due to aslight navigation error run over one part of the afternoons tracks already in which Dr Rich had obliged by laying the 1200 down on a lovely striated rocks steps and re-modelled a rear indicator. (Hope someone got a piccies.. I was too busy working out how on earth I was gong to get going again having stopped at the bottle neck.. lol)

We eventually all arrived at a track junction where several of us who were feeling the worse for wear left the more experience riders to pursue the severe track once more whilst we took an "easier" option.. which was great fun and a little shorter. We met a group of 4x4 going the other way fortunately at a junction..

We reached Nant-y-moch resvoir and stopped at the carp park to wait for the others..

About 20 mins had passed and Pumpy and Dr Rich went back in search of the missing experienced group..

They arrived having suffered a few misshaps,, one 1200GSA had gone exploring and was having a spot of front brake trouble and Possu had had a puncture which was remedied with aid from the 4x4 guys we had passed earlier..

Pumpy leads the delayed party across the resevoir..

Pumpy on point..

Possu, DrRich and others arrive in close pursuit..

A short break for the late runners..

DrRich and his 1200 sportting a light brown dust and mud highligt.. this years adventure riders summer seasons must have.. My manderin GS looking a lot cleaner than his really was..

From Nant-y-moch we head back to the campsite via the wonderful ystwyth valley, my old house at Ponterywyd and then devils bridge (not in that order..lol)..

I had booked tables for the group at the Castle Pub.. following a quick shower and de-kit we headed in to town..

The castle do one mean mixed grill.. there is liver, gammon and a pork chop hiding under the chips.. (Before !)

What a happy bunch of people..

After..
After a great meal in great company Septic and I staggered back to the campsite for late evening tea and bed.. before hitting the sack I remarked in passing whilst looking at my bike.. "i will be amazed if I havent got a flat tyre by morning"..

(Sunday Morning): Note rear tyre...looking a bit soft.. yep, sometimes I should keep my trap shut.

A shiny triumph tigre, KTM and 1100 in the sun shine on sunday morning.

By last nights accounts this bike had recently suffered an interfacing with a car during filtering.. luckily both bike and rider seems no worse for wear.

Sunday morning campsite..

As I said Insomnia is a pain.. but did get to listen to the woodpeckers again.. and look at things such as this little plant growning by the river side..

Even spotted a couple of trout in the river.. water levels looking low though for this time of year..

Starting to break camp.. very slowely. A smaller group are heading out off roading today and a few head in for a breakfast in town at the cafe. Septic and I contemplate the flat rear tyre and locate two foreign objects one stone and one metal...
A short while later Possu and Pumpy arrive from their digs. Ditching their panniers etc Loz's van. Possu and pumpy quickly set too on my tyre with glee and sharp metal instruments and black guoooy strips given to them by the 4x4 guys.. one bit of metal out and guooy plug fitted. Seems to be holding.

Loz re-inflating my rear with stripped down mini compressor.. with slightly dodgy wiring.. lol. Cheers guys.. it got me half way home.

Spetic and I were the last to leave (excluding the sunday riders). Stopping on the Shrewsbury road for a coffee, the rear was flat again. Out with Septics compressor (I have one but didnt bring it with me.. dough!) and whallaaa full tire.. a race home before it goes flat again..

However GS has now started to vibrate in fourth gear when doing over 50mph,, so maybe the tyre aint the only problem.. .

So a finally a big big thankyou to everyone once more for a fab weekend and I hope we can repeat it again soon.. hope everony got home safe and sound.

John.. aka rocks..

rocks screwed with this post 04-22-2007 at 04:40 PM
rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #14
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
I was part of the KTM guys in town and we also saw you guys a few times throughout the day on the trails and in the pub.

LOZ...missed ya mate.
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:27 AM   #15
the white rabbit
Vicarious

Great pics Rocks, bump into you again on the trails expect Blue