User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2007, 07:42 PM   #1
imgonnasnap OP
Motard wrecker

Oddometer: 808
Scuderia: Long beach to San Francisco

I wanted to post some pictures to share with you guys. Gearheart and I had decided to go up to san francisco a few weeks ago to meet the scuderia West KTM race team.

The days leading up to this weekend was looking grim on the weather report. Showers in southern california and northern friday all through sunday. Boy, what a trip that will be, my first long distance ride on a motorcycle, and it seemed it was going to be in the rain the entire time! I had some cold weather gear (Cortech jacket) but decided i should go on a spending spree and get some much needed gear for this weekend. Off to chapparals on thursday, loaded myself up with some tour master pants, Joe Rocket boots, and a neck cover for my helmet. Sure enough I would use every bit of this new gear this weekend.

Friday morning we got started about 7am. I thought my KTM tank bag would make a better shower cap than bag cover.

it turned out it was more of a barret style hat than shower cap.

Our plan was to head up the 101 freeway and then on to the coast highway 1. The weather, not cooperating with us very well decided to dump a load of rain on us all through L.A.. the heaviest of the year. We soon found out that our motorcycle gloves were not up to the task of cold wet weather! Unfortuantely when I was buying all my new gear it was something that hadn't even occured to me.
We decided to stop at the nearest shop and buy some new gloves. Unfortunately all we saw off the highway was a Sports Challet. We bought ourselves some waterproof snowboarding gloves. they obviously did not offer much crash protection, but they were dry and warm, that was good enough for now.

Waiting for them to open, a few more minutes, but they made us wait out in the rain.

We had a break in the weather about 45 minutes south of Santa Barbara. This was very good for us, it was just in time for the clouds to move out so we could see the powder coated mountains to the right and the beach to the left. If you have never stopped in Isla Vista, near UC Santa Barbara, to eat at freebirds, I would highly suggest it. it'll be one of the best burritos you can get.

Along the way we decided to pull over at a vista point and stretch our legs. I am not exactly sure where this is but its somewhere north of santa barbara and south of monterey

As we got off the 101 and on to highway 1, we TRIED to slow down to enjoy the scenery, but with such fantastic roadways, it was very difficult. to enjoy the scenery or the road. the road or the scenery???

A little closer you can see a small trail that leads down to the water.. Not something I would try!!

As many of you know, the 950 Super Enduros do not have very large gas tanks, and have a limited range. While on highway 1, there are very few stops for petrol. At 115 miles I was starting to get VERY worried about finding the next gas station. Every time I would come around a corner and not see anything in the form of a building or gas station, i worried just a bit more than the last corner. I think i sweated more than the motorcycle burned petrol the last few miles as that F trip meter rose!

We pulled into a small gas station with 4 pumps. not a big station at all, but we sure were glad to see it! the attendent asks us if those things we are riding were dirt bikes, I say of course! and then he asked where we were headed and I told the young man we were on our way to san francisco. He then got excited to tell me about the "old coast highway" which was apparently used before the modern bridge was built. he told me it was kind of long, and for a car that would have to go slow through the old road would take a while, but for a motorcycle it would be fairly fast. We couldnt resist and had to take a look. A few miles down the road and we make our turn off the main highway to run this trail, which was a fantastic surprise for us! it was one of my favorite parts of the whole weekend.
It starts off kind of average looking, nothing so great about it yet..

pretty decent views..

From there it drops down into a densely populated forrested area with a creek. a lot of the brush on the sides of the road had not been maintenanced in some time, so there was lots of overgrowth!

Who's gonna cross this bridge??

There was a sign that said "impassable when wet" I SHOULD have gotten a photo, but was too excited to take this detour We didn't stop
Here Gearheart got a picture of me making it through some mud, we did all we could to keep from falling into the mud!

Gearheart..

Here is the bridge that replaced this bad ass old route.

From this point we zoomed the rest of the way up and met at a freinds house. I have never been to San Francisco, so saturday morning before we headed over to the shop, Gearheart took me on a short tour around the city. Pretty cool little town.

Gearheart told me to make a funny face, but i fgured my face was funny enough looking, so i just stood there.

Finally! see some bikes!

We talked to Charlie and Casey for a long time. We had lots of questions for them, and they were kind enough to ablidge us with all our questions, and not shoo us off!

Thanks guys, It's really amazing what you have to do mentally and physically to be a player in that race. If Anyone wants to make a donation to their race efforts, i would suggest buying a bad ass looking tshirt from them. www.rallypanam.com Or even one of their bikes

The weather held up pretty well from Santa Barbara on. Even in Fricisco, it was decent. Sunday morning we loaded all our gear up ready to leave again. We were awakened with a beautiful San Fran morning:

Gearheart had pulled his renazco seat off for the night so it wouldnt get wet. Here he was cleaning the water out of his trunk.

We worked so hard to get all that mud on there, and there it is on the ground in the morning, being washed away by the rain!

We were hoping the clear, warm weather would last us until we got home back to long beach, but that wasn't the case. We were dumped on again just north of fresno off the 5 freeway. We figured it was as good a time as any to stop and get a bite to eat.

We had stopped shortly before the beginning of the grapevine that leads into L.A. It looked cold and wet, so we decided to get a move on.

ride the $*#(@) thing, and you'll quickly learn that the stain marks in your brooks were firstly from fear and then from ecstacy.
Scuderia: LB to SF
Bradshaw Bombrun 2007, 2008, 2009
Stupidly long road trip of 2009

imgonnasnap screwed with this post 04-22-2007 at 07:52 PM
imgonnasnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:51 PM   #2
doubleoh7
AKA Chief FallsAlot

Oddometer: 513
nice

i envy you on one hand... but on the rainy end i don't. nice report
doubleoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:01 AM   #3
rallybug
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
Great riding, and I love that old road

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:42 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,572
Looks like a great ride and great pics! Thanks for posting
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:19 AM   #5
imgonnasnap OP
Motard wrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh5drz
i envy you on one hand... but on the rainy end i don't. nice report
What kind of adventure is it if it isnt challenging?
ride the $*#(@) thing, and you'll quickly learn that the stain marks in your brooks were firstly from fear and then from ecstacy.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:01 PM   #6
gearheart
Bombrun Lackey

Oddometer: 378
Laugh It's time to head north

Well reported, Snap.
I will just add some Gearheart highlights
1. leather gloves that work great in sunny southern California might suck when subjected to heavy weather
2. Freeb!rds Burritos in Santa Barbara are quite possibly the best on the planet
3. Big Sur Shell Gas. what can I say, you want it, they have it (for 4.78 a gallon) at least they turned us onto the secret of "Old Coast Road"
4. Highway 1. I am not too fond of pavement but this one is pretty OK
5. Scuderia West. great shop, great product knowedge, GREAT BBQ
6. Team Rally PanAmerica. The reason we made this trip, thanks for taking the time to answer a thousand questions in addition to explaining about "sandy three tracks"
7. The House of Prime Rib on Van Ness Ave. if you have ever eaten there, then no explanition is necessary.
8. City of San Francisco. a great destination for a weekend trip
9. The 5 Freeway. OK, there is nothing good about the 5.
A great weekend all in all.
gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:13 AM   #7
ThomD
Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 783
Looks like fun.

Do you have any more details on where that old highway is?

Edit: Found it. It looks like it is near Andrew Molera state park.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:09 AM   #8
imgonnasnap OP
Motard wrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomD
Looks like fun.

Do you have any more details on where that old highway is?

Edit: Found it. It looks like it is near Andrew Molera state park.

Here is a map of the area. that road that goes inland is the old coast highway. When we came up to it there was a sign that said "Andrew molera state park" and it was opposite of that.

The star of the following map is the gas station/deli that the dude gave me the map. you can see it wasnt too far from it.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:34 AM   #9
ThomD
Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 783
Thanks. I checked it out in Google Earth and it looks great. My wife and I are talking about taking our bicycles down there.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:19 PM   #10
Jawdropper
Ca y'est, On y go!

Oddometer: 108
Thumb Awesome!

I wish I had caught up to you guys, I was itchen for some dirt all weekend. Nice report! Freebirds is just down the way from me here in SB. Next time you come by, let me know, I'll chow and ride with you.

NICE REPORT!

JD

"...but as for myself, to me he doth not stink."
Jawdropper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:39 AM   #11
gearheart
Bombrun Lackey

Oddometer: 378
Freebirds

Jawdropper, we will be heading back for some Freebirds soon and will be in touch.

Mike
gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote