User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2007, 03:24 PM   #1
Burtonridr OP
Wanderlost

Oddometer: 3,717
Poison creek, ID

So I met up with Ryan and HeadingNorth for my first over night ride. We left Out of nampa at about 6pm and went straight south out of Nampa on highway 45 (I try and convince out of state people that we aren’t all hicks out here but of course we still deal with tractors, farm equipment, and cattle roaming down the highways)

and across the snake river. Then east onto highway 78 until we came up to Murphy. We caught the guy just as he was leaving, I mean he was like in the parking lot walking to his truck and was nice enough to open back up and switch on the pumps. We didn’t even have to ask or beg, (Im sure it may have come close to that or possibly bribery, there was no way we going back 40 miles to get gas )Very nice guy, with a nice establishment, he runs the kitchen/restaurant inside, gas pumps, and convenient store basically by himself.

So after bullshitting with the guy for a few minutes while paying for our gas we hit the road. But didn’t get far because ryan’s baseball cap fell off his bike, Phil stopped and turned around for it and I snapped a shot of him catching back up to me.

After we hoped off the highway and took Oreana loop, and hoped onto some other road I had to snap this picture of the tumble weeds lining the sides of the road. (When we came back through someone had taken like a snowplow or something and made a big 20’tall mound with a base about 20’ in diameter with all the tumble weeds, I wanted to light it on fire )

Pick of Phil sliding to a stop after we just turned around… we weren’t lost just not where we thought we were.

We stoped here at the turn off to doyles place, which we ended up coming out of the next day.

Here are some pics of the camp site the next morning, notice Phil in his PJ’s and slippers. Hehe this guy knows how to relax and enjoy the camping experience.

Ok I had to snap this picture so everyone believes me when I say ryan was just short of packing a five star resort on his motorcycle. His stuff is on the right, my stuff on the left. That black bag on the right is something like 10,000 cu. in….. Im not kidding, I didn’t know they made such a thing, and if that’s not enough, ryan rode the whole day with everything perfectly balanced on his motorcycle. It was pretty amazing.

More of the stuff that fills the black bag

Checking the map, somewhere..

Phil coming up the path. (btw, thats dust on my lense.. not fog.... my camera started having some serious issues and I need to have it cleaned or something)

Ryan and all his gear

This was a pretty cool detour, it is an old abandon mine in the middle of nowhere. First pic is of the old house, there was a dead cow inside. Apparently Ryan got a pic of it, maybe he will post it (cough cough) .

The hillside with all the tailings and some tower thingy, maybe a hopper to hold all the ore to be melted down?

Under the tower/hopper

Where the shaft used to be.

Ryan crossing the creek

Old outhouse up on the hillside

After I ran all the way back down, there were ready to go.

So we headed out this 5 mile detour(not the mine detour)

We ran into this…. ARRGHH, somehow we got all turned around, I hate gates.

Look how good Phil rides after taking Ryans crash course the last few weeks. He got over that huge rut like it was nothing.

Hehe but its not a good ride without a spill or two. I couldn’t get a good shot since I was to far away. But if you squint you can see the blue piece that is the side of phil’s bike on its side. And ryan in the red going to help him up

Ryan and phil decided to swap wives at this point.

Phil Crossing the creek near doyles place

And Ryan riding phils wife….

"This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds."

Burtonridr screwed with this post 04-24-2007 at 03:42 PM
Burtonridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
SkidinNC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Looks like a damn good time; nice pics.
SkidinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,591
"Swap wifes," huh? Must be a magic code word to allow google to find this post.

Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
Burtonridr OP
Wanderlost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
"Swap wifes," huh? Must be a magic code word to allow google to find this post.

"This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds."

Old 04-24-2007, 04:12 PM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,387
Looks like a good time
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
ryanwilliamcantrell
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,859
Thumb From my view...

I'm short on time, so here are the pics for now. I'll add a commentary soon... I hope!

A preview of our ride

An open road to no-wheres-ville. Love it.

Getting into Oreanna.

Oreanna. Not a whole lot there. A really cool, old, church though... sorry no pics.

Oreanna cut off road(?) Fast gravel (like 70 mph fully loaded). Though, at times, there were sections of deep, loose pea-gravel. Very akward to hit at 70mph.

Great Sunset!

Poison Creek camping

Mud Flat Rd. Great views up here. Around 6000 ft.

Which way are we going?!

Macho men. Sam's logo. "If you travel beyond this point, you will be responsible for costs of search and rescue". Super.

What it looked like... just before we got in over our heads with our bikes fully loaded...

Super pretty Antelope Ridge Rd.

It started to get nasty, and Phil's heart rate increased.

Ya. Got really nasty. Up to Phil's tank in ruts!!! Antelope got too nasty for us to do the 50 miles or so into jordan valley fully loaded, so we opted for a shorter ride through another local road.

The shot that I've become famous for.
Near Juniper Station.

You wouldn't believe the crap that Phil was navigating this DL through! He was a trooper!!! Talk about a steep learning curve. That's guys learning ability, great atitude and guts never cease to impress me.

Where's the beef?

Poop.

Guess we took a wrong turn?

Eric's turn...

Doyle's Place.

ryanwilliamcantrell screwed with this post 04-25-2007 at 11:57 AM
ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:36 PM   #7
Gilgamesh
God-King of Ur

Oddometer: 780
Gilgamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:42 PM   #8
kkahlm
Kelly

Oddometer: 124
More please.. I really miss my home state!!

2008 VSTROM 650
kkahlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:04 PM   #9
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,901
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:43 PM   #10
HeadingNorth
Keep On The Gas!!

Oddometer: 987
Once again the camara catchs fantastic photo's. It was a really nice trip that only had a couple of hours of natsy in it.

Ryan and Eric are great riders that really do a lot to help me through the hard spots. I promise guys, I WILL get better!!!
Old 04-25-2007, 07:50 AM   #11
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,110
Thumb

Guys, I am so sorry I missed that ride, but I had other obligations You guys are definetly my kind of riders, and Phil for somone who I met in Febuary on his first dirt oriented...I mean snow/mud oriented ride, I had my reservations especially on a DL650. Through your forduitude and persuresivence...not to mention lack of fear or stupidity/niaveness or just cause Ryan has dragged you into places these places you are fastly becoming an acomplished rider...BRAVO

Now for Ryan, AKA RWC next time I take some extended weekend ride with Heath and Kyle Andy and so on I need you along, cause that camping load will sure take the pressure off of me, cause I always take shit for my well provisioned steed (but do you have a magical bubber mallet). Then agin your set for boonbocking not motel hopping.

Now guys you know you are really exposing to the world through photography the wonders of the Owyhees, aren't the Owyhees wonderful, I've been exploring out there for 10 years and still barely scrach the surface of course I did much of it on a TW200 with limited range and cargo load.

Eric, an excellent pictorial report, it appears that I really missed out on this ride looks like everyone had a great time. BTW really wish you could have joined me on the ICT ride but I understand, so, I want to wish you a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY this weekend, I remember...oh I forget must old age, enjoy.

I'm going on the ICT.
Sam

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:19 AM   #12
brother dan
Lost in my mind

Oddometer: 238
Great pictures guys! I was out there yesterday myself (but on west end)

Funny how it never seems to change much out there.

Dan
brother dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:27 AM   #13
ryanwilliamcantrell
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother dan
Great pictures guys! I was out there yesterday myself (but on west end)

Funny how it never seems to change much out there.

Dan
Ya, Eric and I went out last night after work down Rabbit Creek - in search of a fishing hole.

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:39 AM   #14
Burtonridr OP
Wanderlost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell
Ya, Eric and I went out last night after work down Rabbit Creek - in search of a fishing hole.
hehe yea its an urban myth or something... no fishin hole found, but it was great scenery and awesome riding

Old 04-25-2007, 12:02 PM   #15
Cleveage
Life at the Rock!

Oddometer: 23
Bravo Phil!!!! I'm very impressed with your skills! Nice to see someone with a BIG TRIAL bike keeping up with those guys. I'm going to have to break out the Tiger soon and join you guys on one of these runs. Then Phil will have someone to ride with!
Nice post guys!!!