User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #31
Indian-woodsman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 934
Valley Boy Here!

If you are from Harlingen then you know where Mission Texas is. Glad to see we have a few Valley Boys here. In regards to riding in Mexico HMMM!! I suppose if you made it in and out count yourself lucky. Our US government has been putting out travel advisories http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...s/cis_970.html
Yes I have traveled there many times with no problem and made it home unscathed. Except one time I was in a two car carravan in Mexico Monterrey with some native friends. I was in the second vehicle a big ford van. The first vehicle was a Monte Carlo both vehicles with Texas plates. It was daylight out about 5 pm and we were on our way to a restaurant for dinner. The Monte Carlo was struck by a Mexican plate vehicle that had run a stop sign. Nobody was hurt, the driver of the Mexican plate car was drinking he spilled his beer all over his shirt and as we inspected the minor damage you could see his wet shirt and smell the beer. Our native friend took control and told those that were riding in the monte to pile in the van and to go on ahead to the restaurant he would stay at the scene of the accident with my friend and the Monte carlo. Up to this point I was an eye witness. As a famous radio personality says "now the rest of the story"
Our native friend met up with us at the restaurant alone about an hour later. We had been eating appatizers and salsa chips. He recounts the police arrived sent the drinking driver on his way and took our friend into custody and towed his vehicle. We were upset but Oscar our host said not to worry he is working on his release. The next morning good as his word our family friend was returned to us. I was also informed that the reason he had the passengers of the Monte get into the van was cause it was cheaper to get one out of a mexican jail than five. My family friend was fully insured but it took seven months to secure the release of the Monte. It was a mess. The entire custom stereo system was gone and it was missing the custom aluminum rims and tires and was now rolling on a missmatched set of steel rims and bald tires. I saw the one dent the moment it was in the accident, now i was looking at the car and their was dents on every panel of the car. It did not start the battery was missing.
He had it towed to his house and the Insurance company came out and declared it totaled. It was my friends first new car and his pride and joy.
How do I feel about Mexico? I love Mexico but it is not the USA and the rights we have here do not extend to a foreign country. If I have any advice it would be have full coverage and Sanborns insurance for the interior of mexico, make sure you have all documentation and if at all possible try to travel with a native friend.
Best of Luck
Jim
Indian-woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:40 AM   #32
scottr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,768
Good Job Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz
And you can visit the gohst town:
You have successfully convinced several people they need to ride your area. You should tell them the full story however. Really. Exactly what can we expect when encountering your local authorities and/or perhaps a bandito or two?
scottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:14 PM   #33
Regio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz
I have the track log on mapsource from our trip to Real De Catorce. If you want it I can try and figure out a way to post it. Hope you liked the pics.
Bien hecho mi estimadísimo zamora! Arrancate ya con la de dos llantas...Saludos, Riojas.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:55 PM   #34
Ozz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regio
Bien hecho mi estimadísimo zamora! Arrancate ya con la de dos llantas...Saludos, Riojas.
Working on it!!! Ya me decidí por la KLR650 2008. Me dijeron en San Antonio que les van a llegar diez. Espero comprarla este mes. Qu e haz visto de interesante por aqui?
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:07 PM   #35
Regio
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz
Working on it!!! Ya me decidí por la KLR650 2008. Me dijeron en San Antonio que les van a llegar diez. Espero comprarla este mes. Qu e haz visto de interesante por aqui?
Que bueno, es una excelente opcion.

Yo ayer a medio dia me di una vuletesita doble proposito por acá, en los alrededores del nevado de toluca. Fueron 250 kms. Nomás que no tomé fotos. Yo creo que la voy a volver a hacer el proximo fin y me llevo la camara ahora.

Este está buenero, puro KLR power...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226126
Old 05-06-2007, 08:14 PM   #36
Regio
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottr
You have successfully convinced several people they need to ride your area. You should tell them the full story however. Really. Exactly what can we expect when encountering your local authorities and/or perhaps a bandito or two?
Scottr, I´m not ozz, am a local monterreyan living in mexico city for the time being, but I know the area very well. And a good friend of ozz by the way (schoolmates since kids).

Authorities are not a problem, and no bandidos around. It´s the other way around; people are friendly and very helpful. I´m not exagerating here: sometimes they´ll invite you into their modest houses and give ypu whatever they´re having for lunch.

Trust me on this, you´ll never feel unsecure. And for the most part there are no restrctions regarding land ownership, you can ride anywhere any time.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:21 PM   #37
scottr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regio
Scottr, I´m not ozz, am a local monterreyan living in mexico city for the time being, but I know the area very well. And a good friend of ozz by the way (schoolmates since kids).

Authorities are not a problem, and no bandidos around. It´s the other way around; people are friendly and very helpful. I´m not exagerating here: sometimes they´ll invite you into their modest houses and give ypu whatever they´re having for lunch.

Trust me on this, you´ll never feel unsecure. And for the most part there are no restrctions regarding land ownership, you can ride anywhere any time.
Thank you very very much. I really want to experience riding in these areas ... as I live in Texas ... its just intimidating when you personally know folks kidnapped and held for ransom. I have two such acquaintances. Not molested in the areas in question however. Thanks again.
scottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:26 PM   #38
koncha

Oddometer: 10,040
Great report.

If you are viewing in SmugMug, change the style to 'Journal' and there is some good commentary.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:18 PM   #39
Ozz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottr
In the last 20 years I’ve had the opportunity to travel to different countries in various continents, and I’ve heard of situations like the one Woodsman described, or at least involving some type of authority abuse, in many places including France, US, Brazil, China, Germany, Italy…and so on. Is it more likely to happen in some countries than others? Perhaps. Is it fair to say that it is not safe to travel in any place were you’ve heard such encounters? IMO, no. And this relates not just to adventure riding, but any type of travel. If I would have avoided traveling to these countries because of these issues, I would have never met the beautiful people and experienced the great moments that I still regard as part of my success in life. At least I consider it “success”! jaja.

When you are preparing to travel in a different country there are several things that you need to consider. Although they seem very obvious, it is amazing how many times we overlook these “obvious” things: PASSPORT!!!. Valid, current picture ID. Do you need a visa? Currency. Will there be a language barrier? What are some typical customs or traditions of the people you are going to meet? If you are bringing in a vehicle (motorcycle in this case), what are the regulations involved? Ownership title, License plate. Do you need a special permit at the border? Insurance, motorcyclist license. On and on. Have everything that is required, and you won’t be in trouble.

Then there are the obvious things you want to leave behind: Illegal drugs, firearms and ammunition of any kind, endangered species (and I don’t mean virgins!), clothing made out of an endangered species. Etc.

EJTV mentioned in his post the military checkpoints. These are very common. They are very straight forward with their questions. They don’t like jokes. I personally would have never taken a picture. These checkpoints are typically looking for drugs and firearms. They are very respectful and will not bother you.

I have to admit that I was kind of surprised to see Woodsman's post and I totally respect his comments. I was surprised not because of his bad experience, but because I’ve been looking through the “Riding Reports” in this forum and I actually lost track of the number of adv riders that have traveled in and out of Mexico and they seem to have had a great time. These are members that have been in this forum for a number of years. I’m new in this forum, but I would really like to read their opinion on this subject. Some of them have crossed the whole country!!!

One last comment, in order to be safe riding in any country, the same basic rules apply: Don’t ride alone, always stay as group (I would suggest at least four riders). Be respectful of the people and places you encounter. Motorcycle and gear in good condition. First aid package. Etc. You guys know all about this much better than I!!! If you are going to a different country, ride with someone who knows the language or even better, that is from the area. After all, part of the objective of these forums is to meet people with your same interests.

Come to the Eastern Sierra Madre, like my old buddy Regio said you’ll find friendly people, good food and a great time.

That’s my 2 PESOS worth!!!
Old 05-07-2007, 04:44 AM   #40
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeds
Shhhhhh .... don't tell anyone and we can keep it to ourselves.

Of course, the drive across Texas will stop most folks.

Beautiful photos!!

... some of us just stayed in Texas ... why to go back to Pennsylvania?
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:49 PM   #41
Ozz
Gnarly Adventurer

I'll be visiting Ciudad Victoria area/El Cielo in a month or so and plan to follow terracerías from Laguna de Sanchez all the way down to El Cielo. Maybe you have a suggestion or two.

EJTV, about El Cielo, I don't know much about that location except that it is situated in a very nice area. It is popular among local DP, enduro and ATV riders. I also want ride that area. Let me find out more about it, best routes, hotels, etc. and I'll let you know. Someone told me there is a long downhill single track stretch between Laguna de Sanchez and some point going towards El Cileo, that has some degree of dificulty. I'll find out exactly about that as well.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:24 AM   #42
Teeds
Don Quixote

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Alejo
... some of us just stayed in Texas ... why to go back to Pennsylvania?
Well then ... HOWDY and welcome!
we are NOT human beings having a spiritual experience, rather we ARE spiritual BEINGS having a human experience - johnjen
Teeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:19 AM   #43
Carl.Custer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Whoa, is the first picture, after the map, the old railroad station/police station?
"Daniel and Roberto leaving Harlingen Friday April 20 in the afternoon."
I lived around the corner on N 2nd street across from the park.

I lived in Harlingen from 1948 to 1956. Last time I visited was in 1972.
Man had it changed.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:20 AM   #44
Trophy1298
Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer: 5,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz
I Is it fair to say that it is not safe to travel in any place were you’ve heard such encounters? IMO, no. And this relates not just to adventure riding, but any type of travel. If I would have avoided traveling to these countries because of these issues, I would have never met the beautiful people and experienced the great moments that I still regard as part of my success in life. At least I consider it “success”! jaja.
Just about every non-rider I know, have known, or simply came in contact with at some point or another in my 20+ years of riding, has told me I shouldn't ride b/c motorcycles are dangerous (and had stories to back up their claims). Living is risky and death is imminent. So you have to ask yourself... I'm I gonna live as much as possible or die on the couch watching TV.

BTW, great pics of a beautiful area.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:24 PM   #45
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,202
Ozz/Regio: thanks for the tips and pictures. Maybe I'll start the trip at Monterrey/Canón de Huasteca and make my way south to El Cielo through some of the terracerías suggested and make the side trip to Real de Catorce. Amazing that the natural beauty of the Eastern Sierra Madre is just a few hours from the Rio Grande Valley!

I understand why some riders from the US are concerned about what you read on the papers re drug gangs in Mexico. Like anything else, it is no better or no worse than in the US. Yes you need to be patient with the buraucracy of getting a visa and a permit, which is such a waste for everyone, but if you use common sense, you'll be fime. The guys at the international bridge already know me and they get me ahead of the line, literally, no fuss. And once you leave the border towns and are deep in the Sierra, the experience for me has been incredible. Mexican people are gentle, respectful and attentive to your needs.

Here are a couple of pictures South of Laguna de Sanchez on a terracería connecting to Rayones to prove both points:

etkj >  > S. Texas to Sierra Madre (Laguna del Sanchez-Rayones-Galeana) photo

etkj > family somewhere between the pass and La Boquilla River
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote